Total Nuclear Angular Momentum

In summary, the possible values of the total nuclear spin ##J## are 1/2 and 3/2, with corresponding possible values of ##J_z## being 1/2, -1/2, 3/2, -3/2. This can be determined by adding the orbital angular momentum ##L## and spin angular momentum ##S##, as well as considering the number of states in each case.
BOAS

Homework Statement

The nucleons in a nucleus have a net orbital angular momentum ##L = 1## and spin angular momentum ##S = \frac{1}{2}##. What are the possible values of the total nuclear spin ##J##, i.e. the total angular momentum of the nucleus, and what are the possible values of ##J_z## in each case?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused about how to solve this question.

I know that the total angular momentum ##\vec{J} = \vec{L} + \vec{S}## and that the lengths of these vectors are ##|\vec{L}| = \sqrt{l(l+1)}## and ##\vec{S} = \sqrt{s(s+1)}## respectively (in units of ##\hbar##).

At a guess, I would say that the total nuclear spin can be 1/2 or 3/2, but I don't have a particularly convincing reason.

I'd really appreciate some help on what I need to understand to solve questions like this.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
At a guess, I would say that the total nuclear spin can be 1/2 or 3/2, but I don't have a particularly convincing reason.
That is correct, that's how angular momenta add in QM. What about the possible values of Jz?

kuruman said:
That is correct, that's how angular momenta add in QM. What about the possible values of Jz?

I think ##J_z = m_j \hbar## so the possible values should be ##j_z = \frac{3}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, -\frac{3}{2}, -\frac{1}{2}##

That is correct for J = 3/2. For J = 1/2 you have another pair of +1/2 and -1/2 values for a total of 6. Note that the number of states is
(2J1+1) + (2J2 + 1) = (2×3/2+ 1) + (2×1/2+1) = 4 + 2 = 6.
Counting the other (L + S) way, you get the same number of states
(2L + 1) (2S + 1) = (2×1 + 1)×(2×1/2 + 1) = 3×2 = 6
which is as it should be.

1. What is Total Nuclear Angular Momentum?

Total Nuclear Angular Momentum (TNAM) is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a nucleus. It is the sum of the individual angular momenta of all the protons and neutrons within the nucleus.

2. How is Total Nuclear Angular Momentum calculated?

TNAM is calculated by multiplying the spin quantum number of each nucleon (proton or neutron) by its corresponding angular momentum. The individual angular momenta are then added together to get the total angular momentum of the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of Total Nuclear Angular Momentum?

TNAM is an important quantity in nuclear physics as it helps to explain the behavior and properties of nuclei. It is also used in calculations to predict the stability and energy levels of different isotopes.

4. Can Total Nuclear Angular Momentum be changed?

Yes, TNAM can be changed through nuclear reactions such as fission or fusion. These reactions can alter the number of nucleons in a nucleus and therefore change its total angular momentum.

5. How is Total Nuclear Angular Momentum related to nuclear spin?

Total Nuclear Angular Momentum and nuclear spin are closely related, as TNAM determines the magnitude of nuclear spin. However, nuclear spin also takes into account the direction of the angular momentum, while TNAM only represents the magnitude.