Centripetal Motion problem -- A bead sliding around a horizontal loop

In summary: Mass is obviously irrelevant. If you write down the equations of motion, mass will...It will be in the equation of motion. It will be in the equation of motion.
Rubberduck2005
Homework Statement
A bead sliding around a horizontal loop of radius R with a friction co efficient of U has a speed V0 at t=0, First find V(t) then the angle by which the bead has rotated by time t
Relevant Equations
To be honest I am a bit clueless first with how to interrupt this question I think the bead is going around a wall type thing where there is friction both in the up and X direction. Some hint to get some ideas running would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Rubberduck2005 said:
Homework Statement:: A bead sliding around a horizontal loop of radius R with a friction co efficient of U has a speed V0 at t=0, First find V(t) then the angle by which the bead has rotated by time t
Relevant Equations:: .

To be honest I am a bit clueless first with how to interrupt this question I think the bead is going around a wall type thing where there is friction both in the up and X direction. Some hint to get some ideas running would be great
What is the net normal force of the wall+floor thing on the bead, given that the bead has velocity v?

I do hope an integral expression is accepted as the answer for the time.

jbriggs444 How would you determine net force using it's velcoity?

Rubberduck2005 said:
jbriggs444 How would you determine net force using it's velcoity?
If you know mass and acceleration, you can deduce net force. That's Newton's second law.

Given a velocity and a circular trajectory there is a well known formula for acceleration.

I think the easiest way to solve this problem is to employ Lagrangian dynamics. I'm not sure if the OP has reached that level of education but at any rate we consider a suspended horizontal loop with a bead sliding with a contact coefficient of friction ##\mu##, initial velocity ##v_0## and mass ##m## . If we assume the frictional force is proportional to velocity we can write the Lagrangian,
$$
\mathcal L=e^{\mu t}[T-V]
$$
where ##T = \frac{mv^2}{2}## is kinetic energy, ##V=0## is potential energy (the loop is horizontal, so no potential energy). The position of the bead and its velocity is written,
$$
\begin{align*}
& x=R\cos(\theta)
& \dot x=-R\dot \theta \sin(\theta)\\
& y=R\sin(\theta)
& \dot y=R\dot \theta \cos(\theta)\\
&v^2=\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2=R^2\dot {\theta}^2

\end{align*}
$$
Thus our Lagrangian is,
$$
\mathcal L =e^{\mu t}(\frac{mR^2\dot{\theta}^2}{2})
$$
and
$$
\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial{\mathcal L}}{\partial \dot \theta}=0
$$
I won't take it any further because I've been scolded for completely solving problems on this forum. However the OP can take the partial derivative of ##\mathcal L## w.r.t. ##\dot \theta## and then differentiate w.r.t. to time. Observe that ##\ddot \theta = \frac{d \dot \theta}{dt}## and remember ##v=R\dot \theta##. Integrating once will give an expression for ##\dot \theta## in terms of ##\dot \theta_0## and ##t## and integrating again will give ##\theta## in terms of ##t##, ##v_0##, ##R##, ##m##, and ##\mu##.

Fred Wright said:
If we assume the frictional force is proportional to velocity
Why would the frictional force be proportional to velocity?

jbriggs444 said:
Why would the frictional force be proportional to velocity?
It's a phenomenological assumption people make in these types of problems when employing Lagrangian dynamics. Whether or not it's a valid assumption can only be born out by experiment.

Fred Wright said:
It's a phenomenological assumption people make in these types of problems when employing Lagrangian dynamics. Whether or not it's a valid assumption can only be born out by experiment.
We already have a good model for kinetic friction specified in the problem statement. We are given a coefficient of kinetic friction. Going against that model is improper.
Rubberduck2005 said:
a friction co efficient of U

It is a fairly straightforward to produce a formula for the force of kinetic friction as a function of velocity. However, since OP is hung up and not yet able to produce that formula, I will not explicitly give the formula other than to state that it does not take the form: ##F=-kv##.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
We already have a good model for kinetic friction specified in the problem statement. We are given a coefficient of kinetic friction. Going against that model is improper.
Since we are given a coefficient of friction, I don't see how my argument is improper. Granted, the problem statement didn't say, "assume the frictional force is proportional to velocity" but also the problem statement didn't mention the mass. I don't see how to solve this problem without making some assumptions.

Fred Wright said:
Since we are given a coefficient of friction, I don't see how my argument is improper. Granted, the problem statement didn't say, "assume the frictional force is proportional to velocity" but also the problem statement didn't mention the mass. I don't see how to solve this problem without making some assumptions.
The problem statement indicates that the frictional force is most certainly not proportional to velocity.

Mass is obviously irrelevant. If you write down the equations of motion, mass will cancel.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
The problem statement indicates that the frictional force is most certainly not proportional to velocity.

Mass is obviously irrelevant. If you write down the equations of motion, mass will cancel.
I don't see where it says that but this certainly isn't worth a flame war. I'm probably wrong and I apologize for muddying the waters.

Likes jbriggs444
Fred Wright said:
I don't see where it says that but this certainly isn't worth a flame war. I'm probably wrong and I apologize for muddying the waters.
As I read the problem, what we would like to calculate is the radial+upward force between wire and bead. The tangential force that we really care about will be ##U## times this value. (I'd rather use the greek letter ##\mu##, but we can use ##U##)

In order to calculate the radial force, we can use the fact that the bead is traveling around a circular trajectory with radius ##R##. (I'd rather use lower case ##r##, but we can use ##R##)

Here is where the formula for centripetal acceleration will come in handy. We know ##v## and ##R##. So we can quickly find the resultant acceleration ##a##. It will not be directly proportional to ##v##. It will be directly proportional to ##v^2##.

Newton's second says that ##\sum F = ma##.

But we are not done yet. There is at least one more force acting on the bead that we have not yet quantified. Which is where I will leave it for OP.

Unfortunately, this is all the easy part. It gets harder when we have to solve the resulting differential equation. I've not tried that part yet.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes davyzhu

1. What is centripetal motion?

Centripetal motion is the motion of an object along a curved path, where the object is constantly accelerating towards the center of the curve.

2. How is centripetal force related to centripetal motion?

Centripetal force is the force that is responsible for keeping an object moving along a curved path. It acts towards the center of the curve and is necessary for maintaining the object's circular motion.

3. What is the centripetal force equation?

The centripetal force equation is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curved path.

4. How does the speed of an object affect centripetal force?

The speed of an object has a direct relationship with centripetal force. As the speed increases, the centripetal force also increases, meaning that a faster object requires a greater force to maintain its circular motion.

5. How does the angle of the curved path affect centripetal force?

The angle of the curved path does not affect centripetal force. As long as the object is moving along a curved path, the centripetal force will remain the same as long as the speed and radius of the path do not change.