Challenge question to the community - - Determine the inverse function of

In summary, the function f(x) = \dfrac{1 - \sqrt{x}}{1 + \sqrt{x}} has an inverse of f^{-1}(x) = \frac{(1-x)^{2}}{(1+x)^{2}} with a domain of (-1,1] and a range of [0,\infty). The inverse function is one-to-one and the derivative must be considered to determine branch cuts for the function.
checkitagain
[itex] f(x) \ = \ \dfrac{1 - \sqrt{x}}{1 + \sqrt{x}}[/itex][itex]Edit: \ \ I \ sent \ a \ PM \ to \ a \ mentor.[/itex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
[STRIKE]Can you PM the solution to one of the mentors please?? This way we can verify that it's a challenge question and not a disguised homework problem.[/STRIKE]

OK, this is verified.

Last edited:
Finding √x is trivial. Just square it afterward.

Thanks for posting this. The inverse of f(x) is:

[tex]

f^{-1}(x) = \frac{(1-x)^{2}}{(1+x)^{2}}

[/tex]

and x>=0 to prevent singularities

If you'd like to see my work, then just ask. It's easy to show that f(f^1(x)) = x.

Edit:

But I forgot to check whether f^-1 satisfied the requirements of inverse, I'll repost later, as I made a mistake :(

Last edited:
mathman said:
Finding √x is trivial.
[tex]\text{I don't know what you mean by/from particulars that you didn't type.}[/tex]

Just square it afterward.
[tex] \text{And what about any possible restrictions on a domain?}[/tex]

DivisionByZro said:
Thanks for posting this. I didn't see the challenge here though, it's really elementary algebra. The inverse of f(x) is:

[tex]

[/tex]

If you'd like to see my work, then just ask. It's easy to show that f(f^1(x)) = x.

Hint: What you have typed is not a one-to-one function.

checkitagain said:
Hint: What you have typed is not a one-to-one function.

If I restrict x>=0, then my inverse is correct (I think...for now..). So I would say for x>=0, f^-1 is

[tex]

[/tex]

Last edited:
DivisionByZro said:
What you posted was not one-to-one either.
If I restrict x>=0, then my inverse is correct. So I would say for x>=0, f^-1 is

[tex]

[/tex]

Mine (meaning the original function) is one-to-one.

Recommendation:

Graph/sketch my function and see.

checkitagain said:
Mine (meaning the original function) is one-to-one.

Recommendation:

Graph/sketch my function and see.

Yeah I had made a slight typo, I looked at the graph of a completely different function. My answer stands,

[tex]

[/tex]

on x>=0 only.

DivisionByZro said:
Yeah I had made a slight typo, I looked at the graph of a completely different function. My answer stands,

[tex]

[/tex]

on x>=0 only.

No to your restriction.

Hint: The range of f is the domain of f inverse, numerically speaking
(as when given in interval notation).

I must go away from the computer for a couple of hours starting now,
but I will check back for any updates.

--------------------------------------------------------

[itex]Edit: \ \ What \ is \ the \ range \ of \ f(x) \ ?[/itex]

[itex]2nd \ edit: \ \ \ I \ \ am \ \ agreeing \ \ with \ \ Curious3141, [/itex]

[itex]but \ \ I \ \ am \ \ stating \ \ it \ \ in \ \ this \ \ edit \ \ so \ \ [/itex]

[itex]that \ \ Curious3141's \ \ post \ \ will \ \ show \ \ the [/itex]

[itex] answer \ \ more \ \ recently \ \ than \ \ my \ \ own \ \ recent \ \ post.[/itex]

Last edited:
The inverse is:

[tex]

[/tex]

with a domain of (-1,1] and a range of [0,∞).

Just for future reference for checkitagain and other interested readers, you can use identities for derivatives of inverse functions and generate a taylor series that corresponds to the inverse function.

The key thing to be aware of is if the derivative (of the original function) is zero which indicates a branch cut in the function which means that you have to treat each branch as an individual function in its own right (if it is to have an inverse)

Related to Challenge question to the community - - Determine the inverse function of

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that reverses the effect of another function. In other words, if you apply a function to a number and then apply its inverse to the result, you will get back the original number.

2. How do you find the inverse function of a given function?

To find the inverse function, you can use the process of algebraic manipulation. Start by switching the positions of the input variable (usually x) and the output variable (usually y). Then, solve for y in terms of x. The resulting equation will be the inverse function.

3. Are all functions invertible?

No, not all functions have an inverse. For a function to be invertible, it must pass the horizontal line test, meaning that every horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at most once. If a function fails this test, it does not have an inverse.

4. Can a function have more than one inverse?

No, a function can only have one unique inverse. If a function has more than one inverse, it is not considered a function.

5. How can inverse functions be useful in real-life situations?

Inverse functions are commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to model and solve problems. They can also be applied in areas such as finance, computer science, and statistics. For example, inverse functions are used in financial models to calculate compound interest rates, and in computer science to encrypt and decrypt data.