Challenging Problem Equations of Motion for Spherical Magnetics Pendulum

In summary, to write the equations of motion for a spherical magnetic pendulum, you will need to consider all the forces acting on the pendulum, including gravity, tension in the rope, and repelling forces from a magnetic field. Making some assumptions, you can use Newton's second law to write equations for the x, y, and z components of the forces, and then add the repelling forces to these equations. With some realistic values, you should be able to solve the problem successfully.
tymbark

Homework Statement

I struggle to write equations of motion for spherical magnetic pendulum.
The forces acting on the pendulum are: gravity, tension in the rope, and 4 repelling forces
Here is the picture for the problem: first attachment
(I didn’t add forces to not mess it up)
There are no data given. I have to assume some realistic values.​

Homework Equations

second attachment have used those equation of motion presented on this site to do the project in 2D but I didn’t really helped me in the 3D case.
Then I have found this pdf
-the problem is almost done using Lagrange mechanics but I don’t know how to add repealing forces to the equations.​

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it in 2D case(attached picture). I don’t know how to add equations of motion to the equations given in the pdf from the attachments. However of course it does not need to be done using Lagrange mechanics.​

please help

Attachments

• pendulum.jpg
    pendulum.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 447
  • Deriving the Eqns of Motion_second approach 3D.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 14,963
  • my attempt in 2D.jpg
    my attempt in 2D.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
me

Thank you for reaching out for help with writing equations of motion for a spherical magnetic pendulum. This is a complex problem that requires careful consideration of all the forces acting on the pendulum, as well as any assumptions made about the system.

First, let's discuss the forces acting on the pendulum. As you mentioned, there are three main forces: gravity, tension in the rope, and repelling forces. The gravity force can be calculated using the equation Fg = mg, where m is the mass of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The tension in the rope can be calculated using the equation Ft = Tsinθ, where T is the tension in the rope and θ is the angle between the rope and the vertical.

Now, let's talk about the repelling forces. Without knowing the specific details of the system, it is difficult to provide specific equations for these forces. However, we can make some assumptions to help us write the equations of motion. For example, we can assume that the repelling forces are proportional to the distance between the pendulum and the magnetic field, and are directed away from the magnetic field. We can also assume that the strength of the repelling forces is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field and the charge of the pendulum.

With these assumptions in mind, we can write the equations of motion for the system. Using Newton's second law, we can write the equations for the x, y, and z components of the forces acting on the pendulum. The equations will look something like this:

∑F = max = m(d^2x/dt^2)
∑F = may = m(d^2y/dt^2)
∑F = maz = m(d^2z/dt^2)

where ∑F is the sum of all the forces acting on the pendulum, m is the mass of the pendulum, and x, y, and z are the position coordinates of the pendulum.

To add the repelling forces to these equations, we can simply add them to the ∑F term. For example, if we have a repelling force Fmag acting in the x direction, we can add it to the equation for ax, like this:

∑F = Fg + Ft + Fmag = max = m(d^2x/dt^2)

Similarly, we can add the repelling forces

1. What is a spherical magnetic pendulum?

A spherical magnetic pendulum is a physical system consisting of a spherical pendulum bob that contains a small magnet and is suspended from a fixed point by a thread. The bob interacts with a magnetic field, causing it to move in a circular motion.

2. What is a challenging problem equation of motion for a spherical magnetic pendulum?

The challenging problem equation of motion for a spherical magnetic pendulum refers to the mathematical equation that describes the motion of the pendulum. This equation takes into account factors such as the mass of the bob, the length of the thread, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle of the bob's initial displacement.

3. What makes the equations of motion for a spherical magnetic pendulum challenging?

The equations of motion for a spherical magnetic pendulum are challenging because they involve multiple variables and complex mathematical relationships. The motion of the pendulum is affected by both gravity and the magnetic field, making it a nonlinear system that is difficult to solve analytically.

4. How can the equations of motion for a spherical magnetic pendulum be solved?

The equations of motion for a spherical magnetic pendulum can be solved using numerical methods such as the Runge-Kutta method or the Euler method. These methods involve breaking down the complex equation into smaller, simpler steps that can be solved using a computer.

5. What are some real-world applications of the spherical magnetic pendulum?

The spherical magnetic pendulum has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and magnetism. It can be used to demonstrate the principles of magnetism and oscillatory motion, and it has been used in the design of magnetic bearings and gyroscopes.