Gravitational Forces between two masses

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force between a mass of 7M/8 and a mass of M/8, with the latter being a carved out sphere. The approach involves considering a smaller sphere with negative density superimposed within the larger sphere and using superposition to calculate the gravitational force. This method avoids the need for negative mass density.
SpectraPhy09
Homework Statement
From a sphere of mass M and radius R, a smaller sphere of radius R/2 is carved out such that a cavity made in the original sphere is between its centre and periphery (Plz check the image I have attached). For this configuration in the figure where distance between the centre and the original sphere and the removed sphere is 3R, the gravitational force between the two sphere is?
Relevant Equations
F = GM1M2/r²
Density of the Sphere = 3M/4πR³
Mass of carved out sphere
= density × 4π/3 × R³/8
= M/8
The position of center of mass of The Sphere
Untitled3.png

{M(0) - M/8(R/2)}/M-M/8
-R/14

So total distance between centers of the two bodies is R/14 + 3R = 43R/14

So now I found force between the Mass 7M/8 (left out mass) and M/8
F = (G 7M/8 × M/8)/ (43R/14)²
F = 343GM²/2958R²
But this ans is given incorrect in my textbook
Is my approach wrong, or did I did something wrong?
Also is there any other method to solve this question?

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_174621.png
    IMG_20211116_174621.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 68
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The
SpectraPhy09 said:
The position of center of mass of The Sphere
The problem is that you no longer have a sphere.

Newton's universal law of gravitation (##F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}##) works for point objects and for spherically symmetric objects. It does not work for oddly shaped objects such as spheres with holes carved out. [Newton's Shell Theorem is how you prove that spheres work]

There is a trick that you are expected to use here. Consider the original sphere with a smaller sphere of negative density super-imposed within it. This is the same thing as a hole, but is easier to calculate with.

Note that I have not checked your math for errors. Only your approach.

Likes Steve4Physics and Delta2
jbriggs444 said:
Consider the original sphere with a smaller sphere of negative density super-imposed within it
But how can there be a negative Mass density?
This same approach is there in my textbook also But I didn't get it

Likes Delta2
SpectraPhy09 said:
The gravitational effect of a sphere with a hole is the same as the gravitational effect of the whole sphere minus the effect of the material that once filled the hole, do you agree?

If so, work the problem that way.

The math does not care whether you subtract positive mass or add negative mass.

• Informative
  • Love
Likes PhDeezNutz, gmax137, SpectraPhy09 and 1 other person
Think superposition. If the sphere were solid and you calculated the force between it and the smaller sphere, that would be too much. You have to subtract something. See figure below.

Hollow sphere.png

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
SpectraPhy09 said:
I don't get it either! Instead:

Gravity of big sphere = Gravity of big sphere with little sphere missing + Gravity of little sphere

Hence:

Gravity of big sphere with little sphere missing = Gravity of big sphere - Gravity of little sphere

No need for negative mass density!

1. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force between two masses?

The formula for calculating gravitational force between two masses is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between two masses affect the gravitational force between them?

The gravitational force between two masses is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

3. What is the gravitational constant and why is it important in calculations of gravitational force?

The gravitational constant (G) is a fundamental constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is important in calculations of gravitational force because it allows us to determine the force between two masses without needing to know their exact values.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the gravitational force it exerts on other objects?

The gravitational force an object exerts on another object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass increases, the force also increases.

5. Is gravitational force the same as weight?

No, gravitational force and weight are not the same. Gravitational force is the attraction between two masses, while weight is the force with which a mass is pulled towards the center of the Earth. Weight also depends on the strength of the gravitational force, which can vary depending on the location and mass of the objects involved.