Changing mouse cursor on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian Linux)

In summary: I think I need to look at the GIMP tutorials more closely.In summary, you edited the left_ptr and hand2 cursor files from the "cursors" folders within the themes "Adwaita" and "DMZ-white", but when you switch to the modified cursor themes, you don't see the modified cursors. You need to run lxappearance from a command prompt and tweak the settings.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I used GIMP to edit copies of certain cursor files called left_ptr and hand2 from the "cursors" folders within the theme directories /usr/share/icons/[theme name]/cursor. This was for the themes "Adwaita" and "DMZ-white".

Then I renamed the original cursor files and put the new edited versions in their place. When I switch to the modified cursor themes, I don't see the modified cursors -- even after a reboot. Why does this happen, and how can I activate the GIMP-edited cursor files?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is this LXDE? You probably need to run lxappearance from a command prompt and tweak the settings.

pbuk said:
Is this LXDE? You probably need to run lxappearance from a command prompt and tweak the settings.
That is how i select a cursor theme. But after selecting a theme containing a modified cursor file, i don't see the new cursor.

One possibility is that, of the large number of cursor files present in the folder, i haven't chosen the ones that actually provide the default arrow and hand cursors. If that's the case I'll have to determine which file provides the default arrow.

I just created a new theme folder called test, with a folder inside called cursors. Then I copied into it a single file (left_ptr) from the dmz_white theme. When I select the test cursor theme in lxappearance, I see that it takes the default pointer from that single file, and it inherits all the other cursors (hand, move, etc) from the theme that was in effect just before switching to test.

So that proves that left_ptr is indeed the default arrow file. But it doesn't reflect the design change done on it using GIMP.

Going to burrow further into this (rather pointless, actually) rabbit hole... Well not entirely pointless because I want a prominent cursor for capturing desktop video.

Swamp Thing said:
Going to burrow further into this (rather pointless, actually) rabbit hole... Well not entirely pointless because I want a prominent cursor for capturing desktop video.
Good luck, it sounds like a maze of cached/nested/recursive configuration files.

Turns out the cursor file has multiple layers. You need to edit all of them, because you don't know which layer will be used when. So now it's working!

Screenshot:

1660057151199.png

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and pbuk
When I read your last post, I thought the blue sqiggly arrow was the one you modded.

1. How do I change the mouse cursor on Raspberry Pi OS?

To change the mouse cursor on Raspberry Pi OS, you can go to the "Appearance Settings" in the "Preferences" menu. From there, you can select the "Mouse Cursor" tab and choose a different cursor theme from the drop-down menu.

2. Can I customize the mouse cursor on Raspberry Pi OS?

Yes, you can customize the mouse cursor on Raspberry Pi OS by downloading and installing new cursor themes from various sources online. However, please note that not all cursor themes may be compatible with Raspberry Pi OS.

3. How do I install new cursor themes on Raspberry Pi OS?

To install new cursor themes on Raspberry Pi OS, you can download them from online sources and then extract the files to the /usr/share/icons directory. You can then select the new cursor theme from the "Appearance Settings" as mentioned in the first question.

4. How do I revert back to the default cursor theme on Raspberry Pi OS?

To revert back to the default cursor theme on Raspberry Pi OS, you can simply select the "Raspberry Pi Default" option from the cursor theme drop-down menu in the "Appearance Settings".

5. Can I change the size of the mouse cursor on Raspberry Pi OS?

Yes, you can change the size of the mouse cursor on Raspberry Pi OS by going to the "Mouse Cursor" tab in the "Appearance Settings" and adjusting the "Size" slider. You can also choose to make the cursor larger or smaller by selecting the appropriate option from the drop-down menu.