Center of mass of a disc with a hole

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the moment of inertia of a disc with a hole. The individual moments of inertia of the disc and the hole are equated and the parallel axis theorem is applied. However, the equation does not show the distance of the hole from the center and the conversation continues to discuss how to incorporate this into the equation. Various methods are proposed and the conversation concludes with the suggestion to find the moment of inertia of each piece separately and then add them together to get the total moment of inertia.
caspernorth
there is a similar case here :https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=296966

so I've tried it and what i did was to equate both individual moment of inertia about z axis (and later applied parallel axis theorm) with negative mass for hole. added both these and found out Ix = M/4 [(1/2)-(r^4/R^2)]

so I think this is wrong, why isn't terms that shows how much distant the hole is located present in the equation? how can we do it. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
caspernorth said:
so I've tried it and what i did was to equate both individual moment of inertia about z axis (and later applied parallel axis theorm) with negative mass for hole. added both these and found out Ix = M/4 [(1/2)-(r^4/R^2)]
Show exactly what you did to get that result.

You need to add the moment of inertia of the disk about the z-axis and the moment of inertia of the hole (negative mass) about the z-axis. To get the moment of inertia of the hole about the z-axis, you'll need the parallel axis theorem.
so I think this is wrong, why isn't terms that shows how much distant the hole is located present in the equation?
Using the parallel axis theorem incorporates the distance of the hole from the center.

Doc Al said:
Using the parallel axis theorem incorporates the distance of the hole from the center.

So Ix is symmetric but Iy isn't right?

In that case i did it entirely wrong, anyway i did it like this:
density = M/∏R^2
density = m/∏r^2

equating we get
m = (r/R)^2M

IzM = (MR^2)/2
Izm = (-mr^2)/2

substitute for -m
we get
Izm = -(Mr^4) / 2R^2

I'm stuck at this point (i guess it's parallel axes theorem now, isn't it?)

caspernorth said:
In that case i did it entirely wrong, anyway i did it like this:
density = M/∏R^2
density = m/∏r^2
OK, you are taking M as the mass of a solid disk of radius R.

equating we get
m = (r/R)^2M
OK.

IzM = (MR^2)/2
OK.
Izm = (-mr^2)/2
This is the moment of inertia about its center of mass. But since it's not centered on the z-axis, you need the parallel axis theorem to find Izm.

substitute for -m
we get
Izm = -(Mr^4) / 2R^2

I'm stuck at this point (i guess it's parallel axes theorem now, isn't it?)
Yes.

Ok since I can't give up I tried it once more:
By parallel axis theorem,

Iz = Icm + (M-m)y^2
(Icm = center of mass' moment of inertia, and M-m is the net mass, y is the distance between center of mass and radius of big circle)

Iz = IzM = (MR^2)/2

Center of mass turns out to be x = R+ {m.d/(M-m)} where d is distance between centers of each circle
y = R-x = {m.d/(M-m)}

So Icm = IzM - (M-m){m.d/(M-m)} ^2
Icm = (MR^2)/2 - (M-m){m.d/(M-m)} ^2
on simplifying we get,

Icm = (M/2) (Rmd)^2

please verify this, and give me the correct answer.

Last edited:
caspernorth said:
Ok since I can't give up I tried it once more:
By parallel axis theorem,

Iz = Icm + (M-m)y^2
(Icm = center of mass' moment of inertia, and M-m is the net mass, y is the distance between center of mass and radius of big circle)

Iz = IzM = (MR^2)/2

Center of mass turns out to be x = R+ {m.d/(M-m)} where d is distance between centers of each circle
y = R-x = {m.d/(M-m)}

So Icm = IzM - (M-m){m.d/(M-m)} ^2
Icm = (MR^2)/2 - (M-m){m.d/(M-m)} ^2
on simplifying we get,

Icm = (M/2) (Rmd)^2
I'm confused as to what you are doing.

You have a solid disk of mass M (I assume that's what you want to assume) with a hole in it. (M is the mass the disk would have if it had no hole, right?)

