Changes in Decibels over a distance

• Thread starter rusty65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decibels
In summary: Keep in mind that the air absorption rate of 7.0 means that the intensity will decrease by a factor of 7 for every meter traveled. So for part 2, you will need to divide your intensity by 7 twice to account for the 5 meters of distance. And for part 3, you will need to divide your intensity by 7 three times to account for the 7.50 meters of distance.In summary, to find the sound level at various distances from the jet plane, you need to convert the sound energy given in Joules per second to watts, then use the inverse law of intensities to account for the distance, and finally use the decibel equation to find the sound level in decibels.
rusty65

Homework Statement

A jet plane emits 3.0×105 J of sound energy per second.
1) What is the sound level 21 m away?
2) Air absorbs sound at a rate of about 7.0 ; calculate what the sound level will be 5.00.
3) Calculate what the sound level will be 7.50 away from this jet plane, taking into account air absorption.

Homework Equations

J/s = W
inverse law of intensities: I_1*(r_1)^2=I_2*(r_2)^2
dB = 10log(I/I_o)
I_o = 1.0*10^-12

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is poor, I know, but this is the first problem like this I've come across.

I had no idea how to relate Joules per second to decibels, so I did the 1:1 conversion to Watts. Still having no idea how to relate watts to decibels, I used an online watt to decibel conversion engine. This gave me 300000 W = 54.8 dB, so I set off running with it.

From there I plugged 54.8 into the decibel formula:

54.8 = 10log(I/I_o) ---> 5.48 = log(I/I_o) ---> 10^5.48 = I/I_o
10^5.48 = 301995.172 ---> 301995.172 = I/I_o
I_o = 1.0*10^-12 ---> 301995.172*(1.0*10^-12) = I
I = 3.01995 * 10^-7

Using this intensity as I_1, and giving this initial intensity a distance of 1 from the jet, I plugged it into the inverse law of intensities:

I_1*(r_1)^2 = I_2*(r_2)^2
(3.01995*10^-7)*(1)^2 ---> 3.01995*10^-7 = I_2*(r_2)^2
3.01996*10^-7 = I_2*(21)^2 ---> (3.01995*10^-7)/441 = I_2
I_2 = 6.847959*10^-10

Then, I plugged this intensity value into the decibel equation, thinking it would give me the decibel level at 21 m:

dB = 10log((6.847959*10^-10)/(1.0*10^-12))

After calculating this, I got a value of 28.121 dB for part 1.
Unfortunately, masteringphysics has told me this is incorrect, and so I am out of ideas as to how to solve part 1, also rendering me incapable of solving parts 2 and 3. :mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution for part 1 is almost correct. The only mistake you made was in converting from watts to decibels. The correct conversion is:

dB = 10log(P/Po)

where P is the power in watts and Po is the reference power of 1.0*10^-12 watts. So the correct conversion for 300000 watts is:

dB = 10log(300000/1.0*10^-12) = 10log(3*10^17) = 10(17.477) = 174.77 dB

This is a much louder sound level than what you got before, which makes sense since the jet plane is emitting a lot of sound energy.

To solve parts 2 and 3, you can use the same method you used for part 1, but you will need to take into account the distance and the air absorption rate. For part 2, the distance is 5.00 m and for part 3, the distance is 7.50 m. You will also need to use the inverse law of intensities to account for the distance. So for part 2, your equation would look like:

I1*(1)^2 = I2*(5.00)^2

And for part 3, your equation would look like:

I1*(1)^2 = I2*(7.50)^2

Once you have calculated the new intensity values for parts 2 and 3, you can plug them into the decibel equation to find the sound level at those distances.

What is the relationship between decibels and distance?

The relationship between decibels and distance is known as the inverse square law. This means that as distance increases, the sound intensity decreases by the square of the distance.

Why do decibels decrease over a distance?

Decibels decrease over a distance because sound waves spread out as they travel, causing the sound energy to be distributed over a larger area. This leads to a decrease in sound intensity and a decrease in decibel level.

How does the environment affect changes in decibels over a distance?

The environment can have a significant impact on changes in decibels over a distance. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure can affect the speed of sound, which can in turn affect the rate at which decibels decrease over a distance.

What are some common applications of understanding changes in decibels over a distance?

Understanding changes in decibels over a distance is important in many fields, including acoustics, engineering, and environmental science. It can also be useful in noise control and in determining safe distances from loud noises.

How can changes in decibels over a distance be measured?

Changes in decibels over a distance can be measured using various tools, such as sound level meters or decibel meters. These devices measure the sound pressure level at different distances and can provide an accurate representation of the changes in decibels over a given distance.