Change of variables and gravity constants

In summary: So, going back to the eigenvalue equation, the k factor comes from the k*x_1 term in the equations of motion when using the shifted variables. This term represents the force from the first spring pulling on the second mass, which affects its motion and thus appears in the eigenvalue equation. In summary, the k factor in the eigenvalue equation comes from the k*x_1 term in the equations of motion when using shifted variables, which represents the force from the first spring acting on the second mass.
saybrook1

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I'm struggling to figure out how the solution in the picture that I posted was able to get rid of their mg factors and then come up with a factor of k for x_1 in their eigenvalue equation. You can see that in the second equation of motion there is no k*x_1 but it shows up in the eigenvalue equation. I thought you could just drop those mg factors when you went to figure out eigenvalues since they only effect the equilibrium positions. Thanks a bunch of any help.

Homework Equations

Lagrangian for two springs and two hanging masses. Change of variables.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to work out what the change of variables would be or how you would calculate it but not such luck yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• change of variables.jpg
    change of variables.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
saybrook1 said:

Homework Statement

You can see that in the second equation of motion there is no k*x_1 but it shows up in the eigenvalue equation.
Did you apply Lagrange's equations to the Lagrangian to check if the equations of motion are written correctly?

I thought you could just drop those mg factors when you went to figure out eigenvalues since they only effect the equilibrium positions.

I've tried to work out what the change of variables would be or how you would calculate it but not such luck yet.
Introduce new variables, ##y_1## and ##y_2##, that are just shifted versions of the old variables: ##y_1 = x_1 - a_1## and ##y_2 = x_2 - a_2##, where ##a_1## and ##a_2## are constants. Write the equations of motion in terms of the new variables and see if you can find values of the constants such that the mg terms disappear.

TSny said:
Did you apply Lagrange's equations to the Lagrangian to check if the equations of motion are written correctly?Introduce new variables, ##y_1## and ##y_2##, that are just shifted versions of the old variables: ##y_1 = x_1 - a_1## and ##y_2 = x_2 - a_2##, where ##a_1## and ##a_2## are constants. Write the equations of motion in terms of the new variables and see if you can find values of the constants such that the mg terms disappear.
Giving this a shot right now; Thank you very much. And yes the E.o.m.'s are correct.

saybrook1 said:
Giving this a shot right now;
OK
Thank you very much. And yes the E.o.m.'s are correct.
The second equation (the one for ##\ddot{x}_2##) is not correct. In particular, there appears to have been a mistake in calculating ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_2}##.

Likes BvU
TSny said:
Did you apply Lagrange's equations to the Lagrangian to check if the equations of motion are written correctly?Introduce new variables, ##y_1## and ##y_2##, that are just shifted versions of the old variables: ##y_1 = x_1 - a_1## and ##y_2 = x_2 - a_2##, where ##a_1## and ##a_2## are constants. Write the equations of motion in terms of the new variables and see if you can find values of the constants such that the mg terms disappear.
Okay, so I did come up with shifted variables that eliminated the mg's but I still can't figure out how they came up with that k*x_1 for the second line in the eigenvalue equation.

TSny said:
OK
The second equation (for ##\ddot{x}_2##) is not correct. In particular, there appears to have been a mistake in calculating ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_2}##.
Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out.

TSny said:
OK
The second equation (the one for ##\ddot{x}_2##) is not correct. In particular, there appears to have been a mistake in calculating ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_2}##.
Yeah, I just went through it and it's looking good now; I appreciate the help!

OK, great.

1. What is a change of variables in relation to gravity constants?

A change of variables is a mathematical technique used to transform a problem from one set of variables to another set of variables. In the context of gravity constants, it can be used to simplify calculations and better understand the behavior of gravitational forces between objects.

2. How does a change of variables affect the value of a gravity constant?

A change of variables does not affect the value of a gravity constant. The constant is a fundamental physical property that remains constant regardless of the variables used to describe the system.

3. Can a change of variables be applied to all gravitational systems?

Yes, a change of variables can be applied to any gravitational system. It is a universal mathematical technique that can be used to better understand and analyze the behavior of gravity in different situations.

4. Are there any limitations to using a change of variables in relation to gravity constants?

While a change of variables can be a powerful tool in understanding gravity constants, it is important to note that it is not always applicable. In some cases, the complexity of the system may make it difficult to find a suitable change of variables. Additionally, certain systems may not have a closed-form solution using a change of variables.

5. How can a change of variables be used to solve problems related to gravity constants?

A change of variables can be used to simplify complex gravitational problems by transforming them into a more manageable form. This can help in calculating the force of gravity between objects, determining orbital trajectories, and predicting the behavior of systems under the influence of gravity. It can also aid in visualizing and understanding the relationships between different variables in a gravitational system.