Change in length due to temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in length of a steel rod due to temperature changes and the role of the resistance of an aluminum rod in this process. The equation for the stress in the steel rod is given by σ_s = E_s(ε_s - α_sΔT), where ε_s is the strain in the steel rod, E_s is the Young's modulus of the rod, and α_s is the coefficient of linear expansion. The downward displacement of the end of the steel rod is related to the displacement of the end of the aluminum rod by δ_s/0.6 = -δ_A/1.2. The tension in the steel rod is given by P_s = A_sE_s(δ_s/L
Chestermiller said:
No. The equation I gave is correct.
I refer to the question that i posted in post#1, the steel contracted,
original equation is
$$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T)$$

so, εs is negative(due to contraction) , and -σsΔT has positive value (-σs(-T) =positive) , so σs has positive value?
thus, leading the equation to become
σs=Es(-ϵs+αsΔT) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:
I refer to the question that i posted in post#1, the steel contracted,
original equation is
$$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T)\$$

so, εs is negative(due to contraction) , and -σsΔT has positive value (-σs(-T) =positive) , so σs has positive value?
thus, leading the equation to become
σs=Es(-ϵs+αsΔT) ?
You need to brush up on algebra.

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
You need to brush up on algebra.
Which part is wrong?

haruspex said:
It's the contraction that would have occurred due to temperature if the aluminium rod were not there.

δA is the observed contraction in the steel. δst is the discrepancy
between the two.
But I do not understand what the diagram shows at C. It's a bit fuzzy, but it looks like it says the expansion of the aluminium rod
equals the observed contraction of the steel
rod. That is clearly not the case.
So, the change in length that we can notice is del (A) ? del (st) is the constraint?

chetzread said:
Which part is wrong?
The equation as I wrote it is correct and the equation as you wrote it is incorrect. If ##\Delta T=0##, your equation predicts that ##\sigma=-E\epsilon##. Does that make sense to you?

chetzread said:
del (st) is the constraint?
I would not have called it a constraint. That is not quite the right word. You could say the constraint is that the horizontal bar remains straight and attached to the two rods.
Del(st) is a consequence of that constraint. Another consequence is the stretching of the aluminium rod.

It might help to think of the process in three stages:
  1. The steel rod is cooled with no aluminium rod present. It contracts by δT(st). It is not under any tension or compression. Correspondingly, the horizontal bar rotates clockwise a bit.
  2. The aluminium rod is now to be attached to the bar, but because the bar has rotated it is not quite long enough. The bar is forcibly rotated back to the horizontal so that the aluminium rod can be attached. What has happened to the steel rod?
  3. The bar is now released. What will happen to the bar and each rod?

Likes Chestermiller
haruspex said:
What has happened to the steel rod?
The steel rod extend so that the bar can be rotated back to it's original condition...
haruspex said:
The bar is now released. What will happen to the bar and each rod?
Steel rod shorten, aluminum rod extend?
haruspex said:
The bar is forcibly rotated back to
the horizontal so that the aluminium rod can be attached
Do you mean, the aluminium will tried to pull the bar back to it's horizontal conditions, but the bar may not be perfectly horizontal as before rotation?

Chestermiller said:
The equation as I wrote it is correct and the equation as you wrote it is incorrect. If ##\Delta T=0##, your equation predicts that ##\sigma=-E\epsilon##. Does that make sense to you?
no . But , how does the equation you wrote relate to the question i asked in post #1?
to get σs = positive , ϵs must be > αsΔT ,
But , in the picture in the notes , i noticed that the change due to temperature (αsΔT or ∂ T(st) ) is more than ϵs(∂ A) , how can the equation given by you true ?

chetzread said:
no . But , how does the equation you wrote relate to the question i asked in post #1?
to get σs = positive , ϵs must be > αsΔT ,
What if ##\alpha_s\Delta T## is negative, and ##\epsilon_s## is also negative, but smaller in absolute magnitude than ##\alpha_s\Delta T##? Then, under these circumstances, ##\epsilon_s>\alpha_s\Delta T##, and ##\sigma>0##
But , in the picture in the notes , i noticed that the change due to temperature (αsΔT or ∂ T(st) ) is more than ϵs(∂ A) , how can the equation given by you true ?
Look at the picture again...carefully.

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
What if αsΔT\alpha_s\Delta T is negative, and ϵs\epsilon_s is also negative, but smaller in absolute magnitude than αsΔT\alpha_s\Delta T? Then, under these circumstances, ϵs>αsΔT\epsilon_s>\alpha_s\Delta T, and σ>0
Let ϵs = -3 , αsΔT = -6 , so
$$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T) = Es(-3-(-6) ) = +3 $$
so , we can rewrite the equation as $$\sigma_s=E_s(\-epsilon_s+\alpha_s \Delta T)$$ , am i right ?

Chestermiller said:
Look at the picture again.
can you explain further ?

chetzread said:
Let ϵs = -3 , αsΔT = -6 , so
$$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T) = Es(-3-(-6) ) = +3 $$
so , we can rewrite the equation as $$\sigma_s=E_s(\-epsilon_s+\alpha_s \Delta T)$$ , am i right ?
No. This is algebraically incorrect.

chetzread said:
can you explain further ?
Whichever of the dotted lines you look at, the decrease in length of the steel rod is half the increase in length of the aluminum rod.

