Volume Expansion: Find Petrol Overflow After Temp Change

In summary: Wall thickness doesn't matter. Say the inside volume of the tank which defines its capacity is V0. When the temperature changes, the new volume is Vnew = V0 + βV0ΔT = V0(1+βΔT). You can view this as saying that thermal expansion is like enlarging a photograph of the tank by a factor of (1+βΔT). All relative proportions, e.g. the ratio of wall thickness to the tank's height, remain the same. Initially, the inside volume of the tank and the volume of the petrol are the same. When the temperature rises, the "photograph" of the petrol is "enlarged" by
Pao44445

Homework Statement

a steel tank is 70 litres,full of petrol. If a temperature is change from 20o C to 35o, find the increased volume of petrol that overflows
upload_2016-9-19_20-20-56.png

(βsteel = 950 x 10-6 )
βpetrol = 36 x 10-6 )

Homework Equations

Δv=βv0ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that both the steel tank and petrol will be increased by the heat and my equation is

change in volume of petrol - change in volume of steel = volume of petrol that overflows
Δvpetrol - Δvsteel = vf

and I got stuck with the volume of the tank :/

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you are expected to assume that the tank is full to the brim. Otherwise, you will not be able to do the problem.

kuruman said:
I think that you are expected to assume that the tank is full to the brim. Otherwise, you will not be able to do the problem.
yes, in that case

Pao44445 said:
(βsteel = 950 x 10-6 )
βpetrol = 36 x 10-6 )
I think you may have swapped the β values. If there's to be an overflow, shouldn't the oil volume expand more than the steel volume for the same change in temperature?

+1 google suggest the beta values have been swapped. I found 33 for iron and 700ish for various oils.

gneill said:
I think you may have swapped the β values. If there's to be an overflow, shouldn't the oil volume expand more than the steel volume for the same change in temperature?

Oops, yes my mistake ( I can't edit on my phone right now)

I asked my friend, she said the volume of the tank is the same as petrol but why? Or we assume that wall the tank is very thin?

Pao44445 said:
Oops, yes my mistake ( I can't edit on my phone right now)

I asked my friend, she said the volume of the tank is the same as petrol but why? Or we assume that wall the tank is very thin?
Why would the wall thickness of the tank be a factor?

Pao44445 said:
You can think of it as the tank's fluid capacity (the volume of its interior space). You can imagine the walls of the tank being as thick or thin as you wish so long as its initial capacity matches the given amount of oil.

Pao44445 said:
Wall thickness doesn't matter. Say the inside volume of the tank which defines its capacity is V0. When the temperature changes, the new volume is Vnew = V0 + βV0ΔT = V0(1+βΔT). You can view this as saying that thermal expansion is like enlarging a photograph of the tank by a factor of (1+βΔT). All relative proportions, e.g. the ratio of wall thickness to the tank's height, remain the same. Initially, the inside volume of the tank and the volume of the petrol are the same. When the temperature rises, the "photograph" of the petrol is "enlarged" by a larger factor than the "photograph" of the tank's inside volume. As long as you keep the tank's capacity (or inside volume) the same, you can add as much wall thickness to the outside of the tank and the answer will not change.

Related to Volume Expansion: Find Petrol Overflow After Temp Change

1. What is volume expansion?

Volume expansion is the increase in volume that occurs when the temperature of a substance increases. This is due to the fact that most substances expand when heated.

2. How does volume expansion affect petrol?

Petrol, like most liquids, will expand when heated. This means that when the temperature of petrol increases, its volume will also increase. This can potentially lead to an overflow if the petrol tank is not large enough to accommodate the expanded volume.

3. How can I calculate the volume expansion of petrol?

The volume expansion of petrol can be calculated using the coefficient of thermal expansion. This value represents the amount of expansion that occurs per unit increase in temperature. By multiplying the coefficient of thermal expansion by the initial volume of petrol and the change in temperature, you can determine the amount of volume expansion.

4. Can volume expansion of petrol cause damage to a vehicle?

If the petrol tank is not designed to accommodate the expanded volume, it can potentially cause damage to the vehicle. This can include overflowing of the petrol tank, which can be dangerous, as well as potential damage to the tank itself.

5. How can volume expansion of petrol be prevented?

To prevent volume expansion of petrol, it is important to ensure that the petrol tank is properly designed and can accommodate the expanded volume. Additionally, keeping the petrol tank full can help prevent significant expansion. It is also important to keep the vehicle in a cool location to minimize the effects of temperature changes.