Change in Optical Path Length

In summary, a thin film of dielectric material with a refractive index of 1.455 and a thickness of 6.50 mm is placed over one of the slits in an interference setup. This changes the optical path difference between the slit and the center of the screen by 2.9575 mm, resulting in a new order of interference of 4672. The thickness of the dielectric was originally stated as 6.50 mm, but it was later corrected to be 6.5 μm. The new m=0 order of interference occurs to the right of the original m=0 position due to the curved path of light leaving the dielectric.
says

Homework Statement

A thin film of dielectric material of refractive index 1.455 and thickness 6.50 mm is now placed over one of the slits (say the right-hand one). By how much will this change the optical path between the slit and the centre of the screen?

Homework Equations

Optical Path Difference (OPD) = n(r2-r1)
Where
n = refractive index
L = length between slit and screen
r2 = length light travels from one slit
r1 = length light travels from the other slit

Optical Path Length (OPL) = nL

The Attempt at a Solution

In my lecture notes I've been given the OPD & OPL equation, however I haven't been told what happens to the OPL and thus OPD when light goes through a material of refractive index n.

I've made an attempt, which I've attached. I think I've over thought this question a bit...

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

A thin film of dielectric material of refractive index 1.455 and thickness 6.50 mm is now placed over one of the slits (say the right-hand one). By how much will this change the optical path between the slit and the centre of the screen?

Homework Equations

Optical Path Difference (OPD) = n(r2-r1)
Where
n = refractive index
L = length between slit and screen
r2 = length light travels from one slit
r1 = length light travels from the other slit

Optical Path Length (OPL) = nL

The Attempt at a Solution

In my lecture notes I've been given the OPD & OPL equation, however I haven't been told what happens to the OPL and thus OPD when light goes through a material of refractive index n.

I've made an attempt, which I've attached. I think I've over thought this question a bit...

Yes, it would have been much simpler to expand the parentheses and simplifying. Your result is almost correct, there is some little calculation error.

Likes says
Thanks echild!

Can you refer me to the simplification and the calculation error? I've looked at this problem for so long it doesn't make sense anymore!

If you type in your derivation, I can show you how to make it simpler.

OPL = n1*D
OPL2 = (n2*t)+(n1*L2)

OPD = (N2*t)+(n1*L2)]-(n1*L1)
= [(1.455*0.0065m)+(1*5.1235m)] - (1*5.13m)
= 5.132925m - 5.13m
= 2.925 mm

Simplify your expression before plugging in the data. Anyway, the result is not 2.925.
says said:
OPL = n1*D
OPL2 = (n2*t)+(n1*L2)

OPD = (N2*t)+(n1*L2)]-(n1*L1)
= 5.132925m - 5.13m
= 2.925 mm

L2=L1-t
OPD = (N2*t)+n1*(L1-t) - (n1*L1) = (N2-N1)t

Thanks for the simplification, echild!

I plugged in the numbers again and you are right! I appear to have incorrectly calculated [(1.455*0.0065m)+(1*5.1235m)].

This is what I get now.

= 5.1329575m - 5.13m
= 2.9575 mm

Using simplified equation:

(n2-n1)t = (1.455-1)*6.50mm = 2.9575mm

I've now been asked to calculate the new order of interference at the centre of the screen where the zero order originally occurred.

m = (OPD / λ)
m = 2.9575 / 6.33*10^-7
= 4672.2

This doesn't look right to me.

I was thinking that either my OPD is incorrect, or the m value at the original m=0 does equal 4672.2, and this number just represents the number of full cycles (wavelengths).

Therefore, 4672.2 * 633nm = 2.95mm (displacement from original m=0 to new m=0)

I hope this makes sense...

They ask how many wavelengths does the optical path difference mean: it is the new order. You calculated it correctly. The thickness of the dielectric is very big, it is not a thin film, it is a very thick slab in optical sense. Maybe, they wanted to say 6.5 micrometer.

Likes says
It's funny you say that, because the problem statement says the thickness is '6.50 mm'! Might be a typing error.

The big number is confusing me because I thought that maybe I should be using a different equation because the dielectric isn't a 'thin' film. However, I then started to wonder what actually defines a 'thin' film? Isn't it relative to the distance between the slits and the screen. In this questions case, the dielectric is 6.5mm and the distance between the screen and the slits is around 5.13m, therefore would I assume it's a thin film, relative to the distance between the slits and the screen.

I've added a more detailed calculation I did last night.

m = | t/λdielectric - t/λair |

|absolute value| used to get a positive m value.

ndielectricdielectric = nairair

t = m * λair*nair/(ndielectric-nair)

0.0065 * 0.455 = m * 6.33*10^-7

(0.0065 * 0.455) / 6.33*10^-7 = m

m = 4,672 = new order of interference where the m = 0 order of interference originally was before the dielectric material was placed over one slit.

m * λ = OPD
4672 * 6.33*10^-7 = 2.95 mm

Would the last part of this equation m * λ = OPD = 2.95 mm be the distance where the new m = 0 (order of interference) occurs with the dielectric over the right slit.

I'm assuming the new m = 0 (order of interference) is to the right of the original m = 0 (order of interference) position, because when the light leaves the dielectric it curves away from the normal.

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 553
So... I just checked the question and they made an error with the thickness of the dielectric. It's 6.5μm. It's so frustrating that they realized their mistake but then didn't tell anyone about it! I spent a good 5+ hours trying to figure out why my new m = 0 value was over 4,000!

Such things happen quite often, micrometer is easy to mix with millimetre. But it is very good that you solved the problem correctly. :oldsmile:

Likes says
Thanks for your help, echild!

Would the last part of this equation m * λ = OPD = 2.95 mm be the distance where the new m = 0 (order of interference) occurs with the dielectric over the right slit.

I'm assuming the new m = 0 (order of interference) is to the right of the original m = 0 (order of interference) position, because when the light leaves the dielectric it curves away from the normal.

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 578
The new m=0 order occurs when the path difference between the rays emerging from both slits have the same pathlengths.
The beams decline from the normal. You can determine the angle θ when the optical path difference is zero (between the green and blue rays), but it is a bit complicated.
By the way, thin film means that the thickness is comparable to the wavelength. It can be in the micrometer range or less.
So forget that 2.95 mm.
pathdiff.JPG

Likes says

1. What is the definition of "Change in Optical Path Length"?

The change in optical path length refers to the difference in the distance that light travels through a medium between two points. This can occur due to changes in the refractive index of the medium or changes in the physical distance between the two points.

2. How is the change in optical path length measured?

The change in optical path length can be measured using various techniques such as interferometry, optical coherence tomography, or by using a spectrometer to measure the spectral shift of light passing through the medium.

3. What factors can cause a change in optical path length?

A change in optical path length can be caused by changes in the temperature, pressure, or density of the medium through which light is traveling. It can also be caused by the presence of different materials with varying refractive indices in the path of the light.

4. How does a change in optical path length affect the propagation of light?

A change in optical path length can result in a change in the phase of the light, which can affect its wavelength, frequency, and direction of propagation. This can lead to phenomena such as diffraction, refraction, and interference.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding changes in optical path length?

Understanding changes in optical path length is crucial in fields such as optics, photonics, and telecommunications. It is used in the design of lenses, mirrors, and other optical components, as well as in the development of technologies such as fiber optics and laser systems.