Center of mass involving changing positions

In summary: The center of mass is located at the center of the canoe. When they switch positions, the center of mass goes from being to the left of the center of the canoe to being to the right of the center of the canoe. The canoe's center moved 35 cm in this process.
chenying

Homework Statement

Richard, mass 80 kg, and Judy, who is less massive, are enjoying Lake George at dusk in a 30 kg canoe. When the canoe is at rest in the placid water, they change seats, which are 3.0 m apart and symmetrically located with respect to the canoe's center. Richard notices that the canoe moved 35 cm relative to a submerged log and calculates Judy's mass. What is it?

Homework Equations

Center of mass equation: ([tex]\Sigma[/tex]m*x)/M

M = total mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so since they shifter positions, their center of mass did not change at all. So I set the coordinate system at the center of the canoe.

So after the canoe shifted and after they change their positions, i set both the center of masses together.

m(richard)*-1.5 + m(judy)*1.5 + m(canoe)*0 = m(richard)*1 + m(judy)*-2 + m(canoe)*.5

solving for m(judy) i got 60 kg.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass doesn't change position with respect to the log. It does change with respect to the center of the canoe.

Doc Al said:
The center of mass doesn't change position with respect to the log. It does change with respect to the center of the canoe.

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying. Doesn't the center of mass shift to the opposite side of where its original position?

chenying said:
Doesn't the center of mass shift to the opposite side of where its original position?
Yes--with respect to the center of the canoe. Relate the change in its position to the change in position of the canoe.

Doc Al said:
Yes--with respect to the center of the canoe. Relate the change in its position to the change in position of the canoe.

I still don't really understand what you are saying...Sorry but bear with me, center of mass is not my forte

chenying said:
I still don't really understand what you are saying...Sorry but bear with me, center of mass is not my forte
You were partly on track. The left hand side of your equation made sense, but not the right hand side.

Just as you say, the center of mass shifts from one side of the canoe to the other. Draw yourself a diagram of how the canoe must move to keep the center of mass fixed. Set that change in canoe position equal to the amount given in the problem and then you can solve for the unknown mass.

(Don't be too hard on yourself--this kind of problem is a bit tricky.)

So when it says that it moves 50 cm relative to a log, is that the distance that the log moved to keep its center of mass at a fixed point?

Ahhhh you're offline...crap, can anyone else help me?

chenying said:
So when it says that it moves 50 cm relative to a log, is that the distance that the log moved to keep its center of mass at a fixed point?
The log doesn't move--think of it as just sitting quietly in a calm lake. The canoe moves in order to keep the center of mass of "canoe + Richard + Judy" at a fixed point. (I thought the canoe moved 35 cm, not 50.)

Hint: Where is the center of mass with reference to the center of the canoe? Say it starts out at a distance X to the left of the center. (Write an expression for that distance in terms of the masses.) When they swap positions where does the center of mass end up? Of course we know that it's the canoe that moved, not the center of mass--so how much did the canoe's center move? Use that to set up your equation.

Related to Center of mass involving changing positions

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point at which an object will balance and rotate around.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the average position of all the particles that make up an object. This can be done by finding the sum of each particle's mass multiplied by its position, divided by the total mass of the object.

Does the center of mass change when an object changes position?

Yes, the center of mass changes when an object changes position. This is because the position of each particle in the object has changed, therefore affecting the average position of all the particles.

What factors can affect the center of mass?

The center of mass can be affected by the distribution of mass within an object, the shape of the object, and the position of the object in relation to other objects or a gravitational field.

Why is the concept of center of mass important in physics?

The concept of center of mass is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion and stability of objects. It is also essential in calculating the effects of forces and collisions on an object.