Change in r-hat by change in theta

In summary, the motion of a particle in standard plane polar coordinates can be described by the expressions ##\frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta}=d\theta## and ##\frac{d\hat{\theta}}{d\theta}=1##, where ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## are the unit vectors in the radial and angular directions, respectively. These expressions can be derived using the first method of expressing ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## in terms of Cartesian unit vectors and differentiating, and using geometry or trigonometry to show all necessary steps.
Storm6436

Homework Statement

The motion of a particle is described in standard planepolar coordinates. Derive
an expression for each of ##\frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta}## and ##\frac{d\hat{\theta}}{d\theta}##, each in terms of one or both of ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## as necessary. Derive both results through using each of two
methods:

i.First method: Start by expressing ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## in terms of Cartesian unit vectors. Then differentiate each expression, make a diagram and use geometry or trigonometry, etc. Clearly show all
necessary steps of the argument for each.

(Omitting second method because I'm pretty sure once I figure the first out, I'll be able to use the rotating frames argument on my own)

Homework Equations

$$y=r\sin(\theta)$$
$$\frac{dy}{d\theta}=r\cos(\theta)$$
$$x=r\cos(\theta)$$
$$\frac{dx}{d\theta}=-r\sin(\theta)$$
$$r\hat{r}=x\cos{\theta}\hat{x} + y\sin{\theta}\hat{y}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So I chucked a ##\frac{d}{d\theta}## at the last equation listed, which spits out: $$ \frac{dr}{d\theta}\hat{r} +r \frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta} = \left(\frac{dx}{d\theta}\cos{\theta}- x\sin{\theta}\right)\hat{x} + \left( \frac{dy}{d\theta}\sin{\theta}+ y\sin{\theta}\right)\hat{y}$$

I then figured if we're rolling only in ##\theta##, then by the fact that ##\hat{\theta}## is orthogonal to ##\hat{r}##, that makes ## \frac{dr}{d\theta}\hat{r} = 0##

With that in mind, I subbed in the two equations for ##\frac{dx}{d\theta}## and ##\frac{dy}{d\theta}## which yielded:

$$r \frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta} = \left(-r\sin{\theta}\cos{\theta}-r\sin{\theta}\cos{\theta}\right)\hat{x} + \left( r\sin{\theta}\cos{\theta}+r\sin{\theta}\cos{\theta}\right)\hat{y}$$

Which simplifies to:

$$r \frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta} = -2r\sin{\theta}\cos{\theta}\hat{x} +2r\sin{\theta}\cos{\theta}\hat{y}$$

I guess where I'm stuck is trying to boil it down further into just ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}##. It's been way too long since I've done vector calc, so I'm not sure if I can just divide out all the r's or where else I should go from this step, provided I even did it right in the first place. I mean, it'd be nice if I could snarf the cos off the x and the sin off the y and be all voila, ##\hat{r}## but I'm pretty certain that's not how this works.

Similarly, I'm expecting this to end up something like ##\frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta}=d\theta## and this doesn't look to me like it's heading that way at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\hat{r}=\cos{\theta}\hat{i}+\sin{\theta}\hat{j}$$

Likes Storm6436
You're kidding, right? *facepalm* Leave it to me to overcomplicate things and totally miss the obvious. Thanks, Chester. At least I managed to learn a decent amount of LaTeX last night while I was spinning my wheels.

For what it's worth, now that I've finished both parts of the above problem, it popped into my head where I went wrong above. For the use-case I was attempting, X and Y are fixed values, so ##\frac{dx}{d\theta}=0## and ##\frac{dy}{d\theta}=0## which plops out the answer I should have been getting if you correct the error I made above on the second term of ##\hat{y}##, which should have been ##\cos{\theta}## not ##\sin{\theta}##.

Likes Chestermiller

What is "Change in r-hat by change in theta"?

"Change in r-hat by change in theta" is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of the unit vector r-hat with respect to the angle theta.

Why is "Change in r-hat by change in theta" important?

"Change in r-hat by change in theta" is important because it helps us understand how a vector changes direction as the angle theta changes. This is useful in fields such as physics and engineering.

How is "Change in r-hat by change in theta" calculated?

The calculation for "Change in r-hat by change in theta" involves taking the derivative of the unit vector r-hat with respect to the angle theta. This can be represented as d(r-hat)/d(theta).

What is the significance of the direction of "Change in r-hat by change in theta"?

The direction of "Change in r-hat by change in theta" is important because it tells us the direction in which the unit vector r-hat is changing as the angle theta changes. This can help us visualize and understand how a vector is changing direction.

Can "Change in r-hat by change in theta" have a negative value?

Yes, "Change in r-hat by change in theta" can have a negative value. This indicates that the unit vector r-hat is changing direction in the opposite direction of the angle theta. This is a common occurrence in mathematics and physics and does not affect the significance of the concept.