Centripetal force for off-centered cylinders rolling down a curve

In summary: I think that centripetal force is a fundamental force, as is the force of gravity.That would be somewhat heretical.
caesium
Homework Statement
Let's say we have a cylinder of radius r with non-uniform density, resulting in a center of mass shifted away from center of geometry. Let's assume that this center of mass mid-way between center and circumference. So, r_cm = r/2.

Now, let's say this cylinder is rolling down on a curved path of radius R + r. Assume no slip condition.

What is the centripetal force on this cylinder? Does it have "two centripetal forces", from which we find a resultant?
Relevant Equations
There are no equations here.
My initial attempt: Total Centripetal force on the cylinder would be given by $$\textbf{F}_{net} = mR\omega^2 \textbf{e}_1+mr_{cm}\omega^2 \textbf{e}_2$$ where the vectors e_1 and e_2 have magnitude 1 and point radially outwards (and continuously changing as the cylinder rolls down) as marked in the sketch below. Please advise. Thank you.

nmjg667dcd-jtls3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a strange problem. First of all, what is definition of a centripetal force acting on a rigid body ?

I assume you mean R>r.

Is there any guarantee that the cylinder will remain in contact with the surface?

As @wrobel asks, define centripetal force; but first define centripetal acceleration.

I think that there are only two forces acting on the cylinder: the reaction force from the incline and the gravity

wrobel said:
I think that there are only two forces acting on the cylinder: the reaction force from the incline and the gravity
Yes, but centripetal force does not have to be one or the other.

I was taught long ago that forces appear between interacting material bodies

wrobel said:
I was taught long ago that forces appear between interacting material bodies
And the sum of such forces is also a force. As is a component of the sum.

haruspex said:
And the sum of such forces is also a force
and to which point of the cylinder is this force applied? and why?

wrobel said:
and to which point of the cylinder is this force applied? and why?
As I wrote, given the velocity and the trajectory, it is better to start with the definition of centripetal acceleration. Multiplying that by the mass gives the centripetal force.

haruspex said:
As I wrote, given the velocity and the trajectory, it is better to start with the definition of centripetal acceleration. Multiplying that by the mass gives the centripetal force.
Let us have an inertial coordinate frame. For the cylinder I want to write the angular momentum equation about the origin of this frame. And how should I include the torque of the centripetal force into this equation? If it is force indeed, I must put its torque into the angular momentum equation

Last edited:
By definition, centripetal acceleration is that component of linear acceleration which is orthogonal to the velocity.
In principle, we can find the velocity and acceleration of the mass centre. But there is insufficient information here since we do not know the moment of inertia.

I think that notion "centripetal force" does not make sense for rigid bodies just for particles

wrobel said:
I think that notion "centripetal force" does not make sense for rigid bodies just for mass points
That would be somewhat heretical.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force related to off-centered cylinders rolling down a curve?

In the case of off-centered cylinders rolling down a curve, the centripetal force is the force that keeps the cylinder moving in a circular path, despite the fact that the center of mass is not at the center of the circle.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal force for off-centered cylinders?

The magnitude of centripetal force for off-centered cylinders is affected by the mass of the cylinder, the speed at which it is rolling, and the radius of the curve.

4. How does the direction of centripetal force change as the cylinder rolls down the curve?

The direction of centripetal force changes as the cylinder rolls down the curve because the direction of the velocity vector changes, causing the direction of the centripetal force to also change.

5. Can the centripetal force ever be greater than the weight of the cylinder?

Yes, the centripetal force can be greater than the weight of the cylinder if the speed of the cylinder is high enough or if the radius of the curve is small enough.