Charge & Current in a Circuit: V, R, C, & t

In summary: This will tell you how much the voltage has had to change to create that charge. The current through the resistor will be the derivative of that voltage.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a battery and resistors that split into two branches, one with a capacitor and one with a resistor. The expression for charge in the capacitor branch is given by Q = CV(1-e^(-t/(RC))). The task is to find the charge on the capacitor and the current through the battery after a very long time (t >> RC). To solve this, one must consider the voltage at any point as t approaches infinity, taking into account the presence of the capacitor. The voltage across the capacitor terminals will be the same as if the
EROC

Homework Statement

There is a circuit with a battery of voltage V and resistor R, then splits into two branches one with a capacitor C, and one with a resistor 2R.

The answers for the questions can only depend on R, C, V, and t.

When a switch only allows current to flow through the capacitor branch, the expression for charge is:

##Q = C V (1-e^{-t/(RC)})##

a) When the switch is closed, find an expression for the charge on the capacitor after a very long time (t >> RC)

b) When the switch is closed, find an expression for the current through the battery after a very long time (t >> RC)

Homework Equations

##Q = C V (1-e^{-t/(RC)})##

Current through resistor R:
##I = (V / R) e^{-t/(RC)}##

Current through resistor 2R:
##I = (-V / 2R) e^{-t/(2RC)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I tried taking the limit of the charge as t goes to infinity and got my answer to be CV, but I only received 1/4 possible points for the problem so I either didn't do it right or didn't show all the work.

b) I tried taking the limit of the current and t goes to infinity and got my answer to be 0, but that is also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi EROC. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

1) A good diagram is essential! It helps you explain what you are talking about, helps those who respond, and helps other students understand what is going on.

2) For the voltage at any point as t → ∞, consider what it would be if the capacitor were not in the crcuit. That's what it will settle at when the capacitor is present, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
To rephrase the questions with the actual diagram (because I didn't know how to upload it with the diagram because it said no attachments)
circuit.jpg

a)When S1 and S2 are closed, find an expression for the charge on the capacitor after a very long time (t >> RC)

NascentOxygen said:
2) For the voltage at any point as t → ∞, consider what it would be if the capacitor were not in the crcuit. That's what it will settle at when the capacitor is present, too.

So there would be the voltage of V-IR on the capacitor but what would be the charge, would I just have to solve for ##Q=C(V-IR)## and then solve for the current when acting like the capacitor is not in the circuit.

b)When S1 and S2 are closed, find an expression for the current through the battery after a very long time (t >> RC)

Once you establish what the voltage across the capacitor terminals will be, find the charge on its plates using Q=CV

a) To find the charge on the capacitor after a very long time (t >> RC), we can take the limit of the expression for charge as t approaches infinity:

##\lim_{t\to\infty} Q = C V (1-e^{-t/(RC)})##

Since ##e^{-t/(RC)}## approaches 0 as t approaches infinity, the expression simplifies to:

##\lim_{t\to\infty} Q = C V (1-0) = C V##

Therefore, the charge on the capacitor after a very long time is CV.

b) To find the current through the battery after a very long time (t >> RC), we can use the expression for current through the resistor R:

##I = (V / R) e^{-t/(RC)}##

Taking the limit as t approaches infinity, we get:

##\lim_{t\to\infty} I = (V / R) (0) = 0##

Therefore, the current through the battery after a very long time is 0. This makes sense since, after a long time, the capacitor will become fully charged and no more current will flow through the circuit.

What is charge in a circuit?

Charge is a physical property of matter that describes the amount of electrical force an object has. In a circuit, charge refers to the movement of electrons through a conductor.

What is current in a circuit?

Current is the rate of flow of charge in a circuit. It is measured in units of amperes (A).

What are V, R, and C in a circuit?

V, R, and C are variables that represent important components in a circuit. V stands for voltage, which is the potential difference between two points in a circuit. R stands for resistance, which is the opposition to the flow of current in a circuit. C stands for capacitance, which is the ability of a capacitor to store charge.

What is the relationship between V, R, and C?

V, R, and C are related by Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage (V) in a circuit is equal to the product of the current (I) and the resistance (R), or V = IR. The relationship between V and C is described by the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge stored in a capacitor and C is the capacitance.

How does time (t) affect charge and current in a circuit?

Time (t) is a variable that can affect charge and current in a circuit in various ways. For instance, the rate at which a capacitor charges or discharges is affected by the time constant, which is a product of resistance and capacitance (RC). In addition, the behavior of current in an alternating current (AC) circuit is affected by the period (T) and frequency (f), which are inversely related to time.