Chain Rule in Difference Calculus

In summary: I guess.In summary, the chain rule does not generally work for difference quotients, but it can be applied if you use the forward difference operator.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I'm having some problems using the chain rule and I'm not sure where the trouble lies. For example:

If I'm not mistaken, if we have the composite function f(g(n)) then \(\displaystyle \Delta f(g(n)) = \dfrac{ \Delta f(g) }{ \Delta g } \dfrac{ \Delta g(n) }{ \Delta n }\)

Let \(\displaystyle f(g(n)) = (n^2)^2\). Then \(\displaystyle f(g) = g^2\) and \(\displaystyle g(n) = n^2\)

\(\displaystyle \Delta f(g(n)) = \dfrac{ \Delta g^2 }{ \Delta g } \dfrac{ \Delta n^2 }{ \Delta n }\)

Now, \(\displaystyle \Delta g^2 = (g + 1)^2 - g^2 = 2g + 1\). (And similarly for \(\displaystyle \Delta n^2\).)

So
\(\displaystyle \Delta f(g(n)) = (2g + 1)(2n + 1) = (2(n^2) + 1)(2n + 1) = 4 n^3 + 2 n^2 + 2 n + 1\)

But if we calculate \(\displaystyle \Delta n^4\) from the definition:
\(\displaystyle \Delta n^4 = (n + 1)^4 - n^4 = 4 n^3 + 6 n^2 + 4 n + 1\)

Where am I going wrong?

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Dan,

It seems to me that the chain rule will not generally work for difference quotients. As I see it you basically have a counterexample that proves it.
What is your rationale to think it does?

Instead the chain rule applies to the derivative, which is the difference quotient taken to the limit.
In this case the highest order term represents the derivative, and that one is a match.
Perhaps a variant of the chain rule applies to difference quotients?

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Hey Dan,

It seems to me that the chain rule will not generally work for difference quotients. As I see it you basically have a counterexample that proves it.
What is your rationale to think it does?

Instead the chain rule applies to the derivative, which is the difference quotient taken to the limit.
In this case the highest order term represents the derivative, and that one is a match.
Perhaps a variant of the chain rule applies to difference quotients?
Well, the fact it doesn't seem to work would be explained by the fact that it doesn't work!

I'm trying to find relationships between Difference Calculus and Differential Calculus. It seemed reasonable that there should be a chain rule. After all there's a version of both the product and quotient rules. I figured there might be extra terms involved but the derivation was nearly identical to the derivation of the "usual" chain rule:
\(\displaystyle \Delta f(g(n)) = \dfrac{ \Delta f(g(n)) }{ \Delta n } = \dfrac{f(g(n + 1)) - f(g(n))}{(n + 1) - n} = \dfrac{f(g(n + 1)) - f(g(n))}{g(n + 1) - g(n)} \dfrac{g(n + 1) - g(n)}{(n + 1) - n} = \dfrac{ \Delta f(g) }{ \Delta g } \dfrac{ \Delta g(n) }{ \Delta n }\)

Perhaps I'm too used to Differential Calculus but I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

So. Assuming my head isn't wrapped around this right, is there a way to take a difference operation of a composite function?

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I know what's wrong now. I had to go through three or four derivations of the chain rule to figure it out and, of course, it was staring me in the face.

The forward difference operator I've been using is defined as \(\displaystyle \Delta u(n) = u(n + 1) - u(n)\). But there is a slightly more general form: \(\displaystyle \Delta u(n) = u(n + h) - u(n)\) where h can be any real number (I suppose) though I've only seen it as an integer so far. This is where my problem was... If you look at my example you will see that I automatically set \(\displaystyle \Delta g = (g + 1) - g = 1\). But it isn't: \(\displaystyle g = n^2\), so \(\displaystyle \Delta g = 2n + 1\).

Here's how the derivation is supposed to work:
\(\displaystyle \Delta n^4 = \Delta (n^2)^2 = \Delta f(g(x))\). I will set \(\displaystyle f(g) = g^2\) and \(\displaystyle g(n) = n^2\).

