Change in entropy, quasistatic, isothermal expansion

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for the quasistatic expansion of a monoatomic ideal gas, but gets stuck. They use the ideal gas law and express the heat in differential form. They integrate between the initial and final volumes.
Fuffuf

Homework Statement

I am to show that ΔS=Q/T for the isothermal expansion of a monoatomic ideal gas, when the expansion is so slow that the gas is always in equilibrium.

Homework Equations

1. law: ΔU=Q+W (We mustn't use dQ and dW - our teacher hates that :( ).
Ideal gas law: PV=NkT
We need the equation: ΔS=Nk*ln(V_final/V_initial)
And that quasistatic expansion work is W=-PΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

-I think I am to start with: ΔU=Q+W⇔Q=ΔU-W, where ΔU=0 since its isothermal.
-I know that it is quasistatic expansion work, so W = -PΔV, so Q = -(-PΔV) = PΔV
I think I want to get something from the ideal gas law in here: P=(NkT)/V, so

Q=(NkTΔV)/V

But then I kind of get stuck there...

Hope someone can help. I thinks it is really easy, but I kind wrap my head around it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at what you are supposed to show, take Q/T and compare that to what you have for ##\Delta S##.
So it seems like the question is: does ##\frac {\Delta V}{V} = \ln \frac{V_{final}}{V_{initial}}##?

Yeah - something like that?

What do you know about the function for V and/or ##\Delta##V if you are given an initial and final state?
Also, in the equations you provided for the ideal gas law, you change between R and k, are these different parameters?

I don't know anything but what I have written unfortunately. No, sorry - that's my mistake. It should have been k all along.

You really had the right idea in your initial post. Nice job. Now, just express the heat in differential form:
[tex]dQ=PdV=\frac{NkT}{V}dV[/tex]
Then integrate between the initial and final volumes.

Chet

Great - thanks a lot :)

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is a state function that describes the distribution of energy in a system and how it changes over time. In simple terms, the higher the entropy, the more disordered a system is.

2. What is a quasistatic process?

A quasistatic process is a thermodynamic process that occurs slowly enough for the system to remain in thermodynamic equilibrium at all times. This means that the system is always close to its equilibrium state and there is no abrupt change in any of its properties. Quasistatic processes are often used in theoretical calculations and idealized scenarios.

3. How is isothermal expansion different from adiabatic expansion?

In isothermal expansion, the temperature of the system remains constant while the volume increases. This means that the change in internal energy is equal to zero. In adiabatic expansion, there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings, so the temperature of the system decreases as the volume increases. This leads to a change in internal energy.

4. Why is isothermal expansion considered a reversible process?

Isothermal expansion is considered a reversible process because it can be reversed by applying a small external force to the system. This is possible because the temperature remains constant during the expansion, so the system can be returned to its initial state by reducing the volume and increasing the pressure.

5. How does isothermal expansion affect the entropy of a system?

In isothermal expansion, the entropy of a system increases because the volume increases and the energy of the system becomes more dispersed. This leads to a higher level of disorder and randomness in the system, resulting in an increase in entropy.