Radio waves in air and water - difference in path

In summary, there is confusion regarding the meaning of the assignment and the term "razlika hoda." The given solution of 9m does not seem to match the question or the units being used. It is recommended to clarify with the teacher for a better understanding of the problem.
Mircro
Homework Statement
Radio waves of wavelength 12m propagate from the source. The source is on the surface of the water and two waves propagate from it: one through the air and the other through the water. After they both crossed the 100m they find themselves together again. What is the path difference between these two waves? (water refractive index is n = 1.33)
Relevant Equations
[tex]φ=\frac{2π}{λ}δ[/tex] [tex]δ=x_1−x_2[/tex] [tex]λ'=\frac{λ}{n}[/tex]
Hello, this is an assigment form the 4th grade high school physics in Croatia, concerning electromagnetic waves.

Radio waves of wavelength 12m propagate from the source. The source is on the surface of the water and two waves propagate from it: one through the air and the other through the water. After they both crossed the 100m they find themselves together again. What is the path difference between these two waves? (water refractive index is n = 1.33)
Solution: 9m

While searching for the solution, I found there are optical and geometrical path, we haven't learn about this different paths in school, so I don't know what is this referred to. I don't understand the meaning of the assignment: what does it mean that they "find themselves together again"?

The part is " what is the path difference between these two waves" is crucial because In my language the question would be find the what is the ""razlika hoda": I don't know what is this term exactly in English so I'll try to explain how it is defined in my textbook:

"Razlika hoda" is the difference in paths that two waves travel from the source to some point in space [tex]δ=x_1−x_2[/tex]

Then the phase difference is: [tex]φ=\frac{2π}{λ}δ[/tex]

Hopefully I've explained enough about what the problem is :)

Thank you in advance

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know Croatian at all so I cannot clarify what "razlika hoda" refers to. However, I noted that the supposed answer of 9 m is the wavelength of the radio waves in water $$\lambda' = \frac{\lambda}{n}=\frac{12~\mathrm{m}}{4/3}=\frac{3\times 12~\mathrm{m}}{4}=9~\mathrm{m}.$$This is not a difference in any sense of the word that I can think of.

Now the path difference in meters is L2 - L1 = 0 because the two paths in meters have equal lengths. Perhaps what is being asked is the path difference where the unit of length is not meters but a wavelength. The wavelength in water is shorter than the wavelength in air which means that you can fit more wavelengths in 100 m of water than 100 m of air. If the difference between the two is what is being asked, then the answer is not 9 and the units are not meters. Something doesn't match or is lost in translation.

Maybe a PF member who understands Croatian can answer this, but I think you should really ask your teacher to explain.

1. What is the difference between the path of radio waves in air and water?

The main difference between the path of radio waves in air and water is the medium through which they travel. Radio waves travel faster in air than in water because air is less dense and has less resistance. This means that radio waves can travel further in air before losing their strength, whereas in water they lose their strength much quicker.

2. How do radio waves behave differently in air and water?

In air, radio waves travel in a straight line until they encounter an obstacle or are absorbed by an object. In water, radio waves can be reflected, refracted, or absorbed by objects. This is due to the difference in density between air and water, which affects the speed and direction of the waves.

3. Why do radio waves travel further in air than in water?

Radio waves travel further in air because air has a lower density and less resistance compared to water. This means that there are fewer obstacles for the waves to encounter, allowing them to travel further without losing their strength.

4. How does the temperature affect the path of radio waves in air and water?

The temperature can affect the path of radio waves in air and water by changing the density of the medium. In air, warmer temperatures can cause the air to expand, reducing its density and allowing radio waves to travel further. In water, warmer temperatures can cause the water to become less dense, allowing radio waves to travel faster and further.

5. Can radio waves travel through both air and water at the same time?

Yes, radio waves can travel through both air and water at the same time. However, the path of the waves may be affected by the change in medium, causing them to reflect, refract, or be absorbed. This is why underwater communication systems use specialized equipment to transmit and receive radio waves in water.