Change of Basis With Orbital Angular Momentum

In summary, to find the column vector in the z-basis that represents the initial orbital angular momentum state in the x basis, we can use the Lx operator and the eigenvalue equation. By representing the states as matrices and solving the resulting matrix problem, we can determine the values of the unknown coefficients and find the desired column vector.
tristan3214

Homework Statement

We have the initial orbital angular momentum state in the x basis as |l,ml>x=|1,1>x. We are asked to find the column vector in the z-basis that represents the initial orbital angular momentum of the above state. It then says "hint: use an eigenvalue equation".

Homework Equations

I feel like this is a simple change of basis from the x basis to the z basis with the Lx operator. However, I am not convinced this is quite the steps I need to take.

The Attempt at a Solution

To start I applied the Lx operator (the 3x3 operator that I think is responsible for changing basis) it is equal to half the angular momentum ladder operators added with each other. This only gives me one column vector where there should be 3, I think, since there should be some probability with each value of the quantum number m possible for the z component.

Another attempt was to try to find the eigenvalues of the Lx operator and to apply the 3 eigenvalues found as the probability to each vector but this didn't pan out so well. So here I am wondering how I might approach this problem in a different way. Any idea is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This post contains more of the solution than advisable when posting in the homework forums. It has been left as the OP has already read it.
tristan3214 said:

Homework Statement

We have the initial orbital angular momentum state in the x basis as |l,ml>x=|1,1>x. We are asked to find the column vector in the z-basis that represents the initial orbital angular momentum of the above state. It then says "hint: use an eigenvalue equation".

Homework Equations

I feel like this is a simple change of basis from the x basis to the z basis with the Lx operator. However, I am not convinced this is quite the steps I need to take.

The Attempt at a Solution

To start I applied the Lx operator (the 3x3 operator that I think is responsible for changing basis) it is equal to half the angular momentum ladder operators added with each other. This only gives me one column vector where there should be 3, I think, since there should be some probability with each value of the quantum number m possible for the z component.

Another attempt was to try to find the eigenvalues of the Lx operator and to apply the 3 eigenvalues found as the probability to each vector but this didn't pan out so well. So here I am wondering how I might approach this problem in a different way. Any idea is appreciated.

You're on the right track. In terms of raising and lowering operators,
[itex]L_x = \frac{1}{2}(L_{+} + L_{-})[/itex]

The effect of the raising and lowering operators on eigenstates of [itex]L_z[/itex] are:
[itex]L_{+} |\mathcal{l}, m \rangle = \sqrt{\mathcal{l}(\mathcal{l}+1) - m(m+1)} |\mathcal{l}, m+1 \rangle[/itex]
[itex]L_{-} |\mathcal{l}, m \rangle = \sqrt{\mathcal{l}(\mathcal{l}+1) - m(m-1)} |\mathcal{l}, m-1 \rangle[/itex]

So the effect of [itex]L_x[/itex] on eigenstates of [itex]L_z[/itex] is:
[itex]L_x |\mathcal{l}, m \rangle [/itex]
[itex] = \frac{1}{2} (\sqrt{\mathcal{l}(\mathcal{l}+1) - m(m+1)} |\mathcal{l}, m+1 \rangle + \sqrt{\mathcal{l}(\mathcal{l}+1) - m(m-1)} |\mathcal{l}, m-1 \rangle)[/itex]

In the case [itex]l=1[/itex], we have 3 equations:
  1. [itex]L_{x} |1, -1\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1,0\rangle[/itex]
  2. [itex]L_{x} |1,0\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|1,1\rangle + |1,-1\rangle)[/itex]
  3. [itex]L_{x} |1,1\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1,0\rangle[/itex]

So if you assume that [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate of [itex]L_x[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]+1[/itex], then write:
[itex]|\psi\rangle = \alpha |1,-1\rangle + \beta |1,0\rangle + \gamma |1,1\rangle][/itex] and see what [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] have to be so that [itex]L_{x} |\psi\rangle = +1 |\psi\rangle[/itex]

In terms of matrices, if you represent [itex]|1, -1\rangle[/itex], [itex]|1,0\rangle[/itex], and |1,1\rangle[/itex] as
[itex]\left(\begin{array} \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)[/itex], [itex]\left(\begin{array} \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex] and [itex]\left(\begin{array} \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

then [itex]L_x[/itex] can be represented as:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\begin{array} \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 &1& 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

Then the problem becomes a matrix problem:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\begin{array} \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 &1& 0 \end{array} \right) \left(\begin{array} \\ \alpha \\ \beta \\ \gamma \end{array} \right)= \left(\begin{array} \\ \alpha \\ \beta \\ \gamma \end{array} \right)[/itex]

Thanks that makes a lot of sense that you would act on an unknown matrix to then equal the eigenvalue times that same unknown matrix. Then we can go and expand it out into a linear combination.

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your thought process and attempts at solving this problem. It seems like you are on the right track by considering the Lx operator and its eigenvalues. However, it is important to note that the Lx operator is not responsible for changing basis, but rather for measuring the angular momentum in the x direction.

To find the column vector in the z-basis that represents the initial orbital angular momentum state, we can use the eigenvalue equation for the Lz operator, which is responsible for measuring the angular momentum in the z direction. This equation is given by Lz|l,ml> = ml|l,ml>, where ml is the z component of the orbital angular momentum.

Since we are given |l,ml>x=|1,1>x, we can see that ml=1. Therefore, the corresponding column vector in the z-basis would be [0, 0, 1]. This means that there is a 100% probability of measuring the z component of the orbital angular momentum to be ml=1.

I hope this helps clarify the steps needed to solve this problem. It is important to carefully consider which operator is responsible for measuring the desired component of the angular momentum, and to use the corresponding eigenvalue equation.

Best,

1. What is orbital angular momentum (OAM)?

Orbital angular momentum is a quantum mechanical property of particles that describes their rotational motion around a central point or axis. It is also known as intrinsic angular momentum and is denoted by the letter l.

2. How does OAM change with a change of basis?

When a particle's state is described in one basis, the OAM value may be different than when it is described in another basis. This is because the basis vectors used to describe the state can affect the measurement of OAM.

3. What is the mathematical representation of a change of basis with OAM?

In quantum mechanics, a change of basis is represented by a unitary transformation matrix. For OAM, this matrix is called the rotation operator and is denoted by R.

4. How is OAM measured in experiments?

OAM can be measured in experiments using techniques such as interferometry, where the phase shift of a light beam passing through a spiral phase plate can be used to determine the OAM value of the beam. Other methods include diffraction patterns and polarization measurements.

5. What are the applications of OAM and its change of basis?

OAM has many applications in fields such as quantum information processing, optical communications, and microscopy. Its change of basis is important in understanding the behavior of particles and can be used to manipulate and control their properties for various applications.