Chances of admission into MIT, Harvard and Penn

In summary, the individual has completed two years of a BSc in physics at Imperial College London with high grades, took a break due to financial difficulties, and is currently in their final year expecting to graduate with a first class honours degree. They are interested in pursuing a postgraduate physics course at top universities such as Harvard, MIT, Yale, and others. It is recommended to research funding opportunities in Canada and consider pursuing an MSc before a PhD, as well as reaching out to professors for advice on applying to grad school in the US.
hasan_researc
Hi, here are my credentials.

2008-2010: First two years of BSc physics at Imperial College London - 89% in my first year and 69% in the second year.

2010-2012: took gap years due to financial difficulty

2012-2013: Final year of BSc Physics at Imperial College London - expected to obtain 80% in the third year. Expected to graduate with first class honours degree.

What are my chances of getting into Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Caltech, Penn, UC Berkeley, Michigan, Columbia, New York University, CUNY, British Columbia, Toronto, McGill for postgraduate physics course? Will I get 100% scholarship from any of the universities? Should I aim lower?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows.

There's funding for MSc degrees in Canada. Look into the Perimeter Institute as well. If you go down the BSc + MSc route before a PhD, you could then apply for PhDs in Europe. (i.e, Germany, Switzerland, France, etc)

I think Cologne has an astro program that offers funding at the MSc level as well.

For the US, go over at physicsgre.com and take a look at the profiles of applicants there. I remember a guy from Imperial who applied to a few schools and got into GeorgiaTech. The only school he got into, and he had a first class degree as well. I suggest you talk to your professors about grad school in the USA to find out more on the subject; surely, some of them have written recommendation letters for previous students. Search through Imperial's physics departments for profs who did their PhDs there, and talk to them. They'll know better.

1. What are the average acceptance rates for MIT, Harvard and Penn?

According to recent data, the average acceptance rates for MIT, Harvard and Penn are approximately 7%, 5%, and 8% respectively. However, these rates can vary from year to year and are highly competitive.

2. What factors are considered in the admissions process for these universities?

The admissions process for these universities is holistic, meaning that they take into account various factors such as academic performance, extracurricular activities, essays, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores. They also consider the applicant's personal background and experiences.

3. Are there any specific requirements or prerequisites for admission into these universities?

Each university has its own set of requirements, but in general, they look for applicants who have taken a challenging and rigorous course load in high school, have high standardized test scores, and have demonstrated a strong passion for their chosen field of study. It is also important to have a well-rounded profile with involvement in extracurricular activities and community service.

4. Can applying for early decision increase my chances of admission?

Applying for early decision can slightly increase your chances of admission, as it shows a strong commitment to the university. However, keep in mind that the applicant pool for early decision is often more competitive and the decision is binding, meaning that you must attend the university if accepted.

5. How important is the essay in the admissions process for these universities?

The essay is a crucial component of the admissions process for these universities. It allows the admissions committee to get a better understanding of the applicant's personality, interests, and writing skills. It is important to spend time crafting a well-written and unique essay that showcases your strengths and passions.