Calculating force between links in a chain

In summary, a chain with five links, each weighing 0.145 kg, is being lifted vertically with a constant acceleration of 2.6 m/s^2. We need to find the force exerted by link 3 on link 2, and using the equation F=ma, we can solve for it. However, adding the downward force of gravity did not work, so we need to consider other factors.
JLPG
A chain consisting of five links, each of mass 0.145 kg, is lifted vertically with a constant acceleration of a = 2.6 m/s2.
Consider the force link 3 exerts on link 2. (Chains are numbered 5 to 1 going down)

Find the magnitude of this force.

F=ma

I don't know what to consider to find the answer. I tried doing a free body diagram, but I don't know what forces to add on it.
I tried F=ma --> a=2.6 m/s^2 and m=.145 kg
That didn't work, so I tried adding the downward force F=ma --> a=9.8 m/s^2 and m= .145 kg and that didn't work either.
How do I proceed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I found the answer

What is the formula for calculating the force between links in a chain?

The formula for calculating the force between links in a chain is F = (m1 + m2)g, where F is the force in Newtons, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two links in the chain, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

What factors affect the force between links in a chain?

The force between links in a chain is affected by the masses of the links, the length of the chain, and the angle at which the chain is hanging.

How do you determine the mass of each link in a chain?

The mass of each link in a chain can be determined by weighing the entire chain and then dividing the weight by the number of links.

What happens to the force between links in a chain if the chain is hanging at an angle?

If the chain is hanging at an angle, the force between links will decrease because the weight of the chain is distributed across a larger surface area. This can be calculated using the formula F = (m1 + m2)g sinθ, where θ is the angle at which the chain is hanging.

Can the force between links in a chain ever be greater than the weight of the chain?

No, the force between links in a chain can never be greater than the weight of the chain. This is because the weight of the chain is the maximum force that can be exerted on the links.