Change in potential energy of elastic strip under deformation

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear elastic strip with natural length a and stiffness k, transformed by a monotone increasing function f between x = 0 and x = a. The problem is to find a function f(x) that minimizes the potential energy while satisfying the boundary conditions f(0) = 0 and f(a) = b. The solution involves treating the strip as a series of small segments, finding the energy of each segment, and taking the continuum limit. The stiffness of the segments is not the same as the stiffness of the entire strip.
eutectic
A linear elastic strip of natural length a and stiffness k lies between x = 0 and x = a. Each point on the strip is transformed by a differentiable, monotone increasing function f.

a) Characterise the change in potential energy.

b) Given the boundary conditions f(0) = 0 and f(a) = b, choose f such that the potential energy is minimised.

My first thought was to find a piecewise linear approximation to the problem and then take the continuum limit.

If we let [itex]x_0, x_1,..., x_i,...,x_n[/itex] denote an ordered set of points joined by springs then we have [itex]\Delta{E_i}=\int\limits_0^{e_i}\! kx + k(x - e_{i - 1})\, \mathrm{d}x=k(e_{i}^2-e_{i}e_{i-1})[/itex] where [itex]e_i=f(x_i) - x_i[/itex] and [itex]\Delta{E_i}[/itex] denotes the change in potential energy associated by the displacement of [itex]x_i[/itex] given that [itex]x_i[/itex] is displaced after [itex]x_{i-1}[/itex]. We then have (neglecting the endpoints) [itex]\Delta{E_{total}}\approx\!k\sum\limits_i\!(e_{i}^2-e_{i}e_{i-1})[/itex], but I am not sure where to go from there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:

If we factorise [itex]\!k\sum\limits_i\!(e_{i}^2-e_{i}e_{i-1})[/itex] to give [itex]\!k\sum\limits_i\!e_i(e_i - e_{i-1})[/itex] then in the limit we get [itex]\Delta{E_{total}} = \!k\int\limits_x\! e\mathrm{d}e=\frac{ke(x)^2}{2}\bigg|_{x_0}^{x_1}[/itex], but this lack of dependence of internal state runs counter to intuition; it seems to me that if you hold the ends of a rubber band fixed and pull the middle to one side it will snap back. Have I done something wrong? If so, what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, eutectic. Welcome to PF!

I'm not understanding your expression for ##\Delta E_i##. But, your idea of starting with a finite number of segments of the strip, treating each as a little spring, and then going to the continuum limit should work. You can let the length of each segment (before stretching) be the same amount ##\Delta x##. After the strip is stretched, each segment will have an energy ##\Delta E_i = \frac{1}{2} k_{seg} (\Delta L_i)^2##, where ##k_{seg}## is the effective spring constant of a segment and ##\Delta L_i## is the amount of stretch of the ith segment.

You'll need to relate ##k_{seg}## to the overall force constant ##k## for the entire strip, and you'll need to find an expression for ##\Delta L_i## in terms of the function ##f(x)## and ##\Delta x##. See the attached figure.

Attachments

• elastic strip.jpg
    elastic strip.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 436
eutectic said:
A linear elastic strip of natural length a and stiffness k lies between x = 0 and x = a.
If the natural length of the strip is a, and it lies between x = 0 and x = a, then the strip is not under tension, so it's not clear to me what f is supposed to represent. If the strip were under tension, then the tension would be the same at all points along the strip (Newton's third law) (assuming the strip is horizontal and not affected by gravity).

rcgldr said:
If the natural length of the strip is a, and it lies between x = 0 and x = a, then the strip is not under tension, so it's not clear to me what f is supposed to represent.

That's before the transformation by f(x). After transformation, f(a) = b. So it represents a (potentially) non-uniform stretch.

If the strip were under tension, then the tension would be the same at all points along what is assumed to be a horizontal strip (if the strip were vertical, then gravity would cause tension to increase with height).

That's what the result of this exercise is supposed to demonstrate.

eutectic said:
Each point on the strip is transformed by a differentiable, monotone increasing function f.

voko said:
After transformation, f(a) = b. So it represents a (potentially) non-uniform stretch.
The problem statement doesn't explain what the output of monotone increasing function f() or b are. So you're supposed to assume that f(a) means the strip is streched to length b? Is the student supposed allow for a strip where total stiffnes is k, but the stiffness varies across the length of the strip, which would require using calculus of variations? If the stiffness is k everywhere in the strip, then wouldn't f() have to be linearly increasing by definition of a constant stiffness?

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
The problem statement doesn't explain what the output of monotone increasing function f() or b are. So you're supposed to assume that f(a) means the strip is streched to length b? Is the student supposed allow for a strip where stiffness varies over the length of the strip by using calculus of variations?

Yes, excepted that stiffness does not vary - it simply does not apply. It is a property of the entire object, and you need to replace it with something that could be used in infinitesimal analysis.

rcgldr said:
The problem statement doesn't explain what the output of monotone increasing function f() or b are. So you're supposed to assume that f(a) means the strip is streched to length b?
Yes, that's how I interpret it.
Is the student supposed allow for a strip where total stiffnes is k, but the stiffness varies across the length of the strip, which would require using calculus of variations? If the stiffness is k everywhere in the strip, then wouldn't f() have to be linearly increasing by definition of a constant stiffness?

