Express a function as a sum of even and odd functions

In summary, the first line of the summary is f(x)=g(x)+ h(x), which is the equation for the even and odd functions. The second line is f(x)=\left[\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{2x-x^2}+\dfrac{1}{-2x-x^2}\right]\right] which is the equation for the sum of the even and odd functions. The last line is h(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{x(2-x)}+\dfrac{1}{x(2+x)}\right] which
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached questions (highlighted in Red)
Relevant Equations
Even and odd number concept
I am refreshing on this; of course i may need your insight where necessary...I intend to attempt the highlighted...this is a relatively new area to me...

1666090334756.png

For part (a),

We shall let ##f(x)=\dfrac{1}{x(2-x)}##, let ##g(x)## be the even function and ##h(x)## be the odd function. It follows that,

##f(x)=g(x)+ h(x)##

##g(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{2x-x^2}+\dfrac{1}{-2x-x^2}\right]##
##g(x) = \dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{2x+x^2-2x+x^2}{(2x-x^2)(2x+x^2}\right]##
##g(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{2x^2}{(x^2(2-x)(2+x)}\right]##
##g(x)=\left[\dfrac{1}{(2-x)(2+x}\right]##

##h(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{x(2-x)}-\dfrac{1}{-x(2+x)}\right]##
##h(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{x(2-x)}+\dfrac{1}{x(2+x)}\right]##
##h(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1(2+x)+1(2-x)}{x(2-x)(2+x)}\right]##
##h(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{2+x+2-x)}{x(2-x)(2+x)}\right]##
##h(x)=\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{4}{x(2-x)(2+x)}\right]##
##h(x)=\left[\dfrac{2}{x(2-x)(2+x)}\right]##

therefore,

##\dfrac{1}{x(2-x)}=\dfrac{1}{(2-x)(2+x)}+\dfrac{2}{x(2-x)(2+x)} ##

Bingo! :cool: I will attempt the others later...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you even need to do all that simplification? Why not just let h and g be the first lines of what you wrote?

Office_Shredder said:
Do you even need to do all that simplification? Why not just let h and g be the first lines of what you wrote?
...you mean all under one denominator?

As these are all quotients, bear in mind that multiplying numerator and denominator by a factor chosen to make the denominator even can be more efficient than calculating [itex](f(x) \pm f(-x))/2[/itex]. So for (a), [tex]
\frac{1}{x(2-x)} = \frac{x(2+x)}{x^2(4-x^2)} = \frac{2}{x(4-x^2)} + \frac{1}{4-x^2}.[/tex] To complete the answer, note that in addition to the points where the left hand side is not defined, the right hand side is not defined at [itex]x = -2[/itex].

Likes chwala
pasmith said:
As these are all quotients, bear in mind that multiplying numerator and denominator by a factor chosen to make the denominator even can be more efficient than calculating [itex](f(x) \pm f(-x))/2[/itex]. So for (a), [tex]
\frac{1}{x(2-x)} = \frac{x(2+x)}{x^2(4-x^2)} = \frac{2}{x(4-x^2)} + \frac{1}{4-x^2}.[/tex] To complete the answer, note that in addition to the points where the left hand side is not defined, the right hand side is not defined at [itex]x = -2[/itex].
Thanks...let me check on this simplified approach...

chwala said:
...you mean all under one denominator?

i mean

##f(x)=\left(\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{2x-x^2}+\dfrac{1}{-2x-x^2}\right]\right) +\left(\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{x(2-x)}-\dfrac{1}{-x(2+x)}\right]\right)##

Likes chwala
Office_Shredder said:
i mean

##f(x)=\left(\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{2x-x^2}+\dfrac{1}{-2x-x^2}\right]\right) +\left(\dfrac{1}{2}\left[\dfrac{1}{x(2-x)}-\dfrac{1}{-x(2+x)}\right]\right)##
Thanks @Office_Shredder :biggrin:.

Actually, I can now see your point of having all in one line...pretty easy stuff...point is to just just deal with some algebra...I have the solutions, so I guess no need of continuing with the thread. Cheers guys!

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of expressing a function as a sum of even and odd functions?

Expressing a function as a sum of even and odd functions allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand. It also helps in solving certain types of differential equations and in proving mathematical identities.

2. How do you determine if a function is even or odd?

A function is even if it satisfies the condition f(x) = f(-x), meaning that the function remains unchanged when its input is replaced by its negative value. A function is odd if it satisfies the condition f(x) = -f(-x), meaning that the function's output changes sign when its input is replaced by its negative value.

3. Can a function be both even and odd?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd. An even function has symmetry about the y-axis, while an odd function has symmetry about the origin. These two types of symmetry cannot coexist in the same function.

4. How do you express a function as a sum of even and odd functions?

To express a function as a sum of even and odd functions, we can use the properties of even and odd functions. For example, if f(x) is an even function and g(x) is an odd function, then f(x) + g(x) will be the sum of an even and odd function. We can also use trigonometric identities to express a function as a sum of sine and cosine functions, which are odd and even, respectively.

5. What are the benefits of expressing a function as a sum of even and odd functions?

Expressing a function as a sum of even and odd functions can help in simplifying calculations and understanding the behavior of the function. It also allows us to use the properties of even and odd functions to solve problems and prove mathematical theorems. Additionally, it can help in visualizing the function and its symmetries, which can provide insights into its properties.