Charged capacitor + piece of aluminum = very large flash

In summary, a military project hooked up many large capacitors to a bar of aluminum and the end result was an extremely bright explosion.
adamnation
I have heard of a project where the military hooks up many large capacitors (with short discharge time coefficients) to a bar of aluminum and the end result is an extremely bright explosion.
Could someone expand on exactly what is happening here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I hadn't heard of any specific stories about the military but what you describe sounds like charging up a series of capacitors and discharging them in one quick event. In school we had 100,000 uF defib capacitors that we would charge up to about 400 volts and discharge with alligator leads. Sounded about like a 12 gauge shotgun.

Last edited:
If you crowbar a big bank of capacitors, bad things usually happen whether you use aluminum bar, steel bar or gold bar. As the charge in the caps get discharged in matter sub nano second. Can you imagine the amount of current it pass through the bar.

Just use a small cap of 1uF charge to 1V. There is 1X10EE-6 coulomb. Say it discharge in 1nS (1X`10EE-9).

[tex]Q=It\;\Rightarrow\; I=\frac Q t= 1000A[/tex]

Of cause any resistance will limit the current flow and takes longer to discharge. But if you charge to say 100V with a bank of capacitor of 10,000uF...You get the drift?

Bad things usually happen when passing that kind of current if you are not careful. In that short duration of discharge time, there is no time for heat to conduct away, tremendous hot spot create and vaporize anything with slightest resistance.

I worked in the other extreme. I worked with high voltage. We used Kilovac HV relay for switching the HV lines. We always use precaution to power down the voltage before switching, but sometimes an arc somewhere cause the relay to chatter and it burn the relay very often. We make every precaution to limit the current. But just discharging the capacitance of the coax cable cause the fuse of the relay contact.

Even you say that's only 200pF in the coax. But if you charge to 5KV, discharge in 1nS. Use the formula I gave, you'll find it's still a lot of amps going through. We had to switch to relays with tungsten contacts. Still it can only take so many hits before it fail also.

Not all capacitor can produce tremendous current. I was a photographer for a while, I have those really powerful flash units that produce big flashes. They have to use special capacitors, I think they are the low loss or something. Usually they are short and stubby. They are similar to those used in switching power supply. Those can produce more current when discharged as they have lower parasitic resistance.

Last edited:

What causes a charged capacitor to create a large flash when combined with a piece of aluminum?

A charged capacitor contains stored electrical energy, which can be released in the form of a flash when it comes into contact with a piece of aluminum. This is due to the capacitor's ability to discharge its stored energy quickly and the highly conductive nature of aluminum.

Is the size of the flash dependent on the size of the capacitor or the piece of aluminum?

The size of the flash is primarily dependent on the size of the capacitor and the amount of stored energy it has. However, the size and conductivity of the aluminum can also play a role in the intensity of the flash.

Can any type of capacitor be used to create a large flash with aluminum?

In theory, any type of capacitor can be used to create a large flash with aluminum as long as it has enough stored energy. However, certain types of capacitors, such as electrolytic capacitors, are better suited for this purpose due to their higher capacitance and ability to discharge quickly.

Is it dangerous to combine a charged capacitor with a piece of aluminum to create a large flash?

Yes, it can be dangerous to combine a charged capacitor with a piece of aluminum, especially if the capacitor has a high voltage and large capacitance. The sudden discharge of electrical energy can cause burns, electric shock, and even start fires. It is important to take proper safety precautions when conducting this experiment.

What are some practical applications of creating a large flash with a charged capacitor and aluminum?

This phenomenon has various practical applications, such as in photography, where it can be used to trigger a camera flash, or in strobe lights, where it can create a bright and quick burst of light. It can also be used in scientific experiments and demonstrations to illustrate the concept of electrical discharge.