If you marked segments of equal length along the strip before it is stretched, then each segment would have the same stiffness , but the stiffness of the segments is not the same as the stiffness of the entire strip. Equivalently, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_modulus][/PLAIN] Young's modulus would be the same throughout the strip.

I think the problem is saying that there are external forces applied along the strip to stretch different small segments different amounts in a fairly arbitrary way. A point that was a distance x from the left end will end up at a distance f(x) from the left end. The resultant deformation will have a certain total elastic potential energy. The problem is to find the function f(x) that minimizes the energy and satisfies the boundary conditions. You can use calculus of variations on the resultant integral expression for the energy, but I think the answer can be found without using the formalism of calculus of variations.

Last edited by a moderator:
TSny said:
If you marked segments of equal length along the strip before it is stretched, then each segment would have the same stiffness, but the stiffness of the segments is not the same as the stiffness of the entire strip.
I don't understand this. If all segments have the same stiffness, then why wouldn't the entire strip have the same stiffness?

Correction to link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngs_modulus

Stiffness depends on material properties and dimensions. You need something independent of dimensions - at least, of the length - here.

If at first you don't succeed...

OK, here goes round two, guided by TSny's advice.

[itex]k_{seg}=\frac{ka}{\Delta\!x}[/itex]

[itex]\Delta\!L_i=(f(x_i+\Delta\!x) - (x_i+\Delta\!x)) - (f(x_i) - x_i)=f(x_i+\Delta\!x)-f(x_i)-\Delta\!x=\Delta\!f-\Delta\!x[/itex]

[itex]\Delta\!E_i
=\frac{ka}{2\Delta\!x}(\Delta\!f-\Delta\!x)^2
=\frac{ka}{2\Delta\!x}((\Delta\!f)^2+(\Delta\!x)^2 - 2 \Delta\!f \Delta\!x)
=\frac{ka}{2}(\frac{(\Delta\!f)^2}{\Delta\!x}+ \Delta\!x - 2\Delta\!f)[/itex]

[itex]\Delta\!E_{discrete}=\frac{ka}{2}\sum\!(\frac{ \Delta\!f}{\Delta\!x} \Delta\!f - 2\Delta\!f + \Delta\!x)[/itex]

[itex]\Delta\!E_{continuous}=\frac{ka}{2}(\int\limits_{f(0)}^{f(a)}(\frac{\mathrm{d}f(x)}{\mathrm{d}x}-2)\mathrm{d}f(x)+ \int\limits_0^a\mathrm{d}x)
=\frac{ka}{2}(\int\limits_0^a (f'(x))^2\mathrm{d}x+2(f(0)-f(a))+a)[/itex]

Given the imposed boundary conditions the second part of the problem is obviously to be solved by minimising [itex]\int\limits_0^a (f'(x))^2\mathrm{d}x[/itex], subject to [itex]\int\limits_0^a f'(x)\mathrm{d}x=b[/itex]. Going back to the discrete case this gives us the minimisation of [itex]\sum\limits_i\!f'(x_i)^2\Delta\!x[/itex], subject to [itex]\sum\limits_i\!f'(x_i)\Delta\!x=b[/itex]. Substituting [itex]f'(x_n) = \frac{b}{\Delta\!x} - \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\!f'(x_i)[/itex] gives [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\!(f'(x_j))}(\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}f'(x_i)^2 + (\frac{b}{\Delta\!x} - \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\!f'(x_i))^2\Delta\!x) = 0 = 2\Delta\!x(f'(x_j) - (\frac{b}{\Delta\!x} - \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} f'(x_i)))[/itex].

Hence [itex] f'(x_j) = \frac{b}{\Delta\!x} - \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} f'(x_i)=f'(x_n)=constant[/itex]

Last edited:
I find it a bit easier to think in terms of the displacement function, g(x) = f(x)-x.
Over a segment δx, the extension is δg(x) and the tension is kδg(x)/δx. The energy stored in it is k(δg(x))2/2δx. In the limit, that's k(g')2δx/2. Integrating, ##E = \frac12\int_{x=0}^ag'^2.dx = \frac12\int_{x=0}^a(f'-1)^2.dx ##.
Writing ##L(x, f, f') = \frac12 (f'-1)^2##, the Euler-Lagrange equation gives ##0 = \frac d{dx}\frac{∂L}{∂f'} = \frac d{dx}(f'-1)##. Hence f'-1 = constant.

Related to Change in potential energy of elastic strip under deformation

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is the stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object changes its position or condition.

2. What is an elastic strip?

An elastic strip is a thin, flexible material that can be stretched or deformed and then return to its original shape and size when the force is removed. Examples of elastic strips include rubber bands, bungee cords, and springs.

3. How does deformation affect the potential energy of an elastic strip?

When an elastic strip is deformed, it stores potential energy in the form of strain energy. The more it is deformed, the more potential energy it stores. This potential energy is released when the elastic strip returns to its original shape.

4. What factors affect the change in potential energy of an elastic strip under deformation?

The change in potential energy of an elastic strip under deformation is affected by the material properties of the strip, such as its elasticity and modulus of elasticity. The amount of deformation and the force applied to the strip also play a role in the change in potential energy.

5. How is the change in potential energy of an elastic strip calculated?

The change in potential energy of an elastic strip can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 k x^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant (a measure of the strip's elasticity), and x is the amount of deformation. This formula is based on Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to an elastic object is directly proportional to the amount of deformation.