Chances of False Positive on PCR test (Covid 19)

That's what I was trying to get across.So let's turn it around. Out of 100 people, 10 have Covid and 90 don't. If you test positive, there are 91 people who have a positive test, but only 10 of them really have Covid. So the probability you have Covid is 10/91, or 11%. In summary, In this conversation, the speaker discusses a concerning incident where they had contact with someone who tested positive for Covid. They also mention taking a test and receiving a positive result, followed by a negative result the next day. They then ask for the probability of a false positive on a PCR test. The expert explains that this question is underspecified and provides an example
TL;DR Summary
what are the chances of a false positive
I recently had an incident in which a person visited my office and a few days later informed me he had tested positive for Covid. He had been healthy but took the test as required for any passenger boarding an airline. He later went for another test (the next day in fact) and that was negative. All the same I decided I should get myself tested and tested positive. Being similarly asymptomatic I also decided to go for a second test and once again it came back negative.

This is extremely concerning because it begs the question which of the two tests is one to believe. I remain completely healthy so presume the second result was correct but could I perhaps be an asymptomatic Covid carrier ?

In principle what is the probability of a false positive on a PCR test ?

Biology news on Phys.org
This is why you never take an even number of tests. :wink:

Your question is actually underspecified, even if answered. Here's why: suppose the test is 90% accurate (in both directions, for simplicity). Now suppose 10% of the population actually has Covid. If you test positive, what's the probability you have Covid? Not 90%. It's about 50-50.

Likes BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:

Your question is actually underspecified, even if answered. Here's why: suppose the test is 90% accurate (in both directions, for simplicity). Now suppose 10% of the population actually has Covid. If you test positive, what's the probability you have Covid? Not 90%. It's about 50-50.
Ive tried working this and can't get to 50%. what did you do?

Start with the probability of having Covid = 10%?

Then 90% probability of something to give you 40% - the something is 44 to add to the 10?

How did you get 44?

what am I missing? @Vanadium 50

Last edited:
In a PCR test, the viral fragments undergo successive cycles of multiplication until there are enough fragments to reach some detection threshold (roughly speaking). So the fewer cycles to reach the detection threshold (cycle threshold), the higher the level of viral fragments.

It could be that the first positive test had a high cycle threshold, meaning there was less viral fragments. And in the next test that was negative, the cycle threshold was much higher, consistent with even less viral fragments.

So the first test could be a "true positive" and the second test might be a "true negative" (obviously this is not an all or nothing thing), as would be if you got infected 10 days ago, and the viral load was decreasing from the first test on the 9th day to the second test on the 10th day. You can think of reasonable variations on this scenario.

Another possibility is that the first test was a "false negative" and the second one might be a "true negative" if you were infected months ago, and these are viral fragments that don't correspond to having any infectious virus at all.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30453-7/fulltext
"RT-PCR assays in the UK have analytical sensitivity and specificity of greater than 95%, but no single gold standard assay exists."

Sensitivity is the true positive rate.
Specificity is the true negative rate.
So the false positive rate is (1 - specificity).

More discussion in https://assets.publishing.service.g...9_Impact_of_false_positives_and_negatives.pdf
"It is possible that a proportion of infections that we currently view as asymptomatic may in fact be due to these false positives."

• Informative
Likes neilparker62 and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Ive tried working this and can't get to 50%. what did you do?
Have CovidDo not Have Covid
Test Positive9%9%18%
Test Negative1%81%82%
10%90%

If you test positive, you are in the 18%. Of that 18%, half, or 9%, have Covid.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and jim mcnamara
Vanadium 50 said:

Thanks for this and your explanation in a later post. Does it mean that if you start out asymptomatic (pre-disposed towards 'do not have Covid' group) and get a + result, you can still consider yourself 50/50 in which case the next day you could easily test - as appears to have happened in the 2 cases I describe above. Would it make sense that if you are already ill and get tested + , the chances of a reversal , the next day are considerably less since you are pre-disposed towards the 'have Covid' group.

neilparker62 said:
Does it mean
What it means is that a 90% accurate test doesn't mean that if it is positive you have a 90% chance of having the disease. That's all. The probability of A given B is not the same as the probability of B given A.

1. What is a PCR test for Covid-19?

A PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test is a type of diagnostic test used to detect the presence of genetic material from the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes Covid-19. This test is considered the gold standard for diagnosing active infections.

2. What are the chances of a false positive on a PCR test for Covid-19?

The chances of a false positive on a PCR test for Covid-19 are very low, estimated to be less than 1%. This is because the test is highly specific and only detects genetic material from the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

3. What factors can contribute to a false positive result on a PCR test for Covid-19?

There are several factors that can contribute to a false positive result on a PCR test for Covid-19, including contamination of the sample, errors in the testing process, or the presence of non-infectious viral particles. However, these factors are rare and are usually controlled for in the testing process.

4. Can a false positive on a PCR test for Covid-19 lead to a misdiagnosis?

In most cases, a false positive on a PCR test for Covid-19 will not lead to a misdiagnosis. This is because the test is usually confirmed with a second test, such as a rapid antigen test or a viral culture. Additionally, healthcare providers will consider other factors, such as symptoms and exposure history, when making a diagnosis.

5. How can the accuracy of PCR tests for Covid-19 be improved?

The accuracy of PCR tests for Covid-19 can be improved by following proper testing protocols, ensuring sample collection and handling is done correctly, and using high-quality testing equipment. Ongoing quality control measures and validation studies can also help to improve the accuracy of PCR tests for Covid-19.