Difference between centre of mass and centre of gravity

In summary, the center of mass is the point from which the mass of an object is equally distributed in all directions, while the center of gravity is the point at which a force can be applied to a body to cause translation without rotation. In uniform gravity fields, these two points overlap, but in non-uniform fields they may be different. Both concepts are important in understanding the motion of objects.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Now, I know the centre of gravity can change depending on how close to uniform the gravitational field is, and it is where the weight appears to act from.
But, what is the centre of mass? Ok, it is a constant; doesn't change; and in an uniform gravitational field the two centres overlap; but how do you define the centre of mass without referencing centre of gravity?
An online source said it is the point from which the mass is 'equally distributed in all directions' for an object; but I can have irregular shapes. What does that source means? Or is the centre of mass defined in another way?
I am really confused!
Thanks in advance for any help you could provide :)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
MBBphys said:

Homework Statement

Now, I know the centre of gravity can change depending on how close to uniform the gravitational field is, and it is where the weight appears to act from.
But, what is the centre of mass? Ok, it is a constant; doesn't change; and in an uniform gravitational field the two centres overlap; but how do you define the centre of mass without referencing centre of gravity?
An online source said it is the point from which the mass is 'equally distributed in all directions' for an object; but I can have irregular shapes. What does that source means? Or is the centre of mass defined in another way?
I am really confused!
Thanks in advance for any help you could provide :)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A
This is a better description of the center of mass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass

For the center of gravity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centers_of_gravity_in_non-uniform_fields

For objects in uniform gravity fields, the center of mass and the center of gravity are the same point. When the gravity field is no longer uniform, then things get more complicated.

Basically, it comes down to locating the point at which a force can be applied to a body which causes it to translate in the direction of the applied force without rotation.

Hi MBBphys:

I suggest you read the Wikipedia article. You can use your browser to search on:
center of mass !wiki​

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

SteamKing said:
This is a better description of the center of mass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass

For the center of gravity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centers_of_gravity_in_non-uniform_fields

For objects in uniform gravity fields, the center of mass and the center of gravity are the same point. When the gravity field is no longer uniform, then things get more complicated.

Basically, it comes down to locating the point at which a force can be applied to a body which causes it to translate in the direction of the applied force without rotation.
Thank you, I think I get it now!

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi MBBphys:

I suggest you read the Wikipedia article. You can use your browser to search on:
center of mass !wiki​

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
Thanks!

What is the difference between centre of mass and centre of gravity?

The centre of mass (COM) is the point at which the entire mass of an object is concentrated. It is the average position of all the individual masses in the object. On the other hand, the centre of gravity (COG) is the point at which the entire weight of an object is concentrated. It takes into account not just the mass, but also the gravitational force acting on it.

How are centre of mass and centre of gravity related?

The centre of gravity is always located at the centre of mass, but the centre of mass may not always coincide with the centre of gravity. The position of the centre of gravity depends on the distribution of mass and the strength of the gravitational force. If an object has a uniform mass distribution, the centre of mass and centre of gravity will coincide.

Which one is more important in determining the stability of an object?

The centre of gravity is more important in determining the stability of an object. An object is stable when its centre of gravity is directly above its base of support. This ensures that the object will not topple over under the influence of gravity. However, the centre of mass can also affect stability if the object has an irregular shape or is subject to external forces.

Can centre of mass and centre of gravity change?

Yes, the centre of mass and centre of gravity can change depending on the position and orientation of the object. For example, if an object is lifted off the ground, its centre of gravity will shift towards the point of support. Similarly, if an object is tilted, its centre of mass will shift in the direction of the tilt. Changes in mass distribution or external forces can also cause the centre of mass and centre of gravity to change.

How are centre of mass and centre of gravity used in practical applications?

The concepts of centre of mass and centre of gravity are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. They are important in designing stable structures, calculating moments of inertia, and analyzing the motion of objects. In sports, understanding the centre of mass and centre of gravity can help athletes improve their balance and performance. In space exploration, these concepts are crucial in determining the stability and control of spacecraft.