Change in gravitation potential energy in space

In summary, the object of mass 750 kg is lifted from the Earth's surface to a height of 6.8 x 10^6 m above its surface. The change in gravitational potential energy for the object is -2.27 x 10^10 J.
Lolagoeslala

Homework Statement

an object of mass 750 kg is lifted from the Earth's surface to a height of 6.8 x 10^6 m above its surface. Calculate the change in gravitational potential energy for the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this formula ΔEg = Eg2 - Eg1
ΔEg = -(GMm/r2) - (-GMm/r1)

Eg2 = -(GMm/r2)
Eg2 = -(6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)(5.98 x10^24kg)(750kg)/(6.8x10^6m)+(6.37x10^6m)
Eg2 = -2.27 x 10^10 J

Eg1 = -(GMm/r1)
Eg1 = -(6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)(5.98 x10^24kg)(750kg)/(6.37x10^6m)
Eg1 = -4.7x 10^10 J

ΔEg = Eg2 - Eg1
ΔEg = -2.27 x 10^10 J + 4.7x 10^10 J
ΔEg = 2.43 x 10^10 J

Is my process correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. But do be careful with parentheses: /(6.8x10^6m)+(6.37x10^6m):wink:

haruspex said:
Yes. But do be careful with parentheses: /(6.8x10^6m)+(6.37x10^6m):wink:

Is in like when I am adding them?
Are all the calculation right.. i really had trouble with them...
like adding the exponents above the 10... :frown:

Lolagoeslala said:
Is in like when I am adding them?
Most likely you knew what you intended when you wrote /(6.8x10^6m)+(6.37x10^6m), and therefore treated it as /((6.8x10^6m)+(6.37x10^6m)) when you used it, but it's confusing for others (including examiners!), and might confuse you sometime.
I did a sanity check. The altitude doubled the radius, and then some, so the energy should halve, and then some - which it did.

haruspex said:
Most likely you knew what you intended when you wrote /(6.8x10^6m)+(6.37x10^6m), and therefore treated it as /((6.8x10^6m)+(6.37x10^6m)) when you used it, but it's confusing for others (including examiners!), and might confuse you sometime.
I did a sanity check. The altitude doubled the radius, and then some, so the energy should halve, and then some - which it did.
so it is correct?

I believe so, but I did not check the arithmetic in detail.

1. How does gravity affect potential energy in space?

In space, potential energy is directly related to the gravitational force between two objects. The closer two objects are, the stronger the gravitational force between them, and the higher the potential energy. This means that as objects move closer to each other, their potential energy increases, and as they move farther apart, their potential energy decreases.

2. What is the formula for calculating potential energy in space?

The formula for calculating potential energy in space is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (which is a constant in space), and h is the distance between the objects. However, in space, the value for g may differ depending on the location and mass of the objects involved.

3. Can potential energy in space be negative?

Yes, potential energy in space can be negative. This occurs when the objects involved have a negative gravitational potential, meaning they are moving away from each other and their potential energy is decreasing. This can happen when objects have enough kinetic energy to overcome the gravitational pull between them.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its potential energy in space?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its potential energy in space. However, the mass of an object does affect the strength of the gravitational force between it and other objects, which in turn affects the potential energy between them. Objects with a larger mass will have a stronger gravitational force and therefore higher potential energy when near other objects.

5. How does potential energy in space affect the movement of objects?

In space, objects will naturally move towards areas with lower potential energy. This means that objects will move towards each other if their potential energy is decreasing, and move away from each other if their potential energy is increasing. This is due to the force of gravity, which pulls objects towards each other in order to minimize their potential energy.