Chandrasekhar Mass - White Dwarf

In summary, the conversation is about computing the maximum mass for a white dwarf using the hydrostatic equilibrium equations and a self-made equation of state. The speaker is questioning the difference in mass between a carbon white dwarf and an iron white dwarf, with the latter having a lower mass. The explanation given is that the number of nucleons per electron affects the strength of gravity, making it easier to collapse the star. The speaker's orientator has also confirmed this.
Leonardo Machado
Hello guys.

I'm working to compute de max. mass for a white dwarf through solving the hidrostatic equilibrium equations. ( The classical ones, not TOV), and using an EoS made by my own, that considers the Fermi Pressure and stuff.

When i use the EoS for a carbon white dwarf ( i do get the Chandrasekhar mass correctly, but if i use for Iron i get i bit less then it should be. ( 1,23 instead 1,46 solar masses)

So. This difference really exist or I'm getting it wrong ??

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The most common isotope of iron has 30 neutrons to go with 26 protons, so that's 56 nucleons to 26 free electrons, whereas carbon 12 has 12 nucleons per 6 electrons. The Chandra mass is inversely proportional to the square of that ration, so is 1.16 times smaller for iron than for carbon. That seems to be what you are getting too, so I think you are correct. Physically, the more nucleons you have per electron, the stronger the gravity relative to the degeneracy pressure, so it is easier to collapse the star.

Likes Leonardo Machado
Ken G said:
The most common isotope of iron has 30 neutrons to go with 26 protons, so that's 56 nucleons to 26 free electrons, whereas carbon 12 has 12 nucleons per 6 electrons. The Chandra mass is inversely proportional to the square of that ration, so is 1.16 times smaller for iron than for carbon. That seems to be what you are getting too, so I think you are correct. Physically, the more nucleons you have per electron, the stronger the gravity relative to the degeneracy pressure, so it is easier to collapse the star.
Thanks friend, my orientator has confirmed it to me also.

Related to Chandrasekhar Mass - White Dwarf

What is the Chandrasekhar Mass?

The Chandrasekhar Mass, also known as the Chandrasekhar Limit, is the maximum mass that a white dwarf star can hold before it collapses into a neutron star or black hole. It is named after the Indian astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, who first calculated this limit.

What happens when a white dwarf reaches the Chandrasekhar Mass?

When a white dwarf reaches the Chandrasekhar Mass, it can no longer support itself against its own gravity. This leads to a catastrophic collapse, resulting in a supernova explosion.

How is the Chandrasekhar Mass calculated?

The Chandrasekhar Mass is calculated using the equations of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is dependent on the density, temperature, and composition of the white dwarf star.

What is the Chandrasekhar Mass of our Sun?

The Chandrasekhar Mass of our Sun is approximately 1.4 times the mass of our Sun, or 2.765 x 10^30 kg. This means that our Sun will eventually become a white dwarf star when it reaches the end of its life cycle.

Are there any exceptions to the Chandrasekhar Mass limit?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the Chandrasekhar Mass limit. For example, if the white dwarf is in a binary system and accretes mass from its companion star, it can exceed the limit and collapse into a neutron star or black hole. Additionally, some types of white dwarfs known as "super-Chandrasekhar" or "ultra-massive" white dwarfs can also exceed the limit due to their unique composition and structure.