Can I manage to do both: Computer Science and Research in Physics?

In summary, the person in this conversation is a physics graduate from Delhi University who is interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics, data science, and computer software engineering. They have recently cleared the Clerk exam in the Indian government and are about to start a job. They are considering applying to top colleges in the USA or Europe for graduate studies in physics while also being interested in studying machine learning, artificial intelligence, and data science. They want to work in a product-based company or start their own start-up. They are seeking advice on how to manage their time and which path to choose. The advice given is to focus on one specific direction, to research and apply to specific programs, and to make decisions when offers are on the table. It is
rahaverhma
I'm a physics graduate from Delhi University, India. Aspirant of Theoretical Physicist . Right now , cleared Clerk in Govt. of India exam. About to get Job. I want to go for some top notch college in USA/Europe for Graduate physics. But also interested in Computer Software Engineering. Want to study Machine Learning + Artificial Intelligence + Data Science ( all 3 if possible because it complements , but will be happy with any 1 out of first two if only one is possible to study ). As I want to work in Product based company or start a Start-up. So, what should I do if I want to explore and advent both , the research in Theoretical Physics, and Engineering in CS. How the time should be managed ? Where should I go ? Etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want to be a theoretical physicist, data scientist, computer software engineer working in a start-up?

I'm not sure how to say this gently, but seeing as how you've completed your undergraduate studies, it seems the time has come for you to chose a specific direction. Juggling many different options is great for a certain amount of time, but eventually you end up sacrificing depth for breadth. It's hard to get really good at something if you're not working on it full time.

One means that people use to make these kinds of decisions is simply to survey the specific options available to them. If you're serious about pursuing physics, apply to graduate school and find a project to work on that you love. Find a computer engineering program that will accept physics graduates and apply. Similar for a data science program. Then make specific decisions when you have specific offers on the table.

Likes Vanadium 50 and vela
Choppy said:
So you want to be a theoretical physicist, data scientist, computer software engineer working in a start-up?

Here's what he wrote 4 years ago:
rahaverhma said:
No, sir. I want to be like Alan turing. Physics and mathematics (which already I am with) and computers. It is because I am self-motivated in computers too. I mean, a computer engineer, too.

He kind of lost interest in the thread. Indeed, he loses interest in a lot of the threads he starts.

OP, how long have you been out of undergraduate? Two years? Four? An issue with grad school related to what @Choppy wrote is when you write "I want to go to grad school to study XYZ", you will need to havea good answer to "then why did you wait so long?"

Likes berkeman

1. Can I pursue a career in both computer science and research in physics simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to have a career in both computer science and research in physics. Many scientists have successfully combined these two fields in their work.

2. Do I need to have a background in both computer science and physics to do research in this area?

While having a background in both fields can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many researchers have backgrounds in one field and have developed skills and knowledge in the other through their work and collaborations.

3. How can I balance my time and responsibilities between computer science and research in physics?

Time management and prioritization are key in balancing these two fields. It is important to set clear goals and priorities, communicate effectively with your team, and make use of resources such as scheduling tools to help manage your time effectively.

4. Are there any specific areas of research that combine computer science and physics?

Yes, there are many areas of research that combine these two fields, such as quantum computing, computational physics, and machine learning in physics. It is important to explore different areas and find the intersection that interests you the most.

5. What are the career prospects for someone with a background in both computer science and physics?

The career prospects for individuals with a background in both computer science and physics are promising. They can pursue careers in fields such as data science, software engineering, or research and development in various industries. Additionally, having a diverse skill set can make you a valuable asset in the job market.