Change in potential energy of expanded air in piston-cylinder

In summary, the air in the piston-cylinder assembly has a volume increase of 1.6 ft^3 and a constant pressure. The area of the piston is 1 ft^2, the mass of the air is 0.6 lb, and the local acceleration of gravity is 32.0 ft/s^2. The problem mentioned in the conversation is finding the change in potential energy of the air in Btu. Some confusion arises on whether to use the height change of the center of gravity or the top surface of the volume. However, it is determined that the change in potential energy of the air is negligible and the change in internal energy of the piston is considered instead.
Danny_aero
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Air is heated in a vertical piston–cylinder assembly fitted with an electrical resistor. The volume of the air slowly increases by 1.6 ft^3 while its pressure remains constant. The area of the piston is 1 ft^2. The mass of the air is 0.6 lb. The local acceleration of gravity is g = 32.0 ft/s^2.

Question: Find the change in potential energy of the air in Btu.

1645616112555.png

My calculation:
1645618233991.png

My answer is exact half as the book's answer.
I use the change of CG location to compute the elevation change. But it seems that the book uses the change of volume's top surface, which makes me confused. Shouldn't I use the height change of the CG instead of the height change of the top surface?

My thought is that:
If 1.6ft is used in height change, doesn't it mean that the whole volume and all the air molecules have risen for 1.6ft? But it shouldn't be the case, right? If the air is distributed evenly, there should be some air molecules stay on the bottom and some molecules move upwards for a little distance but absolutely not that much as 1.6ft higher. So, not all air molecules rise 1.6ft and ∆PE shouldn't be mg x (1.6ft).

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you.
If we would double the volume, the location of the new CG would at the height the bottom of the piston initially occupies.

This problem from Moran et al clearly indicates that the change in potential energy of the air is negligible. In part b, they determine the change in internal energy of the piston (not the air) when they consider the piston as part of the "system." The vertical displacement of the piston times the weight of the piston is its change in potential energy.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Baluncore

1. How does the potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder change?

The potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder changes due to the work done by the expanding gas on the piston. As the gas expands, it pushes against the piston, causing it to move and do work. This work is converted into potential energy, which is stored in the expanded air.

2. What factors affect the change in potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder?

The change in potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder is affected by the amount of gas being expanded, the pressure of the gas, and the volume of the cylinder. The greater the amount of gas, the higher the pressure, and the larger the volume, the greater the change in potential energy will be.

3. Can the potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder be negative?

Yes, the potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder can be negative if the gas is compressed instead of expanded. In this case, the work done by the piston on the gas will result in a decrease in potential energy.

4. How does the change in potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder affect the temperature of the gas?

The change in potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder does not directly affect the temperature of the gas. However, as the gas expands and does work on the piston, it also loses some of its internal energy, causing a decrease in temperature.

5. Is the change in potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder reversible?

In theory, the change in potential energy of expanded air in a piston-cylinder is reversible. This means that if the gas is compressed back to its original volume, the potential energy will return to its original value. However, in practice, there will always be some energy loss due to friction and other factors, making the change in potential energy irreversible.