Charged capacitors connected in series

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two similar charged capacitors joined in series. The participants question why both capacitors do not get discharged when they are connected, and discuss the relevance of mathematical equations and the concept of a complete circuit. They also consider different interpretations of the problem and its possible solutions.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

cap.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered N=2 .

Two similar charged capacitors are joined in series i.e positive plate of one is joined to negative of the other .

If I consider that there is no movement of charge since both the capacitors are similar and having equal charge I get option 2) . Is that correct ?

I don't have the answer key .

But I am just wondering why both the capacitors don't get discharged .Since positive plate of one is connected to negative plate of the second , shouldn't the capacitors get completely discharged ?

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 926
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
If I consider that there is no movement of charge since both the capacitors are similar and having equal charge I get option 2) . Is that correct ?
You should be able to determine whether or not this is the case this mathematically. What are the relevant equations?
Jahnavi said:
But I am just wondering why both the capacitors don't get discharged .Since positive plate of one is connected to negative plate of the second , shouldn't the capacitors get completely discharged ?
Without a completed circuit charge won't move; the charges on the plates will be held there by the close proximity of the opposite charge on the other plate. Remember, there's essentially no electric field outside the region between the plates, and the individual capacitors are overall neutrally charged, so there's no potential difference to draw the charges away from the plates.

Likes Jahnavi
gneill said:
You should be able to determine whether or not this is the case this mathematically. What are the relevant equations?

Yes . I also want to derive it mathematically . But I don't understand how maths is used in this problem . Q=CV is the only relevant equation I can think .

For N=2 , two similar capacitors are equally charged and then connected with each other such that positive of one is connected with negative of the other . A complete circuit is formed .

gneill said:
Without a completed circuit charge won't move;

I think a complete circuit is formed .

Isn't there a potential difference between the positive plate of first capacitor and negative plate of second capacitor ? This will drive the charge from positive plate to negative plate . This way both get discharged and become neutral .

Jahnavi said:
Yes . I also want to derive it mathematically . But I don't understand how maths is used in this problem . Q=CV is the only relevant equation I can think .
Don't you have an equation for the energy stored in a capacitor?
For N=2 , two similar capacitors are equally charged and then connected with each other such that positive of one is connected with negative of the other . A complete circuit is formed .
No! A circuit, as the word suggests, is a closed path (like a circle). You should be able to trace a path from some starting location and without retracing any portion, arrive back at the starting point.
Isn't there a potential difference between the positive plate of first capacitor and negative plate of second capacitor ? This will drive the charge from positive plate to negative plate . This way both get discharged and become neutral .
Nope. No field outside of the regions between plates and the capacitors are overall neutral since they contain equal amounts of positive and negative charge.

Likes Jahnavi
gneill said:
No! A circuit, as the word suggests, is a closed path (like a circle). You should be able to trace a path from some starting location and without retracing any portion, arrive back at the starting point.

I think we are interpreting the " Now if they are separated and joined in series " differently .

You are interpreting this as negative plate of first capacitor joined to positive plate of second . Negative plate of second capacitor is free .Positive plate of first is free .I am interpreting this as negative plate of first capacitor joined to positive plate of second AND negative plate of second joined back to positive plate of the first .

Is that wrong ?

Jahnavi said:
I am interpreting this as negative plate of first capacitor joined to positive plate of second AND negative plate of second joined back to positive plate of the first .

Is that wrong ?
I think that, with the given list of answers to select from, the circuit cannot be closed. The two endmost capacitors must each have a free lead. If there was a closed circuit there would be no potential difference (where would you measure it?) and all the charges would be able to recombine and the net energy remaining would be zero.

Likes Jahnavi
gneill said:
I think that, with the given list of answers to select from, the circuit cannot be closed. The two endmost capacitors must each have a free lead.

OK .

gneill said:
Don't you have an equation for the energy stored in a capacitor?

Total energy stored in the capacitors = N(1/2)CV2

After rearrangement , total energy stored = (1/2)(C/N)(NV)2

Both are equal . So total energy remains same but potential difference across the combination becomes NV .

This gives Option 2) .

Right ?

Sounds good to me :smile:

gneill said:
the charges on the plates will be held there by the close proximity of the opposite charge on the other plate. Remember, there's essentially no electric field outside the region between the plates, and the individual capacitors are overall neutrally charged, so there's no potential difference to draw the charges away from the plates.

Why does the above logic fails in the below case (with the way I was interpreting ) ?

gneill said:
If there was a closed circuit there would be no potential difference (where would you measure it?) and all the charges would be able to recombine and the net energy remaining would be zero.

What I would like to understand is that if the capacitors are joined in series and a closed circuit is formed , why does charges recombine ? Why are charges on a plate not able to keep opposite charge on the other plate of the same capacitor attracted ? There is still no electric field outside the capacitor .

Suppose you have a string of charged capacitors connected in series and in a circular fashion with the final connection being made by a (currently open) switch. The potential difference across the open switch contacts, being the sum of the potential differences of all the capacitors, would exceed the potential difference between the plates of the two end capacitors. Hence there is a stronger field across the switch than there is between the plates of those capacitors.

Closing the switch, the charges on the plates will "see" a conductive path to follow across a significant (if short lived) potential difference. As the charges leave the the connected plates and start to recombine, this loosens the grip on the charges held on the opposite plates in the capacitors. In order to keep the facing plates at equal and opposite charges (and the capacitors overall neutral), the excess charges will migrate out of the capacitor leads and be driven towards the plate of the next capacitor in line where they can combine with the charges there. The process ripples down the line, driving a current through the circuit.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is the total capacitance of charged capacitors connected in series?

The total capacitance of charged capacitors connected in series is calculated by adding the reciprocals of each individual capacitance and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. In other words, Ctotal = 1 / (1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ...).

2. How does connecting capacitors in series affect the overall voltage?

Connecting capacitors in series increases the overall voltage. This is because the charge stored in each capacitor remains the same, but the total capacitance decreases, leading to a higher voltage according to the equation Q = CV.

3. Can charged capacitors connected in series discharge at the same time?

No, charged capacitors connected in series cannot discharge at the same time. This is because the charge stored in each capacitor is the same, but the capacitance varies. Therefore, the current will flow through the capacitor with the lowest capacitance first, and then through each subsequent capacitor in series.

4. What happens to the energy stored in the capacitors when they are connected in series?

The energy stored in the capacitors remain the same when they are connected in series. This is because the energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the capacitance and the square of the voltage, and both of these values remain constant when capacitors are connected in series.

5. How does the equivalent capacitance of capacitors connected in series compare to the individual capacitances?

The equivalent capacitance of capacitors connected in series is always less than the individual capacitances. This is because the total capacitance is calculated by adding the reciprocals of each capacitance, which results in a smaller value compared to the individual capacitances.