Charged liquid jet instability

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of instability of an infinitely long charged liquid jet. The surface charge density changes when there is a change in surface profile, resulting in an electric energy change of E. The charging system, connected to the liquid jet through a constant voltage V, has an energy change of -2E. The paper being read states this result without proof and the person is seeking a theorem to explain it. A potential resource for this problem is provided.
weiwei
I am dealing with a problem of instability of an infinitely long charged liquid jet. When there is a change is surface profile(which originally is a column with radius R), it surface charge density changes, thus the electric energy change of the liquid jet is E (due to surface charge density change), the charging system (a constant voltage V connected to the liquid jet) has energy change -2E, the paper I am reading just gives this result without proving it. So I am trying my luck here to see if any theorem can explain it.

Physics news on Phys.org
weiwei said:
I am dealing with a problem of instability of an infinitely long charged liquid jet. When there is a change is surface profile(which originally is a column with radius R), it surface charge density changes, thus the electric energy change of the liquid jet is E (due to surface charge density change), the charging system (a constant voltage V connected to the liquid jet) has energy change -2E, the paper I am reading just gives this result without proving it. So I am trying my luck here to see if any theorem can explain it.

Zoiks! This is a tough problem. I found this:

https://web.duke.edu/uphyl/pubs/Chen_11_Springer_EHD_Stability.pdf

It seems to discuss your problem. Good luck!

1. What is "Charged liquid jet instability"?

Charged liquid jet instability refers to the phenomenon in which a liquid jet, such as a stream of water, becomes unstable and breaks into smaller droplets due to the presence of an electric charge.

2. What causes charged liquid jet instability?

The instability is caused by the electrohydrodynamic (EHD) force, which is the interaction between the electric field and the liquid jet. This force can overcome the surface tension of the liquid, causing the jet to break apart.

3. What are the applications of studying charged liquid jet instability?

Understanding this phenomenon has practical applications in fields such as inkjet printing, electrospinning, and electrospraying. It can also help improve our understanding of the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.

4. How is charged liquid jet instability studied?

Scientists use experimental methods such as high-speed imaging and particle tracking to observe the behavior of charged liquid jets. Mathematical models and simulations are also used to study the underlying physics of the instability.

5. Can charged liquid jet instability be controlled?

Yes, it is possible to control the instability by adjusting the electric field strength, liquid properties, and the distance between the jet and the target surface. This can be useful for achieving desired jet behavior in applications such as inkjet printing.