Chain with 2 links lifted vertically - Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a chain with two links being lifted vertically with an acceleration of 3.0 m/s2. The question is about the magnitude of the downward force exerted on the top link by the bottom link. The conversation includes a solution attempt using the equations F = ma and Fnet = Fpull - Fg - F1,2. After some discussion, it is concluded that the correct answer is 6.4N, which can be calculated by drawing a free body diagram of the bottom link and using Newton's second law.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A chain consisting of two links, each of mass 0.5 kg, is lifted vertically with an acceleration of 3.0 m/s2 upward.

The magnitude of the downward force exerted on the top link by the bottom link is?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1 is the top link
2 is the bottom link
F1,2 = The force on 1 by 2

The Fnet on either of the two links is (0.5kg)(3m/s2) = 1.5N

so

Fnet = Fpull - Fg - F1,2

Fpull = 1kg(3m/s2) = 3N

so

1.5N = 3N - (.5kg)(9.8m/s2) - F1,2

F1,2 = 3.4 N downward

The answer is 6.4N but i don't understand why? where did i go wrong?

this is exactly what i did on a homework assignment and got it right but this is what i did on the test and i got it wrong since the answer is 6.4N not 3.4N like i got.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't calculate F_pull correctly. Where's the weight force? You might want to check your new result by drawing a FBD of the bottom link.

I don't see how F_pull is wrong?

The only other thing i can think of doing to calculate this is to factor in the the acceleration of gravity?

and by weight force do you mean Fg cause i have that in there...

What i am really confused about is i used this same method on a mastering physics problem and got all of the answers right so i guess i got lucky on that. I really need to figure out how to do this right because I am sure something similar to it is going to be on my final.

You have got to draw free body diagrams to solve these problems. You noted that
Fpull = 1kg(3m/s2) = 3N
But F-pull is the pulling force which must be greater than the weight of the links in order to accelerate them upward at 3m/s/s. Since the links weigh about 9.8 N, the pull force can't be just 3 N.
Again, you can also calculate F_1,2 directy by drawing a FBD of the botton link alone.

oh that makes sense.

ok so using my fbd of the botton link i have the force pulling it up which i believe is (3+9.8)(1) = 12.8 N in the upward direction

there is also the F_2,1 force in the upward direction (this is equal to F_1,2)

then there is the force of gravity of link 2 going downwards.

Does that seem right?

No. If you draw a FBD of the bottom link, there are only two forces acting on it, its weight down, and the F-2,1 force acting up. Use Newton 2 to solve for F_2,1. Don't put in forces that don't exist when you draw your free body diagram.

Oh jeez i feel stupid. That was a lot easier then i was making it.

so sum of the forces in the y = ma

Fy = 0.5kg(9.8+3)

Fy = 6.4 N

Thank you Jay

1. What is the purpose of lifting a chain with 2 links vertically?

The purpose of lifting a chain with 2 links vertically is to measure the force required to lift the chain. This can help determine the strength and weight-bearing capacity of the chain.

2. How is the force calculated for lifting a chain with 2 links vertically?

The force required to lift a chain with 2 links vertically can be calculated using the equation F = mg, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the chain in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What factors can affect the force needed to lift a chain with 2 links vertically?

The force needed to lift a chain with 2 links vertically can be affected by various factors such as the weight and length of the chain, the material it is made of, and the strength of the person lifting it.

4. Why is it important to lift the chain vertically when measuring force?

Lifting the chain vertically ensures that the force being measured is only the force needed to lift the chain, and not the force required to move it horizontally or at an angle. This helps in obtaining accurate and reliable results.

5. What are some applications of measuring force while lifting a chain with 2 links vertically?

Measuring force while lifting a chain with 2 links vertically can have various applications in engineering and construction industries. It can be used to determine the weight-bearing capacity of a chain, to test the strength of different materials, and to evaluate the performance of lifting equipment.