Cement Capacitors based on carbon black and concrete for use in energy storage

In summary, the article discusses a large electric capacitor based on carbon black and concrete. The capacitor would be used for electric power storage - often in proximity to the electric power demand, for example, a home. The capacitor would have a limited lifetime due to the cost of concrete and the need for replacement lithium batteries.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
MIT Scientists have described a large electric capacitors based on carbon black and concrete for use in energy storage.
  • Skeptical
  • Informative
Likes Rive, Bystander and berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
... is there anybody still remembers the historical idea of the PV rooftiles?...
This one is the same feeling.

Likes Tom.G and Bystander
Rive said:
... is there anybody still remembers the historical idea of the PV rooftiles?...
This one is the same feeling.
and @Tom.G and and @Bystander -- This is an article is in a peer-reviewed journal on our list of acceptable references. Which part of the article do you have problems with specifically?

https://mjl.clarivate.com/search-results

Arggh! Caught.
I had not read the article, now I have and it seems doable.:))

The only immediately possible drawback I spot is the cost (and maybe the question of where will you put a 12 foot cube of concrete).

With the cost of concrete around USD $250 per cubic meter poured, times an assumed factor of 3 to 6 for the 'non-standard mix', I get $34,000 to $67,000 for the 'capacitor.'
(https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cost+poured+concrete+per+cubic+meter)

Google reports that 10kWH (as mentioned in the report) of Lithium batteries is $1510.
(https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=price+per+kwh+lithium-ion+batteries)

If you assume the Li battery needs replacement every six years, the break-even period is 135 years. (of course if you use just the cost of concrete itself you get payback in 45 years.)

So, doable? Likely. Financially astute? Hmm...

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. cost of money, interest rates, and inflation NOT included

edit: added search links

berkeman said:
Which part of the article do you have problems with specifically?
I found this article a very 'academic' one - in the wrong sense.

It's focusing on a tiny aspect of a very complex matter, and that makes it just ... dull.
Especially for the 'Engineering' section of the forum.
I could appreciate something about the mating habits of fruit flies a lot more.

Also, for me this kind of thing is a bit personal. I have a long history of trying to put some sense into 'green' energy matters on various forums, and these type of 'out of context' papers made it an endless, hopeless nightmare.

Last edited:
Rive said:
and that makes it just ... dull.
Kind of like watching ... cement dry? :smile:

berkeman said:
and @Bystander -- This is an article is in a peer-reviewed journal on our list of acceptable
Scale; believe it when I see it.

1. What is a cement capacitor?

A cement capacitor is a type of energy storage device that uses a mixture of carbon black and concrete as the dielectric material. It is used to store electrical energy and release it when needed.

2. How does a cement capacitor work?

A cement capacitor works by storing electrical charge in the form of an electric field between the carbon black and concrete layers. When a voltage is applied, the charge is stored in the form of polarized molecules. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor releases the stored energy.

3. What are the advantages of using cement capacitors for energy storage?

There are several advantages to using cement capacitors for energy storage. They have a high energy density, meaning they can store a large amount of energy in a small space. They also have a long lifespan and are resistant to high temperatures and harsh environments. Additionally, they are cost-effective and environmentally friendly, as they do not contain hazardous materials.

4. What are some potential applications of cement capacitors?

Cement capacitors can be used in a variety of applications, including renewable energy systems, electric vehicles, and grid-scale energy storage. They can also be used in consumer electronics, such as smartphones and laptops, to improve battery life and reduce charging times.

5. Are there any limitations to using cement capacitors for energy storage?

While cement capacitors have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They have a lower energy density compared to other types of capacitors, such as lithium-ion batteries. They also have a slower charging and discharging rate, making them more suitable for long-term energy storage rather than quick bursts of energy. Additionally, the production process for cement capacitors can be complex and require specialized equipment.