Charge Between two conductors & The Method of Image Charges

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving mirror charges and an infinite series. The person asking for help is unsure about their solution and mentions an equation, Φ(z=0) ≠ 0, that may be relevant. They also mention searching for a similar problem online. The response mentions the need for each mirror image charge to be mirrored in both plates, resulting in an infinite series. The person asking for help then asks for clarification on the series or how the answer should look. A link to a potential resource is also provided.
Othman0111

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

2019-03-09 21.12.56.jpg

I'm sure my solution is wrong because of Φ(z=0) ≠ 0

I searched the internet for a similar problem but I couldn't. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 599
  • 2019-03-09 21.12.56.jpg
    2019-03-09 21.12.56.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 643
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
Othman0111 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 240018

Homework Equations

View attachment 240020

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 240019

I'm sure my solution is wrong because of Φ(z=0) ≠ 0

I searched the internet for a similar problem but I couldn't. Any help will be appreciated.
Each mirror image charge in one plate needs to be mirrored in the other plate, leading to an infinite series.

haruspex said:
Each mirror image charge in one plate needs to be mirrored in the other plate, leading to an infinite series.

Can you tell me the series or how the answer look like

Othman0111 said:
Can you tell me the series or how the answer look like
http://physicspages.com/pdf/Griffiths%20EM/Griffiths%20Problems%2003.35.pdf

Likes Othman0111

1. What is the definition of charge between two conductors?

The charge between two conductors refers to the amount of electric charge that is present on each of the two conductors. This charge is determined by the properties of the conductors and the surrounding environment.

2. How is the charge between two conductors calculated?

The charge between two conductors can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the method of image charges?

The method of image charges is a technique used to solve problems involving conductors in the presence of a charge. It involves creating a mirror image of the charge on the other side of the conductor to simplify the problem and find the electric field and potential.

4. When is the method of image charges most useful?

The method of image charges is most useful when dealing with conductors in the presence of a point charge or a charged plane. It simplifies the problem by reducing it to a single charge and its mirror image, allowing for easier calculation of the electric field and potential.

5. What are the limitations of the method of image charges?

The method of image charges is limited to problems involving conductors and point charges or charged planes. It also assumes that the conductors are perfect and have no imperfections or irregularities. Additionally, it cannot be used for problems involving multiple charges or complex geometries.