Using Gauss' law to find the induced surface charge density ##\sigma##

Meow12
Homework Statement
A thin insulating rod with charge density ##\lambda=\rm+5\ nC/m## is arranged inside a thin conducting cylindrical shell of radius ##R=\rm 3\ cm##. The rod and shell are on the same axis, and you can assume they are both infinite in length. What is the SURFACE charge density ##\sigma## induced on the OUTSIDE of the conducting shell in ##\rm C/m^2##?
Relevant Equations
Statement of Gauss's Law: ##\displaystyle\oint\limits\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##
physics.png
My attempt:

The electric field in the interior of a conductor is ##0##.

By symmetry, the electric field is directed radially outward.

Take the Gaussian surface as the thin cylindrical shell of radius ##\rm 3\ cm## and length ##L##.

##\displaystyle\oint\limits\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##

Since ##E=0## everywhere, ##Q=0##

##\lambda L+\sigma\cdot 2\pi R L=0##

##\lambda+2\pi R\sigma=0##

##\displaystyle\sigma=\rm-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi R}##

Upon substituting the values, we get ##\rm\sigma=-2.6\times 10^{-7}\ C/m^2##

##\sigma_{outside}=\rm+2.6\times 10^{-7}\ C/m^2=\rm +260\ nC/m^2##

But the correct answer is ##\rm +26\ nC/m^2##. I'm off by a factor of ##10##; where have I gone wrong?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Meow12 said:
##\displaystyle\sigma=\rm-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi R}##

Upon substituting the values, we get ##\rm\sigma=-2.6\times 10^{-7}\ C/m^2##
Your formula is correct. When I substitute the values, I get a result that is about 1/10 of your value. Check your work. If you still aren't getting the correct value, show the numerical values that you used in the formula.

• Informative
Likes Meow12 and berkeman
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!Your formula is correct. When I substitute the values, I get a result that is about 1/10 of your value. Check your work. If you still aren't getting the correct value, show the numerical values that you used in the formula.
Yeah, I had made a silly calculation mistake. Thanks for your post.

Likes berkeman and TSny

1. How do you use Gauss' law to find the induced surface charge density?

To find the induced surface charge density ##\sigma## using Gauss' law, you first need to select a Gaussian surface that encloses the charged object or system. Then, calculate the electric flux through the Gaussian surface. Finally, apply Gauss' law which relates the total electric flux through a closed surface to the total charge enclosed by that surface.

2. What is the formula for Gauss' law?

The formula for Gauss' law is given by: \[ \Phi_E = \frac{Q_{\text{enc}}}{\varepsilon_0} \] where ##\Phi_E## is the electric flux through a closed surface, ##Q_{\text{enc}}## is the total charge enclosed by the surface, and ##\varepsilon_0## is the permittivity of free space.

3. When can Gauss' law be applied to find the induced surface charge density?

Gauss' law can be applied to find the induced surface charge density when the system or object has sufficient symmetry such that the electric field can be easily calculated using symmetry arguments. This is because Gauss' law depends on the symmetry of the system to simplify the calculation of the electric flux.

4. Can Gauss' law be used for any type of surface charge distribution?

Gauss' law can be used for any type of surface charge distribution as long as the system or object exhibits sufficient symmetry. The symmetry of the system allows for the calculation of the electric field, which in turn helps in determining the induced surface charge density using Gauss' law.

5. What are some common applications of using Gauss' law to find the induced surface charge density?

Some common applications of using Gauss' law to find the induced surface charge density include analyzing the behavior of conductors, capacitors, and dielectric materials. By determining the induced surface charge density, scientists and engineers can better understand the distribution of charges on surfaces and the resulting electric fields within the system.