Centre of gravity of a 3D irregular object

In summary, using a sturdy frame and hanging the gearbox from a string would solve the 3rd co-ordinate problem.
Raghavendar Balaji

Homework Statement

A complex or irregular body with some mass, m. How to determine the 3 co-ordinates of centre of gravity?

Homework Equations

Moment method with ∑M = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Say I have a gearbox and I need to find the COG. I can mount the gearbox at two longitudinal ends and find one co-ordinate of COG through force acting in one end and entire weight of body acting at some distance in between, through moment method. I can then mount it upside down with the clutch part on the bottom and repeat the procedure. This way I can take the intersection of the two planes of probable COG and get a line at the intersection. But to find the 3rd co-ordinate is proving difficult. Is there any way to find the 3rd co-ordinate or any other totally different way to find all the 3 co-ordinates? Please help people. Thanks in advance!

P.S - I thought of mounting in another direction to get the third intersection too, but the mounting gets difficult. So for the gearbox or any other irregular body in general would be rather helpful. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Raghavendar Balaji said:
I thought of mounting in another direction to get the third intersection too, but the mounting gets difficult.
Well, that is an engineering issue. To measure it you'll need a third input in some way. Mounting it on a string (free to move in two dimensions) or balancing it on something (similar) would help as well.
You can also calculate it if you know the components well enough.

mfb said:
Well, that is an engineering issue. To measure it you'll need a third input in some way. Mounting it on a string (free to move in two dimensions) or balancing it on something (similar) would help as well.
You can also calculate it if you know the components well enough.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. In case of an engine or a gearbox, there are lots of components so it's totally complex but balancing can be tried but, do you have any other method or suggestion to solve this problem?

Can you hang the gearbox from a wire?

Exactly my point. It's highly risky but it can be tried though it might not be possible in all directions. So I'm out of ideas.

Hanging it from a string/wire and one additional measurement along a different axis would be sufficient.

You can also mount the whole device into a more sturdy frame (using any attachment points you like) if you know the mass and center of mass of this more sturdy frame. Ideally it has a small mass.

Likes Stephen Tashi and Raghavendar Balaji
mfb said:
Hanging it from a string/wire and one additional measurement along a different axis would be sufficient.

You can also mount the whole device into a more sturdy frame (using any attachment points you like) if you know the mass and center of mass of this more sturdy frame. Ideally it has a small mass.

Oh thank you! I think that might work! Thanks for the suggestion!

Related to Centre of gravity of a 3D irregular object

What is the definition of centre of gravity?

The centre of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act. It is the point where the object would balance if suspended at that point.

How is the centre of gravity of a 3D irregular object calculated?

The centre of gravity of a 3D irregular object is calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual points of mass within the object. This involves multiplying each point's mass by its distance from a reference point and dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the object.

Is the centre of gravity always located within the physical boundaries of an object?

No, the centre of gravity can be located outside of the physical boundaries of an object if the object's mass is unevenly distributed. This is often the case with irregularly shaped objects.

What is the significance of the centre of gravity in physics?

The centre of gravity is an important concept in physics because it affects an object's stability and its tendency to tip over or rotate. It also plays a role in determining an object's motion and how it responds to external forces.

Can the centre of gravity of an object change?

Yes, the centre of gravity of an object can change if the distribution of its mass changes. For example, the centre of gravity of a car will shift if people or cargo are added or removed from it.