Charge Operators & Electric Charge - Wikipedia

• I
  • Thread starter Superfluid universe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary: There are many different quantum numbers, depending on the specific system or particle being studied. Some examples include spin quantum number, isospin quantum number, and strangeness quantum number. There are also hypothetical quantum numbers, such as color quantum number in the theory of quantum chromodynamics. The number of quantum numbers varies depending on the specific theory being studied.
Superfluid universe
In the wikipedia article about Charge, it says that when the symmetry group is a Lie group, then the charge operators correspond to the simple roots of the root system of the Lie algebra. So for U(1) group, how do the simple roots show that the charge in question is the electric charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
Superfluid universe said:
So for U(1) group, how do the simple roots show that the charge in question is the electric charge?

I'm not sure what you mean. Electric charge is defined as the charge associated with the U(1) symmetry of the electromagnetic interaction.

Likes Superfluid universe
Hello, thank you for replying to me. :)
Well, i mean how does the charge "correspond" to the simple roots then?

Likes Superfluid universe
Thanks for replying to me, Peter. I get that it is complicated, but is there any way of explaining it a bit simplified? At least what they mean by "correspond to".

is there any way of explaining it a bit simplified?

I don't know that there is.

At least what they mean by "correspond to".

Note that the article says the charge operators correspond to simple roots, not the charge quantum numbers. The charge quantum numbers (i.e., things like ##-1## for the electron) correspond to weights of representations. Not that that necessarily simplifies things, but it should make clear that there are two different correspondences involved, because there are two different concepts associated with "charge", the operators (things that act on states) and the quantum numbers (the numbers you get when you act on states with charge operators).

"Note that the article says the charge operators correspond to simple roots, not the charge quantum numbers."

Ah, i thought they used "charge operator" and "charge" as synonyms. Thanks for engaging with me.

May I ask if there are more quantum numbers than stated in this article?

Look at the section of the article titled "How many quantum numbers exist?".

Yes, i read that paragraph. But since they didn't give any examples of other quantum numbers, i asked you. :)

1. What is a charge operator?

A charge operator, also known as an electric charge operator, is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the electric charge of a particle. In simple terms, it is a way to quantify the amount of electric charge that a particle possesses.

2. How is electric charge defined?

Electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that describes the amount of electrical force that a particle experiences. It is typically represented by the symbol "Q" and is measured in units of coulombs (C).

3. What are the different types of electric charge?

There are two types of electric charge: positive and negative. These charges are found in particles such as protons (positive) and electrons (negative), and can also be created or destroyed through various physical processes.

4. What is the relationship between charge operators and electric charge?

The charge operator is a mathematical concept used to describe the electric charge of a particle. It is related to the physical property of electric charge, but it is a more abstract concept that is used in quantum mechanics to make predictions about the behavior of particles.

5. How does electric charge affect the behavior of particles?

Electric charge plays a significant role in determining the behavior of particles. Particles with opposite charges are attracted to each other, while particles with the same charge repel each other. This allows for the formation of complex structures, such as atoms and molecules, and is also responsible for many fundamental forces in nature, such as electromagnetism.