Chain Rule W/ Composite Functions

In summary, the second derivative of f(x3) is equal to 6x*g(x3) + 3x2*f(x6)*6x2, which simplifies to 9x4*f(x6) + 6x*g(x3) as the correct answer, option D. The mistake in the original attempt was applying the chain rule to the incorrect term.
Michele Nunes

Homework Statement

If d/dx(f(x)) = g(x) and d/dx(g(x)) = f(x2), then d2/dx2(f(x3)) =
a) f(x6)
b) g(x3)
c) 3x2*g(x3)
d) 9x4*f(x6) + 6x*g(x3)
e) f(x6) + g(x3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is D. Since d/dx(f(x)) = g(x), I said that d/dx(f(x3)) should equal 3x2*g(x3), then I took the derivative again and first used product rule so 6x*g(x3) + 3x2*f(x6)*6x5 since you would need to do chain rule again but that doesn't match up with the answer. I've been trying to play around with it for a while and it's just not coming out as the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michele Nunes said:

Homework Statement

If d/dx(f(x)) = g(x) and d/dx(g(x)) = f(x2), then d2/dx2(f(x3)) =
a) f(x6)
b) g(x3)
c) 3x2*g(x3)
d) 9x4*f(x6) + 6x*g(x3)
e) f(x6) + g(x3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is D. Since d/dx(f(x)) = g(x), I said that d/dx(f(x3)) should equal 3x2*g(x3), then I took the derivative again and first used product rule so 6x*g(x3) + 3x2*f(x6)*6x5 since you would need to do chain rule again but that doesn't match up with the answer. I've been trying to play around with it for a while and it's just not coming out as the answer.
Redo the second derivative. The term 3x2*f(x6)*6x5 looks wrong.
By the product rule: ##\frac{d}{dx} 3x²g(x³)= 6xg(x³) + 3x² \frac{d}{dx} g(x³)##

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
Redo the second derivative. The term 3x2*f(x6)*6x5 looks wrong.
Here's how I did the second derivative:
I'm taking the derivative of (3x2)*(g(x3)), and I'm going to let (3x2) = u and (g(x3)) = v
so the second derivative should look like: d2/dx2(f(x3)) = u'v + uv'
My first term came out nice: u'v = 6x*g(x3)
Now for my second term, I said that v' = f(x6)*6x5 since d/dx(g(x)) = f(x2) so I assumed that d/dx(g(x3)) would equal f((x2)3) or similarly, f(x6) and then I used chain rule for f(x6) which is why I added the 6x5 at the end

Michele Nunes said:
Now for my second term, I said that v' = f(x6)*6x5 since d/dx(g(x)) = f(x2) so I assumed that d/dx(g(x3)) would equal f((x2)3) or similarly, f(x6) and then I used chain rule for f(x6) which is why I added the 6x5 at the end
##\frac{d}{dx}g(x³) \neq g'(x³)##.
You are making this too complicated. Try to apply the chain rule when computing ##3x² \frac{d}{dx} g(x³)##.

Likes Michele Nunes
Samy_A said:
##\frac{d}{dx}g(x³) \neq g'(x³)##.
You are making this too complicated. Try to apply the chain rule when computing ##3x² \frac{d}{dx} g(x³)##.
Ohhh I see now. I did chain rule on the wrong term. That's why it was coming out funky. Thank you!

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that when we have a function within another function, the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function will give us the derivative of the composite function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivatives of more complex functions. Many real-world problems involve composite functions, and the chain rule helps us to solve these problems accurately.

3. How do you use the chain rule?

To use the chain rule, we first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, we take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. It is important to use the chain rule when taking the derivative of each individual function and then multiplying them together.

4. Can you give an example of using the chain rule?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (2x+1)^3. The outer function is ( )^3 and the inner function is 2x+1. We can use the chain rule to find the derivative of this function by first taking the derivative of the outer function, which is 3(2x+1)^2. Then, we multiply this by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2. This gives us a final derivative of 6(2x+1)^2.

5. When should the chain rule be used?

The chain rule should be used whenever we have a composite function. This means that there is an inner function within an outer function. It is important to use the chain rule in these situations to accurately find the derivative of the composite function.