What's the moment of inertia of the solid disk about the z-axis?

What's the moment of inertia of hole about its center? Then use the parallel axis theorem to find its moment of inertia about the z-axis.

To find the composite moment of inertia, just add those two elements together.

Well, i will make it as clear as possible.

1. what i need to find out = moment of inertia of a disc with hole.
2. M, R are parameters of disc without hole
3. -m, r are parameters of hole

Now can you show me how this can be solved. I just might make another mistake by repeating what i have already posted.

caspernorth said:
Well, i will make it as clear as possible.

1. what i need to find out = moment of inertia of a disc with hole.
2. M, R are parameters of disc without hole
3. -m, r are parameters of hole
OK.

Now can you show me how this can be solved.
Answer the questions I asked in my last post. Do it step by step.

Doc Al said:
Answer the questions I asked in my last post. Do it step by step.

Let me do it another way.

I = 1/2 m r^2 + m b^2 , where b is the distance between the center of rotation and the center of mass of m.

If you cut this out of a disk of mass M and radius R, you are left with

I = 1/2 M R^2 - (1/2 m r^2 + m b^2)

what about this time

caspernorth said:
Let me do it another way.

I = 1/2 m r^2 + m b^2 , where b is the distance between the center of rotation and the center of mass of m.

If you cut this out of a disk of mass M and radius R, you are left with

I = 1/2 M R^2 - (1/2 m r^2 + m b^2)

what about this time
Good! :approve:

Ok, so isn't this MOI about z axis (perpendicular to the plane) I need inertia about the diameter axis. how can i do that?

caspernorth said:
Ok, so isn't this MOI about z axis (perpendicular to the plane) I need inertia about the diameter axis. how can i do that?
Which diameter axis exactly?

You'd approach it in a similar way. Find the moment of inertia of each piece about the chosen axis then add them up.

Doc Al said:
Which diameter axis exactly?

You'd approach it in a similar way. Find the moment of inertia of each piece about the chosen axis then add them up.
The diameter of both, since they line up. That is the line passing through their centers.
so is the answer
I = 1/4 M R^2 - (1/4 m r^2 + m b^2)

where the 2 became 4

caspernorth said:
The diameter of both, since they line up. That is the line passing through their centers.
so is the answer
I = 1/4 M R^2 - (1/4 m r^2 + m b^2)

where the 2 became 4
Almost. There's no need for the parallel axis theorem here, since the center of mass of the hole is already on the desired axis of rotation.

Doc Al said:
Almost. There's no need for the parallel axis theorem here, since the center of mass of the hole is already on the desired axis of rotation.

Thankyou sir, that was indeed helpful.

Related to Center of mass of a disc with a hole

1. What is the center of mass of a disc with a hole?

The center of mass of a disc with a hole is the point at which the disc can be balanced on a pivot without tipping in any direction. It is also the point where the disc's mass is evenly distributed in all directions.

2. How is the center of mass of a disc with a hole calculated?

The center of mass of a disc with a hole can be calculated using the formula: x = (m₁x₁ + m₂x₂ + ... + mₙxₙ) / (m₁ + m₂ + ... + mₙ), where x is the x-coordinate of the center of mass and m is the mass and x is the x-coordinate of each component of the disc.

3. Does the size of the hole in the disc affect its center of mass?

Yes, the size of the hole in the disc can affect its center of mass. If the hole is very small compared to the overall size of the disc, its impact on the center of mass will be minimal. However, if the hole is large, it can significantly shift the center of mass towards the hole.

4. How does the shape of the hole in the disc affect its center of mass?

The shape of the hole in the disc can also affect its center of mass. A hole that is closer to the edge of the disc will shift the center of mass towards that edge, while a hole that is closer to the center of the disc will shift the center of mass towards the center.

5. Can the center of mass of a disc with a hole be outside of the disc?

No, the center of mass of a disc with a hole will always be within the boundaries of the disc. This is because the center of mass is calculated based on the mass and positions of all components of the disc. If the center of mass were to fall outside of the disc, it would mean that the disc is not balanced and would tip over.