Characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the characteristic equation for a given DE, but it is determined that this method does not apply to the given equation. Alternative methods such as the Cauchy-Euler method and the Frobenius method are mentioned as possible approaches to solving the DE.
knockout_artist

Homework Statement

x2 d2y/dx2 + 3x dy/dx + 5y = g(x)

Homework Equations

How do we find Characteristic equation for it.

The Attempt at a Solution

x2λ2 + 3xλ + 5 = 0
λ1 = 1/2 [-x2 + √ (x4 + 20 ) ]
λ2 = 1/2[ -x2 - √(x4 + 20) ]

I used 1/3 -/+ a √(a2 + 4b)
where
a = x2
b = 5

Physics news on Phys.org
knockout_artist said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If memory serves, the characteristic equation applies to the related nonhomogeneous DE -- ##x^2 y'' + 3x y' + 5y = 0##.
This is an example of an 2nd order Euler equation. One technique is to assume a solution of the form ##y = x^n##, and substitute it into the DE. For your nonhomogeneous equation, it depends on what g(x) is.
See https://www.math24.net/second-order-euler-equation/
knockout_artist said:

x2λ2 + 3xλ + 5 = 0
I have no idea what you're doing here.
knockout_artist said:

where
a = x2
b = 5

Likes knockout_artist
knockout_artist said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x2λ2 + 3xλ + 5 = 0

where
a = x2
b = 5

Forget characteristic equations: they do not apply in this problem. They are for constant coefficient linear DEs, but your DE has coefficients that are functions of ##x##.

Likes knockout_artist
Ray Vickson said:
Forget characteristic equations: they do not apply in this problem.
The old saying applies here: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
As Ray said (and I forgot), characteristic equations are applicable only to constant coefficient linear differential equations, and specifically to homogeneous DEs of that type.

If you need a quick reference, the method is called cauchy-euler (I think this is the name). There is also an equivalent form using a log, worth it to know both versions. t I believe you can also use Frobineous Method, due to the analytical point. Its been years since I solved a differential equation.

1. What is the characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient?

The characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient is a mathematical equation that is used to find the roots or solutions of a quadratic equation. It is in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a is the coefficient of the x^2 term.

2. How is the characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient derived?

The characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient is derived by using the quadratic formula, which is -b ± √(b^2 - 4ac) / 2a. The values of a, b, and c are taken from the original quadratic equation, ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

3. What are the significance and applications of the characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient?

The characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to find the roots of quadratic equations. It is also used to solve problems related to motion, optimization, and financial models.

4. How many solutions can the characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient have?

The characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient can have either two real solutions, one real solution, or two complex solutions. This depends on the value of the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, which determines the nature of the roots.

5. Is there any other method to solve quadratic equations with x^2 coefficient?

Yes, there are other methods such as factoring, completing the square, and graphing. However, the characteristic equation with x^2 coefficient is the most efficient and accurate method to find the solutions of a quadratic equation.