Chestermiller said:
No. This is algebraically incorrect.
What if ##\alpha_s\Delta T## is negative, and ##\epsilon_s## is also negative, but smaller in absolute magnitude than ##\alpha_s\Delta T##?

chetzread said:
The steel rod extend so that the bar can be rotated back to it's original condition
Yes. Is it now under compression, under tension, or neutral?
chetzread said:
Steel rod shorten, aluminum rod extend?
Yes.
chetzread said:
Do you mean, the aluminium will tried to pull the bar back to it's horizontal conditions, but the bar may not be perfectly horizontal as before rotation?
yes. So, for each rod, is it now under compression, under tension, or neutral?

haruspex said:
Yes. Is it now under compression, under tension, or neutral?

Yes.
yes. So, for each rod, is it now under compression, under tension, or neutral?
tension , am i right ?

chetzread said:
What if ##\alpha_s\Delta T## is negative, and ##\epsilon_s## is also negative, but smaller in absolute magnitude than ##\alpha_s\Delta T##?
Then your arithmetic in post 47 is correct, but your final equation is incorrect, and inconsistent with your previous arithmetic.

Chestermiller said:
Then your arithmetic in post 47 is correct, but your final equation is incorrect, and inconsistent with your previous arithmetic.
why not ? i still couldn't get it

chetzread said:
why not ? i still couldn't get it
You can't have it both ways: $$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T) $$and$$\sigma_s=E_s(-\epsilon_s+\alpha_s \Delta T) $$ because the two equations produce opposite results for ##\sigma_s##. Try substituting ##\epsilon_s=-3## and ##\alpha_s \Delta T=-6## into the equation that you wrote, and tell me what you get.

chetzread said:
tension , am i right ?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
so ?

Chestermiller said:
You can't have it both ways: $$\sigma_s=E_s(\epsilon_s-\alpha_s \Delta T) $$and$$\sigma_s=E_s(-\epsilon_s+\alpha_s \Delta T) $$ because the two equations produce opposite results for ##\sigma_s##. Try substituting ##\epsilon_s=-3## and ##\alpha_s \Delta T=-6## into the equation that you wrote, and tell me what you get.
But , in the figure in post # 1 , we could see that $$\alpha_s\Delta T$$ > ϵs , this doesn't match with the equation that given by you

chetzread said:
But , in the figure in post # 1 , we could see that $$\alpha_s\Delta T$$ > ϵs , this doesn't match with the equation that given by you
How can you see that from the figure? It doesn't show these two quantities separately. Besides, which of the two equations gives tension for ##\sigma_s##, yours or mine? You yourself said that it has to be in tension.

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
How can you see that from the figure? It doesn't show these two quantities separately. Besides, which of the two equations gives tension for ##\sigma_s##, yours or mine? You yourself said that it has to be in tension.
it 's not i said . It's in figure , refer to green circle

Attachments

• 320.jpg
    320.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 313
haruspex said:
Yes.
what are you trying to say ?

chetzread said:
what are you trying to say ?
Earlier you appeared to be confused about compression and tension in the context of this problem. That part of the thread was my attempt to prove to you that in the end both rods will be in tension. From there, it is a matter of finding exactly how those two tensions balance out. I have been leaving that in the capable hands of Chester M.

haruspex said:
Earlier you appeared to be confused about compression and tension in the context of this problem. That part of the thread was my attempt to prove to you that in the end both rods will be in tension. From there, it is a matter of finding exactly how those two tensions balance out. I have been leaving that in the capable hands of Chester M.
so , due to Del(st) is a consequence of that constraint , so we could only see the del(A) as the change in length rather than del(Tst) ?

chetzread said:
In my judgment, the figure is incorrect.

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
In my judgment, the figure is incorrect.
what should be the correct one ?

chetzread said:
what should be the correct one ?
I don't have time right now to draw the correct figure because we are having some relatives visiting over the next couple of days. Sometime in the next few days, I will provide the correct figure. I hope you can afford to wait.

Likes chetzread
chetzread said:
so , due to Del(st) is a consequence of that constraint , so we could only see the del(A) as the change in length rather than del(Tst) ?
Yes.

chetzread said:
The diagram in the green circle matches what I wrote in post #4:
chetzread said:
the δT(st) is contraction of steel rod due to drop in temperature.
haruspex said:
it's the contraction that would occur due to the temperature change alone, yes. δA is the observed contraction in the steel. δst is the discrepancy between the two.

But as I also noted, the main diagram is very hard to read at bottom right. It shows some other δsome subscript for the extension of the aluminium rod. What is the subscript there? If that is also just "A" then it is wrong. Alternatively, if δA is defined as the extension in the aluminium rod then the diagram in the green circle is wrong.

Is the labeling as follows?
upload_2016-7-29_23-39-32.png

##\delta_{st}## is the change in length of the steel rod "due to stress alone".

##\delta_{T(st)}## is the change in length of the steel rod "due to temperature change alone".

##\delta_A## is the net displacement of point A (also the net change in length of the steel rod).

##\delta_{Al}## is the change in length of the aluminum rod due to stress (also the displacement of C).

Likes chetzread
TSny said:
View attachment 104083

##\delta_{T(st)}## is the change in length of the steel rod "due to temperature change alone".

##\delta_A## is the net displacement of point A (also the net change in length of the steel rod).
Yes, but ##\delta_st## is due to stress? Why there's stress? What caused it?
##\delta_{Al}## is the change in length of the aluminum rod due to stress (also the displacement of C).
TSny said:
View attachment 104083

Merely quoting (twice) what someone else posted is not very helpful. You were asked a question. Did you mean to include an answer?