When do I include the Earth's radius in questions involving satellites?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the gravitational potential energy of a satellite in orbit above the Earth's surface. The speaker explains that when given a height above the surface, the orbit radius should always include the Earth's radius added to the given height. This was not done in the first question, resulting in an incorrect answer.
checkerboard
Homework Statement
A 722-kg satellite is in circular orbit 7380 km above the surface of Earth (ME= 5.98 ´1024kg). The gravitational force acting on the satellite is
Relevant Equations
Fg=(GMm)/r^2
The answer is 5.29 x 10^3N and I used r=7 380 000m to get it. However, in a different question like this one "If the mass of Earth is 5.98 x 10^24kg and the radius is 6.38 x10^6m, the gravitational potential energy of a 1.2x 10^3-kg satellite located in an orbit 230 km above the surface of Earth is" where the answer is –7.2 x 10^10 J, I had to use the 230 000m radius AND add Earth's radius of 6.38 x10^6m in the equation Eg= -(GMm)/r to get the answer.

Both questions say the 'satellite in orbit x km above the surface of the Earth' but I can't tell when I should add Earth's radius and when I should leave it out. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you c:

Physics news on Phys.org
Satellite orbits are always taken to be about the center of the Earth, and the orbit radius is centered there. When they give you a height above the surface and you need the orbit radius, you must always include the radius of the Earth and add the height to that.

gneill said:
Satellite orbits are always taken to be about the center of the Earth, and the orbit radius is centered there. When they give you a height above the surface and you need the orbit radius, you must always include the radius of the Earth and add the height to that.
Thank you! Does that mean the first question's answer is wrong then? Or am I misunderstanding it

checkerboard said:
Does that mean the first question's answer is wrong then? Or am I misunderstanding it
Yes, you should have included the Earth's radius.

gneill said:
Yes, you should have included the Earth's radius.
Thank you very much!

Likes berkeman
Your welcome. And welcome to Physics Forums!

Likes checkerboard

1. When do I need to include the Earth's radius when calculating the orbital height of a satellite?

The Earth's radius must be included when calculating the orbital height of a satellite because it affects the distance between the satellite and the Earth's surface. This distance is crucial in determining the orbital parameters and ensuring the satellite maintains a stable orbit.

2. How does the Earth's radius impact the orbital speed of a satellite?

The Earth's radius plays a significant role in determining the orbital speed of a satellite. The larger the radius, the slower the satellite's orbital speed will be. This is because the gravitational pull of the Earth is stronger at larger distances, requiring the satellite to travel at a slower speed to maintain its orbit.

3. Do I need to include the Earth's radius when calculating the trajectory of a satellite?

Yes, the Earth's radius must be included when calculating the trajectory of a satellite. The radius affects the curvature of the Earth's surface, which in turn impacts the trajectory of the satellite. Ignoring the Earth's radius can lead to incorrect calculations and potentially cause the satellite to deviate from its intended path.

4. How do I incorporate the Earth's radius when determining the orbital period of a satellite?

The Earth's radius is a crucial factor in calculating the orbital period of a satellite. It is used to determine the distance between the satellite and the Earth's center, which is necessary for calculating the satellite's orbital speed. The orbital period is then calculated using this speed and the circumference of the orbit, which depends on the Earth's radius.

5. Can the Earth's radius be ignored in satellite calculations?

No, the Earth's radius cannot be ignored in satellite calculations. It is an essential component in determining the orbital parameters and ensuring the stability of a satellite's orbit. Neglecting the Earth's radius can lead to inaccurate calculations and potential orbital failures.