Chain rule question: if f is a differentiable function

In summary: First, differentiate sqrt(1 + [f(x)]^2) with respect to f(x), which gives 1/[sqrt(1 + [f(x)]^2)]. Then, differentiate f(x) with respect to x, which gives f'(x). Finally, multiply the two together to get the final derivative. In summary, to find the derivatives of the given functions, we need to use the quotient rule for the first one, the chain rule for the second one, and multiple applications of the chain rule for the third one.
Jaimie
If f is a differntiable function, find the expression for derivatives of the following functions.

a) g(x)= x/ f(x)
b) h(x) [f(x^3)]^2
c) k(x)= sqrt (1 + [f(x)]^2)

First off, I am not even sure what they are asking. I am assuming that they want the derivative for each component of the equation? then to find the derivative for the entire function?

a) really not sure about this one

b) g(x) = x^2 f(x)= x^3
g'(x)= 2x f'(x)= 3x^2
h'(x)= 2(x^3)(3x^2)
h'(x)= (2x^3)(3x^2)
h'(x)= 6x^5

c) g(x)= sqrt (x) h(x)= 1 + x^2
g'(x)= 1/2 x^-1/2 h'(x)= 2x
f'(x)= 1
k'(x)= 1/2 1 + (x^2)^-1/2(2x)
then continue to find equation.

The fact that f(x) is in the equation is throwing me off. Can you explain why you are approaching the problem this way. I am doing my best but we were given this yesterday to solve, but without understanding the question, I am a little at a loss. Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for the first one just think of it as any function. f(x) can be x^2, x^3, etc.

So use the quotient rule:
[tex]f'(x)=\frac{g'(x)h(x)-g(x)h'(x)}{(h(x))^{2}}[/tex]

For the second one I would use the chain rule ie bring the square down and the 3x^2 out of the inside of the function to obtain (6x^2)(f(x^3)) I think :-)

For the second one, to take into account f is a function of x^3, you should use the chain rule again to differentiate with respect to x^3.

For the third one, you have to apply the chain rule multiple times.

Related to Chain rule question: if f is a differentiable function

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, i.e. a function that is made up of other functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. When should I use the chain rule?

You should use the chain rule when you need to find the derivative of a function that is composed of other functions. This could be a function within a function, or a function composed of multiple functions. The chain rule is especially useful when dealing with exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.

3. How do I apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you need to identify the outer and inner functions within the composite function. Then, you can use the formula (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x) to find the derivative. Simply replace f'(g(x)) with the derivative of the outer function, and g'(x) with the derivative of the inner function.

4. Can you give an example of using the chain rule?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = (2x + 3)^2. We can rewrite this as f(x) = g(h(x)), where g(x) = x^2 and h(x) = 2x + 3. To find the derivative, we use the chain rule: f'(x) = g'(h(x)) * h'(x). In this case, g'(x) = 2x and h'(x) = 2, so f'(x) = 2(2x + 3) * 2 = 4(2x + 3) = 8x + 12.

5. What happens if I forget to apply the chain rule?

If you forget to apply the chain rule, you will not get the correct derivative of the composite function. This could lead to incorrect calculations and answers. It is important to always remember to use the chain rule when dealing with composite functions to ensure accurate results.