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{ \Delta f(g(n)) }{ \Delta n } = \dfrac{ f(g(n + 1)) - f(g(n))}{g(n + 1) - g(n)} \dfrac{g(n + 1) - g(n)}{(n + 1) - n}\)

The last factor is \(\displaystyle (n + 1)^2 - n^2 = 2n + 1\). For the first factor, let \(\displaystyle \Delta g = g(n + 1) - g(n)\). Then
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{f(g(n + 1)) - f(g(n)}{g(n + 1) - g(n)} = \dfrac{f(g(n) + \Delta g) - f(g(n))}{\Delta g}\) <----- This is \(\displaystyle \dfrac{ \Delta f(g) }{ \Delta g }\)

\(\displaystyle = \dfrac{(g + \Delta g)^2 - g^2}{\Delta g} = \dfrac{2 g \Delta g + ( \Delta g) ^2}{ \Delta g } = 2g + \Delta g = 2(n^2) + (2n + 1)\)

So
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{ \Delta (n^2)^2 }{ \Delta n} = ( 2(n^2) + (2n + 1))(2n + 1) = 4n^3 + 2n^2 + 4n^2 + 2n + 2n + 1 = 4n^3 + 6n^2 + 4n + 1\)

as required.

It's a bit more difficult to use than the Differential version. And there are few functions you can actually use it for... Most functions don't have expressions for f(a + b), so I'm pretty much left with polynomials, exponentials, and factorials and I don't really need the chain rule for those. But the whole idea was to look at different Calculus rules for Difference Calculus.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Well, the fact it doesn't seem to work would be explained by the fact that it doesn't work!

I'm trying to find relationships between Difference Calculus and Differential Calculus. It seemed reasonable that there should be a chain rule. After all there's a version of both the product and quotient rules. I figured there might be extra terms involved but the derivation was nearly identical to the derivation of the "usual" chain rule:
\(\displaystyle \Delta f(g(n)) = \dfrac{ \Delta f(g(n)) }{ \Delta n } = \dfrac{f(g(n + 1)) - f(g(n))}{(n + 1) - n} = \dfrac{f(g(n + 1)) - f(g(n))}{g(n + 1) - g(n)} \dfrac{g(n + 1) - g(n)}{(n + 1) - n} = \dfrac{ \Delta f(g) }{ \Delta g } \dfrac{ \Delta g(n) }{ \Delta n }\)

Perhaps I'm too used to Differential Calculus but I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

So. Assuming my head isn't wrapped around this right, is there a way to take a difference operation of a composite function?

-Dan

In your equations you have $f(g(n+1))-f(g(n))=\Delta f(g)$, but isn't it $\Delta f(g)= f(g+1)-f(g) = f(g(n)+1)-f(g(n))$ instead?
I think we should have $f(g(n+1)-g(n))=\Delta (f\circ g)(n)$.

Last edited:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
In your equations you have $f(g(n+1))-f(g(n))=\Delta f(g)$, but isn't $\Delta f(g)= f(g+1)-f(g) = f(g(n)+1)-f(g(n))$ instead?
I think we should have $f(g(n+1)-g(n))=\Delta (f\circ g)(n)$.
That's the place where I was screwing up. The \(\displaystyle \dfrac{ \Delta f(g(n)) }{ \Delta n }\) does indeed use the difference \(\displaystyle \Delta n = 1\). But when we convert it to \(\displaystyle \dfrac{ \Delta f(g) }{ \Delta g }\) then the difference of 1 gets redefined to the difference \(\displaystyle \Delta g \neq 1\). This isn't an issue in Differential Calculus because when we take the limit as h goes to 0 \(\displaystyle \Delta x = \Delta g \to 0\).

-Dan

1. What is the chain rule in difference calculus?

The chain rule in difference calculus is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How is the chain rule applied in difference calculus?

The chain rule is applied in difference calculus by first identifying the inner and outer functions in a composite function. Then, the derivative of the outer function is found and multiplied by the derivative of the inner function, which is then substituted into the original function to find the overall derivative.

3. Why is the chain rule important in difference calculus?

The chain rule is important in difference calculus because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that are composed of multiple simpler functions. Without the chain rule, it would be much more difficult and time-consuming to find the derivative of these types of functions.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule in difference calculus?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule in difference calculus include forgetting to find the derivative of the outer function, not properly identifying the inner and outer functions, and making errors in the substitution step. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the chain rule to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can the chain rule be applied to functions with more than two functions?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to functions with more than two functions. It can be extended to functions with any number of nested functions by repeatedly applying the rule to each nested function. This is known as the generalized chain rule.