How Do You Find Extragalactic Cepheid Variable Databases?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of redshift of Cepheid Variables in relation to distance and the search for astrophysics databases that include Cepheid Variables. The participants suggest looking at a specific website and clarify the need for extragalactic Cepheid data.
SoulOfSword_
Homework Statement
Cepheid Database
Relevant Equations
Cepheid Database
Hi Guys! I've been working on my EE in IB Physics and I'm looking at how redshift of Cepheid Variables changes based on distance. I've been looking for astrophysics databases that include cepheid variables for a while now, but I can't find any. Is there any you guys can suggest or know of? Any help is extremely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The link that @KDPhysics provided is just Cepheids in our galaxy, which I don't think is what you want. This link is a database of extragalactic Cepheids. You're going to need to choose galaxies that are far enough away that the Hubble expansion overwhelms the local motions.

1. What is a Cepheid Variable database?

A Cepheid Variable database is a collection of data on stars that exhibit periodic changes in brightness. Cepheid Variables are used as standard candles in astronomy to measure distances in the universe.

2. How can I access a Cepheid Variable database?

There are several online databases that provide access to Cepheid Variable data, such as the International Variable Star Index (VSX) and the General Catalogue of Variable Stars (GCVS). These databases can be accessed for free and have search functions to help users find specific information.

3. What kind of information can I find in a Cepheid Variable database?

A Cepheid Variable database typically includes data on the period, amplitude, and other properties of Cepheid Variables, as well as their coordinates, magnitudes, and classification. Some databases may also include historical observations and references to scientific papers.

4. How can a Cepheid Variable database help my research?

Cepheid Variables are important tools in astronomy, as they allow for the measurement of distances in the universe. By accessing a Cepheid Variable database, researchers can obtain accurate and up-to-date information on these stars, which can aid in their studies of the structure and evolution of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Cepheid Variable database?

While Cepheid Variable databases are valuable resources, they may not always contain complete or accurate information. It is important for researchers to carefully evaluate the data and consider any potential biases or uncertainties. Additionally, databases may only include data on a subset of known Cepheid Variables, so it is important to consult multiple sources for a comprehensive understanding.