Challenge Connecting Multiple Smartphone Mic's Simply & Quickly

In summary, the challenge is to connect multiple smartphones mic's in the quickest and simplest way. There are a few possible solutions, but the most straightforward would be to use Skype.
Dutch Nomad
Dear Readers,

I'm facing a pretty interesting challenge, which is: "How to connect multiple smartphone mic's in the quickest and simplest way?"

Here is a use case. I go into a meeting with a group of random (strangers) that all have smartphones, Android, iOS, Windows. Now I want to record this meeting and in doing so I would like to leverage the mic's of all the phones in the room. How can I get the strangers phones to connect with my system, or maybe the cloud, to capture all the recordings in one platform. The main difficulty being that the other people in the meeting do not want to spend time installing an app of any kind. Basically I want them to notice the least possible of the whole operation. They should have to do little to nothing.

My ideas:
- Using the android beam technology by holding phones against each other (only works on Nexus though)
- Using some sort of bluetooth system.
- Maybe I have a unique URL that I can type into a webserver on each phone.

If you have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions on this challenge, feel free to comment!Peter

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you set up a conference call with all the included phones? They probably would all have to have their volumes turned down so they don't cause feedback with each other.

yeah using Skype in conference mode

not sure if/ how it could be recorded tho

skeptic2 said:
Can you set up a conference call with all the included phones? They probably would all have to have their volumes turned down so they don't cause feedback with each other.
Hey,

Thanks for the answer. It's not the ideal solution because the people would need to hold their phones on their ear all the time and like Davenn mentions, I'm not recording this.

Here is another thought: One person initiates the conversation and has a number that the other guys can send a text message to. Now there needs to be a way to connect these people with the first person by using the received text messages to connect everyone and turn on their mic's!

davenn said:
yeah using Skype in conference mode

not sure if/ how it could be recorded tho

Thanks for replying!
It would indeed be something similar to Skype but then with recording. I'm still thinking how it could be easier than having to use Skype though. Maybe using NFC (near field communication) or something alike. It should basically be the simplest way to connect phones ever. Bluetooth is not bad, but it's not the most reliable either :s

I Googled WiFi video conferencing and found a lot of hits. You could operate without the vision and the data rate would be significantly lower.
Earphones would remove the problem of howlround.

1. What is the purpose of connecting multiple smartphone mic's?

The purpose of connecting multiple smartphone mic's is to improve the audio quality during video or audio recordings, especially in group settings.

2. How many smartphone mic's can be connected at once?

The number of smartphone mic's that can be connected at once depends on the specific software or app being used. However, most apps allow for at least 2-4 mic's to be connected simultaneously.

3. Is it difficult to connect multiple smartphone mic's?

It can be difficult to connect multiple smartphone mic's if you are not familiar with the process. However, there are many tutorials and guides available online that can make the process easier.

4. What are the benefits of using multiple smartphone mic's?

Using multiple smartphone mic's can improve the overall audio quality of recordings by providing clearer and more balanced sound. It also allows for better sound capture in larger or noisier environments.

5. Are there any drawbacks to connecting multiple smartphone mic's?

One potential drawback is the cost of purchasing multiple mic's and any necessary adapters or software. Additionally, it may require more setup time and coordination between the mic's and the recording device.