Change in a marine mammal's lung volume when diving to 200 meters

In summary, the average lung volume of a marine mammal can vary depending on the species, with bottlenose dolphins having an average of 12 liters and humpback whales having up to 5,000 liters. When diving to 200 meters, a marine mammal's lung volume will decrease due to the increasing pressure of the water, known as "lung compression." However, this can vary among different species, with deep diving species being able to collapse their lungs completely. Marine mammals have various adaptations to compensate for the decrease in lung volume during a deep dive, such as storing oxygen in muscles and blood and slowing down their heart rate. A marine mammal's lung volume can also change over time due to factors such as age,
crystal1001
Homework Statement
A marine mammal holds its breath and dives 200 m below the sea surface, where the total pressure is 2.061MPa. The volume of the mammal’s lungs when fully inflated at sea surface (air pressure = 101.3kPa) is 7 L. Assuming that the mammal’s core temperature remains constant at 310K, what will the volume of its lungs be when it reaches a depth of 200 m?
Answer: 0.344 litre
Relevant Equations
v^2=P1V1/P2
I attempt the solution on the attachment. The answer is 0.344 litre. Do I change 7L to m, so it is 0.007 cubic meters

Attachments

• 20191106_003343.jpg
    20191106_003343.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 108
Physics news on Phys.org
crystal1001 said:
Homework Statement: A marine mammal holds its breath and dives 200 m below the sea surface, where the total pressure is 2.061MPa. The volume of the mammal’s lungs when fully inflated at sea surface (air pressure = 101.3kPa) is 7 L. Assuming that the mammal’s core temperature remains constant at 310K, what will the volume of its lungs be when it reaches a depth of 200 m?
Answer: 0.344 litre
Homework Equations: v^2=P1V1/P2

I attempt the solution on the attachment. The answer is 0.344 litre. Do I change 7L to m, so it is 0.007 cubic meters
I do not understand your difficulty. You seem to have the answer. Are you saying 0.344L is wrong?
Why would you want to convert to m^3?

PS. In future, please use more meaningful thread titles.

In saying the answer is 0.344 l I believe you are saying that you have been given a correct answer but need to figure out how that was calculated, correct?

And I believe your concern is that you got 344 instead of 0.344, correct? I think your only problem is that you ignored that one pressure was in kPa and the other is in MPa. That’s why you are off by 3 orders of magnitude. Put the pressures in the same units.

Could you show how you derived this equation? I think there is a problem there.

Cutter Ketch said:
And I believe your concern is that you got 344 instead of 0.344
Ah! The image was so faint I assumed the period was just invisible.

Likes crystal1001
Tom.G said:

Clearly it is a typo for v2=P1V1/P2 (which is what the OP used).

Tom.G said:

I think that is just a typo. It is correct in the attached image

1. How does a marine mammal's lung volume change when diving to 200 meters?

The lung volume of a marine mammal decreases when diving to 200 meters due to the increasing water pressure. As the mammal descends, the external pressure on its body increases, causing its lungs to compress and reduce in volume.

2. Why do marine mammals need to change their lung volume when diving?

Changing their lung volume allows marine mammals to adapt to the high pressures of deep water. By reducing their lung volume, they can prevent their lungs from collapsing under the immense pressure and continue to breathe comfortably while diving.

3. How are marine mammals able to change their lung volume?

Marine mammals have a flexible ribcage and strong muscles that allow them to contract and expand their lungs. They also have specialized air sacs that can inflate and deflate to help regulate their lung volume while diving.

4. Is there a limit to how much a marine mammal can change its lung volume?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a marine mammal can change its lung volume. As they dive deeper, the pressure on their body increases, and their lungs can only compress so much before reaching their minimum volume. Going beyond this limit could result in lung collapse or other physiological complications.

5. How does the change in lung volume affect a marine mammal's diving abilities?

The change in lung volume is crucial for a marine mammal's diving abilities. By reducing their lung volume, they can conserve oxygen and stay submerged for longer periods. This allows them to dive deeper and forage for food in the depths of the ocean where their prey may reside.