Centripetal forces and satellites

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the period and speed of a satellite in a circular orbit 300km above the Earth's surface. By using the equation Ac=(4(Pi^2)(r))/(T^2), the period is calculated to be 5451.6 seconds. By using V=(2(pi)r)/(T), the speed is calculated to be 7722 m/s. The concept of centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration is also mentioned in the conversation.
supmiller
Hi I am kind of new to the forum nice to be here! here is my question.

Homework Statement

A satellite is kept in a circular orbit 300km above the surface of the Earth by the force of gravity. At this altitude the acceleration due to gravity is 8.9 m/s. The radius of the Earth is 6.4*10^6m

a) calculate the period of the satellite

b) calculate the speed of the satellite

Homework Equations

Ac=(4(Pi^2)(r))/(T^2)

Where ac is the acceleration
T is the period
r is the radius

V=(2(pi)r)/(T)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Using the first equation listed

T= (2(pi))(r/ac)^(1/2)
r=(6.4*10^6)+(300km)(1000m/1km)
ac=8.9m/s

T=5451.6 seconds

b) Using our known T,
V=(2Pi)(6700000)/(5451.6)
V=7722 m/s

Thanks in advance, I feel I may not have the concept down well enough and this may not be the way to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right to me. Welcome to PF as a poster!

supmiller said:
Hi I am kind of new to the forum nice to be here! here is my question.

Homework Statement

A satellite is kept in a circular orbit 300km above the surface of the Earth by the force of gravity. At this altitude the acceleration due to gravity is 8.9 m/s. The radius of the Earth is 6.4*10^6m

a) calculate the period of the satellite

b) calculate the speed of the satellite

Homework Equations

Ac=(4(Pi^2)(r))/(T^2)

Where ac is the acceleration
T is the period
r is the radius

V=(2(pi)r)/(T)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Using the first equation listed

T= (2(pi))(r/ac)^(1/2)
r=(6.4*10^6)+(300km)(1000m/1km)
ac=8.9m/s

T=5451.6 seconds

b) Using our known T,
V=(2Pi)(6700000)/(5451.6)
V=7722 m/s

Thanks in advance, I feel I may not have the concept down well enough and this may not be the way to do it.

** r = radius
r = RE + h = (6.4*10^6m + 300,000m) = 6.7x10^6

**C = Circumference
C=2(PI)r

T=period
T=C/v

**for circular motion there are 2 components of acceleration, radial acceleration and tangential acceleration. the radial (centripetal acceleration) is shown:

Ar=(mv2)/r

**because gravity from the Earth is causing the satellite to undergo centripetal acceleration:

mg = (mv2)/r

**the masses of the satellite cancel to show the speed of the satellite:

(rg)1/2=v

v = 7722 m/s

** the period
T = 2(PI)r/v = 5448s

Based on what I got, I would say you did a good job!

Related to Centripetal forces and satellites

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that seems to push an object away from the center of rotation. In reality, centrifugal force is simply a result of the inertia of the object.

How does centripetal force keep a satellite in orbit?

Centripetal force is essential in keeping a satellite in orbit around a larger object, such as a planet or star. This force acts as the gravitational pull between the two objects, causing the satellite to constantly fall towards the larger object while maintaining its forward motion, resulting in a circular orbit.

How does the mass of a satellite affect its orbit?

The mass of a satellite does not affect its orbit directly. However, it does play a role in determining the amount of centripetal force needed to keep the satellite in orbit. The greater the mass of the satellite, the greater the centripetal force required to maintain its orbit.

What happens if the centripetal force acting on a satellite is too weak?

If the centripetal force acting on a satellite is too weak, the satellite will not be able to maintain its circular orbit and will eventually fall towards the larger object it is orbiting. This can result in the satellite crashing into the larger object or being flung out into space.

Can centripetal force be used for other applications besides satellites?

Yes, centripetal force is used in many other applications besides satellites. It is essential in the functioning of roller coasters, centrifuges, and even washing machines. It is also used in sports, such as in the curved trajectory of a baseball pitch or the circular motion of a figure skater.