Changing equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation discusses altering the parameters of a damped simple harmonic motion model to change the equilibrium position of the mass. Suggestions include changing the mass or spring constant, moving the mass-spring system to a higher bench, or attaching two identical springs to adjust the equilibrium point. However, it is also suggested that it may be simpler to just lift up the entire apparatus instead.
james6008
Hi

I have a damped simple harmonic motion model and I am altering the input force along with spring constant and damping constant. I can change the damping and spring constant to allow it to oscillate for few seconds before it stops at 0. What parameters do I need to change to alter the equilbrium position from 0 to let's say 10 or 20?

Physics news on Phys.org
Increase the mass or decrease the spring constant. Of course that will change the frequency also.

You could move the mass-spring system (assumed vertical) on to a higher bench. Then the equilibrium point will also be higher. This is a slightly joky answer, but not maliciously so…

Maybe you were looking for something more elaborate, Attach two identical springs to the mass, one running upwards to a support, A, and the other downwards to a support, B. Then the equilibrium position of the mass can be adjusted by moving B (or A) up and down. The effective spring constant will remain constant at twice that of each individual spring, provided the amplitude of oscillations isn't too big. This is what I first thought of, but then I thought: What's the point of all this? Might as well just lift up the whole apparatus...

Related to Changing equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion

1. How does changing the equilibrium point affect the damped simple harmonic motion?

Changing the equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion will shift the position of the system's equilibrium from its original point. This will cause the system to oscillate with a new amplitude and period, depending on the new equilibrium position.

2. What factors influence the equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion?

The equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion is influenced by three main factors: the mass of the system, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient. These factors determine the system's natural frequency, which in turn affects the equilibrium point.

3. Can the equilibrium point be changed without altering the system's natural frequency?

No, the equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion cannot be changed without altering the system's natural frequency. The natural frequency is determined by the mass, spring stiffness, and damping coefficient, which are all related to the equilibrium point.

4. How does changing the equilibrium point affect the energy of the system?

Changing the equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion will also affect the energy of the system. By shifting the equilibrium point, the system's potential energy will change, which will in turn affect the system's kinetic energy and total energy.

5. Is it possible to have a stable equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion?

No, it is not possible to have a stable equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion. This is because the damping force always acts to reduce the amplitude of the oscillations, causing the system to eventually reach its new equilibrium point and come to a stop.