Center of Mass (Boxcar water example)

In summary, a boxcar with a length of 8.00 m and height of 2.40 m, at rest on frictionless rails, has a mass of 3750 kg. Inside, there is a 2.00 m long and 2.40 m tall tank containing 2450 kg of water. As the tank leaks, the water spreads evenly and the boxcar moves to maintain its center of mass. After 14 seconds, the displacement of the boxcar is -1.19 meters to the left of its initial position. The final position can also be calculated using the equation MX_{cmf} = MX_{cmi}, where M is the total mass and x is the final position.
BMcC
A boxcar of length 8.00 m and height 2.40 m is at rest on frictionless rails.

The empty boxcar has a mass of 3750 kg. Inside the boxcar, located at the left end, is a tank containing 2450 kg of water. The tank is 2.00 m long and 2.40 m tall. The tank starts to leak, and the water fills the floor of the boxcar uniformly. Assume that all the water stays in the box car.

1) What is the displacement of the boxcar 14 s after the water has settled in the bottom?

SO my original thinking was that the final velocity of the boxcar will be zero after all of the water has leaked out. What I've been trying to do is find the Center of Mass of the boxcar initially and subtracting it from 4m, which I believe to be the final center of mass once the water has settled. Taking the lower left corner of the boxcar as the origin:

I went Xcmi = (4m)(3750kg boxcar) + (1m)(2450kg tank), and dividing this by the total mass (3750kg + 2450kg) to get 2.9m. Then when I go 4m - 2.9m, I get 1.19m which I thought would be the displacement, but I was wrong.

Could anybody steer me in the right direction? I know I'm close, I'm just not quite sure what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
you're right, you just forgot to indicate the magnitude. The boxcar moves to the left so displacement is -1.19m

Not according to my online assignment!

Anyone?

BMcC said:
I went Xcmi = (4m)(3750kg boxcar) + (1m)(2450kg tank), and dividing this by the total mass (3750kg + 2450kg) to get 2.9m. Then when I go 4m - 2.9m, I get 1.19m which I thought would be the displacement, but I was wrong.

this is the center of mass that you have calculated. if the box car doesn't move when water spreads evenly on the floor, then the center of mass would be at 4 meters from the left end of the car. But that is not so, boxcar has to move so that center of mass doesn't change, so it has to move such that its center lies 2.81 meters from the initial position of left end of the car. Now you tell me in which direction boxcar has to move!:wink:

the above is an intuitive method, you can also do it by equating final and initial center of mass.

P.S. - in the equation you wrote, you forgot to write M term on the left side of the equation. I assume this a typo because rest of the calculation seems correct apart from rounding 2.81 to 2.9.

Okay so it would lie 2.81 meters to the left of its initial position? And yeah that was a typo with the 2.9 - oops!

BMcC said:
Okay so it would lie 2.81 meters to the left of its initial position? And yeah that was a typo with the 2.9 - oops!

I guess it wasn't clear enough what I wrote :

it has to move such that its center lies 2.81 meters from the initial position of left end of the car
the center of mass doesn't change. so the center car of the car moves to the center of mass calculated but initially it was at 4 meters, that is the boxcar moves to the left by 1.19 meters or a total displacement of -1.19.

The intuitive method is not easy to explain, it develops with practice.

Try the regular method:

##MX_{cmi}= (4m)(3750kg) + (1m)(2450kg)= x(3750kg + 2450kg)##
##MX_{cmf}= x(3750kg + 2450kg)##
##MX_{cmf}=MX_{cmi}##
Solving this for x gives final position of the boxcar.

Displacement will be final minus initial position.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed and the object or system can be balanced. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the distances of all the individual masses from a reference point. This point can be located by balancing the object or system on a pivot or by using mathematical equations.

3. Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand how an object or system will behave under external forces, such as gravity. It also helps determine the stability and balance of an object or system.

4. What is the significance of the "boxcar water example" in understanding the concept of center of mass?

The boxcar water example is a common illustration used to explain the concept of center of mass. It helps us visualize how an object's center of mass can change depending on the distribution of its mass, and how this can affect the object's stability and balance.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This can happen when an object has an irregular shape or when the mass is not evenly distributed. In these cases, the center of mass may be located at a point outside the physical boundaries of the object.