White Dwarfs Catalogue - Find Mass & Radius Data

• Thread starter ORF
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for your help! I found the link you sent. The mass and radius data is contained in the table "Results", in the section "Comparison of measured and predicted radii and masses of white dwarfs".In summary, the data in this table shows that the radius and mass of a WD are inversely proportional.
ORF
Hi

I've solved numerically the equations for a white dwarf (ie, a Newtonian star in hydrostatic equilibrium, supposing the pressure is caused by relativistic electrons and the mass is provided by nuclei).

I would like to plot observed radius and mass for testing this model. Do you know if there is a catalogue with this experimental data of white dwarfs?

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello

Thanks for answering so quickly. I didn't find the radius of the WD in these web pages.

And thank you for your advice, but I googled during a whole day without results. The mass is easy to find, but the radius...

Greetings!

ORF said:
Hi

I've solved numerically the equations for a white dwarf (ie, a Newtonian star in hydrostatic equilibrium, supposing the pressure is caused by relativistic electrons and the mass is provided by nuclei).

I would like to plot observed radius and mass for testing this model. Do you know if there is a catalogue with this experimental data of white dwarfs?

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings!
The relationship between the radius and the mass of a white dwarf is a simple one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dwarf {See the section Mass–radius relationship and mass limit }

The paper cited here:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1979ApJ...228..240S

compiles a table of the characteristics of over 100 WD stars. Part 2 of the paper contains a table of this data, and a pdf copy of the paper can be downloaded from a link contained in the abstract.

Likes ORF
Hello!

Thank you both!

Chronos said:
Wow, almost 1900 WD catalogue! :D

SteamKing said:
The paper cited here:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1979ApJ...228..240S

compiles a table of the characteristics of over 100 WD stars. Part 2 of the paper contains a table of this data, and a pdf copy of the paper can be downloaded from a link contained in the abstract.

Thank you, it's a good reference and there is a lot of information! :D

Greetings!

1. What is a white dwarf?

A white dwarf is a small, dense star that is the remnant of a low or medium mass star that has reached the end of its life cycle and run out of nuclear fuel.

2. How are white dwarfs catalogued?

White dwarfs are typically catalogued based on their position in the sky, using coordinates such as right ascension and declination. They may also be given a designated name or number.

3. What type of data can be found in the white dwarf catalogue?

The white dwarf catalogue contains information about the mass and radius of each white dwarf, as well as its luminosity and temperature. Some catalogues may also include additional data such as distance from Earth and spectral type.

4. How are the mass and radius of white dwarfs determined?

The mass and radius of white dwarfs are determined through various methods, such as studying their gravitational effects on nearby objects or analyzing their light curves. These measurements can also be confirmed through theoretical models.

5. Why is studying white dwarfs important?

White dwarfs serve as important objects for studying the evolution of stars and the structure of the universe. They also play a role in the formation of other celestial bodies, such as planetary nebulae. Additionally, studying white dwarfs can help us better understand the fate of our own Sun in the distant future.